We're All A Little Crooked Here | Crooked Kingdom Review

Saturday, October 15, 2016


Paper Bindings | We're All A Little Crooked Here | Crooked Kingdom Review | TITLE: Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo RELEASE DATE: September 27th 2016 PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and Co. ★★★★★
TITLE: Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2)
AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo
RELEASE DATE: September 27th 2016
PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and Co.
add to goodreads

“When you can’t beat the odds, change the game.

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn’t think they’d survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they’re right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz’s cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city’s dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.”




RELATED: Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) | Shadow and Bone (Grisha #1) | Ruin and Rising (Grisha #3)


I found Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo to be:

  • Exciting
  • Lovable

After reading Ruin and Rising, I broke up with the Grisha series. Several things about that book really angered me, and I decided that even though I already owned Six of Crows, I wasn’t going to read it.

Naturally, that meant I caved under peer pressure. I mean, how could it be bad if everyone is raving about it.

I really loved Six of Crows, it was everything I wanted the Grisha books to be and then some. So I could not wait very long to devour Crooked Kingdom.

Crooked Kingdom was an amazing book and a smashing end to the great series.

All your favorites are back for another epic con, and this time, they’re pissed off.


Inej – I still liked Inej’s character, but for some reason I cannot explain, I’m not sure I liked her as much this time around. She was less high and mighty and more real and practical, which was good. She took the lessons life forced upon her and for the first time you started watching her work toward the goals, rather than simply saying she was going to. But there was still a layer of disconnect that kept me from fully identifying with her.

Jesper – I really loved how Jesper wasn’t perfect. His gambling addiction was real and his struggles to overcome the temptation was inspiring. He wanted to earn back Kaz’s approval, and he wanted to get his father’s money back to make amends for all the lying and gambling he did that got him in trouble. That kind of addiction is never going to be something anyone could overcome easily, so I loved seeing clips here and there where you could spot his potential to be better than what he settled for. You wanted him to succeed, because you knew he could do it.

Kaz – I love Kaz. He is the kind of guy you should hate and fear, but you’re drawn to him anyways. He’s got that hidden vulnerable side but he’d rather take you out than let you see it. So I really enjoyed watching Kaz grow and realize that his crew might just mean more to him than a crew should. But caring for others was a weakness he couldn’t afford to have so it was nice to watch him struggle with that.

Matthias – I really didn’t like Matthias much for most of Six of Crows -though, he did win me over before the end of the book- but he was pretty wonderful throughout Crooked Kingdom. Matthias was really starting to find a balance of who he was, what he learned, and who he could be when this book started. The more understanding of his newfound knowledge he was, the more he became a true member of the crew. He was a strong man, not only physically, but with his ability to grow and evolve. I really admired him throughout this book.

Nina – Nina was still my least favorite of them all, though she annoyed me a lot less in Crooked Kingdom than she did in Six of Crows. For once she didn’t have all the answers and she wasn’t acting as if she was the superior one, so I got to identify with her more as she struggled to fight her demons and gain back her confidence and zeal.

Wylan – I really liked how Wylan became a more crucial member of the crew as Crooked Kingdom progressed, compared to how he acted in Six of Crows. It really felt like his actions earned him their trust and a place beside them. The more confident and bold Wylan became, the more I believed he could do anything he tried to do.

Crooked Kingdom’s plot was super entertaining.


It had that same level upon level of story building that I loved in Six of Crows. Kaz was truly a mastermind and I would follow any plan he came up with, you know, assuming I was in his crew and could pull off epic heists. There were quite a few times where the reader on saw the surface of the action, so when explanations were made, you were just left applauding the six of them for a job well done.

Crooked Kingdom was a scary book to read, I won’t lie to you.


I spent nearly every page of this book having to convince myself to keep going. ‘They’re only words on a page,’ I said. ‘They’re only characters in a book,’ I said. ‘What’s the worse than could happen?’

Yeah, about that.

Be prepared, because you are going to laugh, you are going to cry, you are going to squeal, and you are going to mimic a fish with all those jaw dropping moments within these pages.

I am very pleased with how this book turned out. 

Sure, I was spoiled for something major, so I became an even more cautions reader because I wanted to pretend the event never occurred. (It was an accidental spoiling, but it changed how I read the book a whole lot.) I built up all kinds of scenarios that could have led to that even, but the truth is, I don’t think things could have unfolded any other way.


Overall

Leigh Bardugo created one of my favorite 2016 books when she wrote Crooked Kingdom. Indeed, the Six of Crows series has taken its place as one of my favorite young adult series of all time. The characters were real and complex. The story was intricate and well written. All the little ships will crush you heart with feels overload. Everything combines into one smashing duology that you can read again and again.


Official Judgement

Read it! (If you haven’t read Six of Crows, go read that book right now, and then pick up Crooked Kingdom.) And then immediately dive in for a series reread, because you are going to be suffering from withdrawal as soon as you finish the last page.


Quotations

"I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting."

"Fear is a phoenix. You can watch it burn a thousand times and still it will return."

"And that was what destroyed you in the end: the longing for something you could never have."

"How many times have you told me you're a monster? So be a monster. Be the thing they all fear when they close their eyes at night."


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...