I'm Sorry Book, But It Is You | DNF Reviews

Friday, October 7, 2016

Paper Bindings | I'm Sorry Book, But It Is You | DNF Reviews


For all the books I have liked or disliked that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review, I present to you the latest batch of mini reviews.

The books I want to talk about:

  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly #1) by Susan Dennard - DNF
  • Trial by Fire (Worldwalker #1) by Josephine Angelini - DNF





Paper Bindings | DNF Title: Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly #1) Author: Susan Dennard Release Date: July 24th 2012 Publisher: Harper Teen
DNF
Title: Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly #1)
Author: Susan Dennard
Release Date: July 24th 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen


I really wanted to love this book, especially after I realized it was the book I'd been searching for. I'd read the first chapter of this book but couldn't recall the title of it. But the plot kept nagging at me and I scoured Goodreads trying to find it. (Seriously, I've been searching for this book for over a year.) Plus, Susan Dennard's other book, Truthwitch, was one of my favorite books of 2015, so I had really high hopes for this series.

Unfortunately, I ended up putting Something Strange and Deadly down pretty early into the book. It wasn't that the concept wasn't interesting, because it was, the story just wasn't spectacular enough to keep my attention. It was rather predictable, and a bit on the dull side. I am more than a bit disappointed with it.




Paper Bindings | DNF Title: Trial by Fire (Worldwalker #1) Author: Josephine Angelini ( Release Date: September 2nd 2014 Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
DNF
Title: Trial by Fire (Worldwalker #1)
Author: Josephine Angelini
Release Date: September 2nd 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends


I'd hate to say this book was bad, but it was bad.

There was nothing original in the first 10% of this book. There was a boring, ugly, average little duckling with a suspicious "condition" (who I am sure would turn out to be a special snowflake if I'd kept reading) who had an obvious crush on her BFF, the town's resident player (ummm....eww. Like that's going to end well...) and she had a crazy mother that I'd be my last monopoly dollar was the only sane one on that side of the world. It was one stereotypical ya plot after another.

Lily was incredibly naive, like "too stupid to live because she'll get herself killed by doing something against all common sense" incredibly naive. It made being in her head a chore, and kept me from identifying with her at all. Coupled with the fact that the book hit one of my triggers (God, I HATE cheating plot points) and the fact that the story failed to captivate my attention at all, I had no choice but to put this book down.

Honestly, this book felt more like an unedited first novel than it did a new series from an author whose previous works I enjoyed.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...