End of Year Book Survey

Friday, December 27, 2013

Paper Bindings | End of Year Book Survey

Saw this over at Perpetual Page Turner and just had to fill it out. It seemed like just a great idea, especially since this was my first full calendar year of book blogging.

Best Books of 2013

1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
I have two, so I am going to divide it up like this. 

  Published Author:                  Indie Author:      
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14290364-champion?from_search=truehttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18005818-water?from_search=true


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Dualed by Elise Champman

Major character inconsistencies killed it for me. See more--> Review

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Alice in Zombieland #1 by Gena Showalter

If you've read my blog, you'll probably know that I dislike the story of Alice in Wonderland. So to find a YA retelling of that story, and to actually enjoy the story, is a surprising thing for me.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
The Girl of Fire and Thorns #1 by Rae Carson

So, hopefully, I'll get someone to discuss book three with.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
    YA:                            Romance:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/51288-throne-of-glass


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Nina Berry

I won two of her books and flew through them.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
The Edge of Never #1 by J. A. Redmerski

I don't usually read contemporary books and am only just starting to read more New Adult books, and this was a good representation of both.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Champion #3 by Marie Lu.

No surprise here, since it is one of my top books this year.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Scarlet #2 by Marissa Meyer.

Planning on rereading it before Cress comes out anyways!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
So many good ones, but I'd have to pick Posion.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8113512-poison


11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Sturmhond from Siege and Storm #2 by Leigh Bardugo. I so love him and his sense of humor.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Scarlet #2 by Marissa Meyer or Falling Kingdoms #1 by Morgan Rhodes

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Clockwork Princess #3 by Cassandra Clare

The epilogue made me cry like I haven't cried in a while. But not for reasons you might think. Or perhaps exactly why you might think. Basically, -spoiler-free- Tessa mentions something Magnus told her. Which got me thinking. Which made me sadder than the book made me. More crying. It's one of those things I've always kind of thought, but never really "felt" until I had a visual reference to.

And if that doesn't confuse you, nothing will.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Don't really have one of these. All the books I read this year are new releases or new to me books that I picked up soon after hearing about them.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
I startle at the compliment. Then I smile. "I’m beautiful to the one person who matters."
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”

~The Bitter Kingdom #3 by Rae Carson

And that is part of the reason why I think Elisa is a kick-a** heroine. She doesn't take no shit from her enemies, and she does not need a man telling her she is to make her believe she is beautiful.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
-Shortest-  
Movie Night Novella by J. R. Ward - 2 pages
-Longest-
 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall - 960 pages

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The epilogue of Clockwork Princess #3 by Cassandra Clare

I am still waiting of someone to read this book so we can talk about it.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Hector and Elisa from The Bitter Kingdom #3 by Rae Carson

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously.
Falling Kingdoms #1 by Morgan Rhodes

I've read just about everything this author has published, and have loved everyone one of her books. This one was no exception.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else.
Written in Red #1 by Anne Bishop

I loved this book, more than the person thought I would enjoy it.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Paranormal (either YA or Romance novels)

No surprise there.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I have three! (That I can think of, off the top of my head anyways.)

Sturmhond from Siege and Storm #2 by Leigh Bardugo
Wolf and Captain Thorne from Scarlet #2 by Marissa Meyer

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Poison by Bridget Zinn

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Written in Red #1 by Anne Bishop

I love the world she created, where all the paranormal creatures are actually on the top of the hierarchy of creatures.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Inferno #4 by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I really love Nick and his snarky sense of humor. 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Clockwork Princess #3 by Cassandra Clare

See number 13 above.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Maybe it's just me, but Angelfall #1 by Susan Ee flew under the radar until I randomly saw someone's goodreads reviews of it.

Book Blogging/Reading Life 2013

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
The Midnight Garden because these ladies haven't steered me wrong with a single book yet. Plus they are super nice to chat with.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
Defying Fate #2 by Lola James

Not really because of what I wrote or number of pageviews or anything like that, but rather this was the first review were I decided that even if no one else reads these reviews, I am writing them for me. So I am allowing myself to let more of my personality shine through in my reviews. Though, I may have dumped the whole bottle into that first bit on the post.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Haven't really had any length discussions on here. Mostly they've been on goodreads or twitter.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
One Of The Hardest Questions A Bookworm Has To Answer

Why? Because it's something I've never really thought about until I read this post. But once I did, I realize that I tend to shy away from mentioning I read certain books to certain people. Because lets face it, if I told my most of my co-workers I like to read YA books or Romance novels, I'd get certain looks based on preconceived notions as my reward for being honest.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Sadly I have never had the opportunity to attend any author signing or book festivals. So, I am left with virtual stuff. If I had to pick, I'd say one of the author chats on twitter. They are fun, informative, and you feel really cool when your tweet gets mentioned, retweeted, or favorited by an author your a fan of.

Here's to those book geek moments.

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
That moment when I received my first ARC. Nothing felt more like success than that moment.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My review of : Any Dutchess Will Do

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

All of them? 

Honestly, I would love to get more interest in reviews and have more comments about the books. I love to get lost discussing books with others.


9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Not really a discovery per say, but I finally joined Twitter and got around to following a bunch of authors and publishers. I'm always up to date of my book news now.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Completed my Paranormal Reading Challenge and my Debut Author Challenge, and then I knocked my Goodreads Challenge out of the park

Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10401084-storm?from_search=true
Do you hear that? You can stop staring at me from my TBR shelf. Number one priority.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
All of them? Seriously, I think all the authors I love have releases this coming year. I will need another book case by the end.

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Alienated  #1 by Malissa Landers

I've heard so much talk about this book, I had to add it to my TBR list. I'm hoping it will turn out to be as good as promised it would be.

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13188676-ignite-me
 I want to know what happens next right this moment!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Become more active in the blogging community and increase my number of followers and comments. Basically I want to turn this blog from what it is, into something more like what I imagine it could be. Which means, a lot of work, prayers, and a sprinkle of luck.


And that's my list? What about you? Did you participate in the survey? Any thoughts, opinions?

2 comments:

  1. Lots of great books in your answers. I really loved Champion too, it was such a great end to that series! I love that Poison cover, although it does remind me of Snow White & the Huntsman for some reason.

    Great answers. My End of Year Survey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Champion = <3

      Now that you mention that about the cover, I can see it.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...