I May Be Just A Tad Addicted To Manga But I Admit Nothing

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Paper Bindings | I May Be Just A Tad Addicted To Manga But I Admit Nothing | Japan Corner : Manga and Anime Series Thoughts and Recommendations


After a several year absence, I seem to have fallen back down the manga well. I've stumbled upon several new series, and lately, they're all I seem to want to read.

The series I want to talk about:

  • Yona of the Dawn by Mizuho Kusanagi ★★★★
  • That Wolf Boy Is Mine by Youko Nogiri ★★★★
  • Karneval by Touya Mikanagi ★★★★
  • Special A by Maki Minami ★★★★





Paper Bindings | ★★★★ Title: Yona of the Dawn Author: Mizuho Kusanagi Publisher: VIZ Media LLC
★★★★
Title: Yona of the Dawn
Author: Mizuho Kusanagi
Publisher: VIZ Media LLC
Volumes Read: 2/22 (on going ?)


Yona of the Dawn was recommended to me by Jessie. Jessie hasn't led me astray yet with a recommendation, so I was looking forward to starting this series.

I really enjoyed the two volumes I read. Both volumes were well drawn, interesting, and very quick reads. I liked Yona. She's turning out to be a fascinating heroine. I am really looking forward to her growing stronger as a person and a more capable ruler. Plus there is that little hint of a potential romance that has me already anticipating the need to ship this duo.




Paper Bindings | ★★★★ Title: That Wolf-Boy is Mine! Author: Youko Nogiri Publisher: Kodansha Comics
★★★★
Title: That Wolf-Boy is Mine!
Author: Youko Nogiri
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Volumes Read: 1/4 (?)


Impulse title purchasing at it's finest. I picked this one up solely, because it looked well drawn, and I too would like my very own wolf boy. XD

I enjoyed the first volume of this series, certainly enough that I want to purchase the second volume when it releases. But I will admit there is something that holds me back from completely loving this series. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it's a feeling I got when we first met the boys and it persisted while I read. I don't hate the guys, nor do I dislike the roles they seemed to play, but there was just something there that kept this from becoming a favorite.




Paper Bindings | ★★★★ Title: Karneval Omnibus Author: Touya Mikanagi Publisher: Yen Press
★★★★
Title: Karneval Omnibus
Author: Touya Mikanagi
Publisher: Yen Press
Volumes Read: 1/6+


I stumbled upon this series from Goodreads. After I did some research on it (tranlsation: watched the trailer for the anime) I decided to be brave and pick up the first omnibus volume. The volume was beautifully drawn, and the world was immediately interesting. But it took me longer than I thought it would to get into the story. That said, well before I finished the first volume (of the two that were included in the omnibus) I wanted to run out and buy the rest of the omnibuses that have been published to date.




Paper Bindings | ★★★★ Title: Special A Author: Maki Minami Publisher: VIZ Media LLC
★★★★
Title: Special A
Author: Maki Minami
Publisher: VIZ Media LLC
Volumes Read: 3/17


I got the first three volumes for a good price at my local used bookstore, so I was really hoping I'd love this series. The story reminded me a lot of Ouran High School Host Club (which I love) so I was immediately drawn into the plot. There was a nice blend of human, and a hint of romance, that kept me flipping the pages. The story was a bit more complex than I thought it was going to be so I am looking forward to finding out everyone's secrets as the volumes continue.



Recap


Favorite Series Read: Yona of the Dawn
Series I Plan To Continue: All of them.
Series I Recommend: All of them.


Do you have any anime or manga recommendations for me?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...