Better off Friends (review)

Monday, May 12, 2014


Title: Better Off Friends
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Release Date: February 25th, 2014
Stars: 4

"For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?
From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?"
Better off Friends is a contemporary YA that follows two friends over the course of their junior and high school lives. Levi moves from California to Wisconsin, and it's more than just a culture shock for him. Meanwhile, Macallan is in a rough place in her life. But fate has a strange way of looking out for you, a random incident involving a British TV show reference, proves to them they have something in common. From there the duo quickly become best friends, but only friends. What follows is a tale of growing up and finding yourselves. So what happens when the person you realize you are in, is the one person you think it might be too disastrous develop feelings for?

I'm not a big contemporary book fan, YA or not. I've just prefer a world of fantastical. But I've been trying to branch out and have added a bunch of them to my TBR list this year. Better Off Friends is one of my contemporary YA picks that caught my eye AND was recommended to me by fellow bloggers. Best of both worlds.

I'm really glad I gave this book a chance, I enjoyed it. The book alternates between the duo with little "texting" chapters dividing sections up. Those were super cute. It gave the book a sort of reminiscing feel, like they were looking back and telling us the story of how they grew to love each other.

A lot happens in this book, it's more than just them realizing they have feelings for each other. And once they individually understand, it's not a "oh I love you." "well I love you" bam, suck face. Stuff happens, but I think they twists and turns they both experience are believable and realistic. Especially the bits with their friendship before they realize they have extra feelings.

If you are looking for a cute, quick contemporary YA read, then check out Better Off Friends.


“This entire time I've been thinking about where my home was. At first it was California, then Wisconsin. But in truth, home isn't necessarily where you sleep at night. It's where you feel like yourself. Where you're most comfortable. Where you don't have to pretend, where you can just be you.”

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad that you liked it. I really loved it. I thought it was super cute. I love how it's more than their relationship. You get what Eulberg thinks about boy/girl relationships both generally and specifically to Levi and Macallan. Good choice & Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely the best library book I had in this latest batch. I'm glad I saw if on your blog, I really enjoyed it. Even if you didn't count their romantic relationship with each other, it really was a great novel about high school years.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...