To Desire A Devil (review)

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Title: To Desire A Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers #4)
Author: Elizabeth Hoyt
Release Date: November 1st, 2009
Stars: 4

"Nothing Is More Intoxicating


Reynaud St. Aubyn has spent the last seven years in hellish captivity. Now half mad with fever he bursts into his ancestral home and demands his due. Can this wild-looking man truly be the last earl's heir, thought murdered by Indians years ago?

Or Dangerous

Beatrice Corning, the niece of the present earl, is a proper English miss. But she has a secret: No real man has ever excited her more than the handsome youth in the portrait in her uncle's home. Suddenly, that very man is here, in the flesh—and luring her into his bed.

Than Surrendering to a Devil.

Only Beatrice can see past Reynaud's savagery to the noble man inside. For his part, Reynaud is drawn to this lovely lady, even as he is suspicious of her loyalty to her uncle. But can Beatrice's love tame a man who will stop at nothing to regain his title—even if it means sacrificing her innocence?"
RELATED: To Taste Temptation (Four Soldiers #1) | Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane #6)


*Won through Goodreads' First Reads in exchange for an honest review.*

Reynaud has crawled through hell to make it back to London. Unfortunately, the life he so desperately wanted to return to is no longer possible. But there is one thing still within his grasp: his title. Determined, he starts his quest in earnest to remove the relation who currently holds it in his possession. Meanwhile, Beatrice -who has already fallen in love with the man she saw in his old painting- looks at this madman and struggles to prove that the smiling boy is not lost to a brutal past.

Reynaud is a product of his past. Words cannot begin to describe the horrors that he survived. I think the author did a great job showing his scars, mental and physical. The wild man that rushed into his family's home was savage, his relapses believable. Anyone familiar with post traumatic stress understands this man, and the battle he is waging within.

Beatrice is strong and stubborn, two characteristics that will serve her well in winning the heart of the man she loves. That is, once she comes to term with the realization that the image she fell in love with was one of her own creation and far from the man who rushed into her life.

The plot itself was interesting. Having not read the first three books of the series, I was kind of tossed into the whole betrayal thing. Luckily it wasn't too hard to figure things out, and follow along with the plot. But really the book is about their developing relationship. On one hand, I get it. I can see how we get from their meeting, to their happily ever after.

But on the other, I'm just not sure. It felt a bit rushed. Time limits in a book, I get that. But he's got PTSD from being a prisoner of war. If you ignore all the horrors of war themselves, those memories alone messed him up. I'm just not sure I can believe her falling in love with him a quick as she did. Seeing the man under all the suffering? Sure. Liking those glimpses? Yes. But in love that quick? Masochistic. It's not that I don't believe it's possible, it's just he doesn't offer her a lot to rely on beyond sex. At least not until AFTER she is in love with him.

So all in all, a small little snag, but overall the book was enjoyable. I'm curious about the other characters who made appearances in this one and want to read the other three books in the series.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one and it's not really my type of book but yay to winning a GR giveaway. Those things are almost impossible to win in my opinion. I love sequels that can stand on their own. I believe that a sequel should be able to tell its own story and tell part of a grander story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have such eclectic taste in books. :) I was so excited when I won, I may or may not have bounced around like a mad woman. I admit nothing. I am so clueless as to how goodreads select it's winners. But my secret is offering peanut butter cups as a sacrifice. Just about everything loves peanut butter cups.

      That's the only reason why I'll read a series out of order. Romance novels tend to have one hero/heroine story a book. But that's the only genre that I will do that for.

      Books must stand alone, even in a series. I hate feeling like I am reading such-and-such part two, instead of a second great book with those characters I love.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...