Yeah, Not For Me | The Eh Files volume 7

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Paper Bindings | The Eh Files

For all those books rated from DNF to, but not including, three stars, I present to you The 'Eh' Files. At the end of each month I'll be listing all those books that make this category. Since I am aware that some books that are not my cup of tea, but may be something other readers enjoy, I'll include a couple of sentences explaining my rating choice.


So here is the latest batch:

  • Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr - 1/5 stars
  • Legacy by Cayla Kluver - 2/5 stars


carnival of secrets / carnival of souls by melissa marr
Carnival of Secrets (formerly Carnival of Souls) by Melissa Marr
♥  (paranormal, instalove, SHS)

Oh, this is a hard review to write. I really, really wanted to like this book.  But that was just not meant to be.

Where do I even start this review? I had so many issues with this book. I know where I'd like to begin, but I think I need to start at the beginning. This book is told in four main point of views. I say main, because anyone who might be important it seems they get their own chapter. Or maybe it just felt that way. The problem is we don't spend enough time in certain characters heads to really get them.

Or maybe the character *cough* Mallory *cough* was just too bland that an entire book in her head wouldn't be enough to get a feel for her.

But she was just so special, we should have been awed in her presence. Except she was beyond useless. And yet, I couldn't blame her, but rather I blamed everyone else in the book for the secret they kept from her. I get not telling a five year old, and I can see pushing that into young adulthood if you are able to. But there is a certain point when you are actively doing harm to the character by not telling her who he father is and what she is.

That was the second most annoying thing about the book. WHY DID NO ONE TELL HER ANYTHING? I mean you have active assassins and kidnappers coming after her, but instead of the story progressing with her asking questions and learning like any other novel out there, she just float along in her bubble of magic ignorance.

(Paraphrasing) (Threatens, but has no real intention of doing so.) "Well I'm just going to go ask the guy, that no one wants me to meet, what it was that Adam/Dad/Witch stole from him."

Yeah, you do that girl. How about on a silver platter too? *smacks head on desk*
Really, after a certain point, you couldn't even say it was to protect her.

And the treatment of women in this book was horrendous. They existed to be *bleeped* and breed. Now I don't mind when authors tackle issues with their books, but you need a character capable rising above it or changing things. Except, I can't even believe Mallory is -pardon the cliché- capable of finding her way out of a paper bag. Hope you have fun being daddy's little broodmare, kid.

Did anything add up to mean anything?
Nope, it all led to the moment that almost had me throwing the book across the room. (The only thing that save the book from that fate was the fact it was a library book, and I wasn't paying a cent to replace it.)

Our spectacular love interest does something about 260 pages in that is not redeemable in my eyes. I know you don't "know what love is" being a cur and all, but if it makes you feel slimy, and you're afraid to tell her what you did.....NOT LOVE.

Just saying.

I haven't been that angry with a character from any book in a very long. The thought of it the deed itself annoyed me, and the consummation of the act had me down right livid. NOT LOVE!!! Not even your insta-soulmate, suck face kind of love. Spare me your motives boy, you are acting on your wounded pride. You are just lucky I'm not her when the truth comes out....

But other than that, the book was interesting. The world could have easily keep me entertained if it wasn't for the aforementioned major issues. So if I recommend reading it or not, will all depend on if you can stomach certain things long enough to get into the story. The book just kind of just ended, but right before it did, things drastically improved. I'm not going to read more because of the deed that I cannot stomach, but if the issue wasn't there, I might be curious enough to read more. Of course if it wasn't there, my rating of this would be higher too.




Legacy by Cayla Kluver
♥♥ (fantasy, instalove, SHS)

I really, really wanted to like this book. And overall, it wasn't a BAD book, it just wasn't as good as it needed to be, as good as it could have been.
The story itself was interesting. Princess forced to court a man she despises in a world dominated by men. Along comes a boy raised in a female dominated society who sees her as more than a breedable waste of space. Only it took about a billion pages for him to arrive. Paragraph two of the blurb promised me his arrival. I found myself counting the pages for him to show up so I could get a move on with the book.
But once he was there, things still dragged. I cannot tell you how the time frame this book spanned because practically every single chapter jumped forward, then we had several mini jumps in some places. A year? More? It was hard to keep track.
This is one of those books that could really benefit from some tight editing and dumping 100 pages or so. The story wasn't bad, but those slow bits hurt it. If things were trimmed some, I really do think the story could have improved drastically.
The only other real issue I had was our heroine. She felt younger than she should have been and I had to keep reminding myself of her age. She also, sadly, suffered from Silly Heroine Syndrome. She didn't ask the proper questions at times, made foolish hormone fueled decisions, and well, quite frankly if that barn lapse in judgment doesn't lead to more than I think it already has, I'll be shocked.  

2 comments:

  1. "Silly Heroine Syndrome"?!! *collapses giggling* Omg, that is the best thing I've heard all day. And the "Eh Files"?! YES!! OH YES. I nearly shelve mine under "meh" but I guess that's not too kind and I try to always like books I read but some are just dismal whirlpools. To be honest, neither of these appeal to me and I hadn't even heard of them before, so I'm pretty happy to skip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure where my bookclub got Silly Heroine Syndrome, but since then we've kind of ran with it. With our new SHS case files, I'm sure that term will be coming up more and more here. Or maybe we are just crazy like that. :)

      I debated a long time about whether or not to do the Eh Files. (As you can see we are only on #7.) But I really do think it's important to say WHY you dislike a book. Because a one start rating with no reasoning is a lot different than a one start rating with valid reasoning. Like book number one up there could have been the best book ever written, but it hit a trigger of mine, so it was never going to be a favorite. But for someone else, that issues might have been as insignificant as dust.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...