Let’s Organize That TBR! | How I Mastered My Wall of Shame Part Two

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Being a book blogger means having an out of control TBR pile. Or does it? I'm sharing the methods of organization I used to tame my Wall of Shame, finishing with my love of spreadsheets.


Paper Bindings | Let’s Organize That TBR! | How I Mastered My Wall of Shame Part Two


Part Two: Let’s Organize Our TBR Pile!


Earlier this week, I showed you how to clean up your Wall of Shame TBR pile and input it into Goodreads.

Now, for some, that is going to be enough to keep them organized and ready to read. But if you’re like me, you’ll want lists: List of series your reading, lists of books you’ve read, list of books you still need to read, etc.

There are as many combinations of methods to organizing your books as there are readers out there.


Pick whatever methods that you not only feel comfortable using, but are also able to maintain on a permanent basis. Charts mean little if you only update them sporadically with fractions of the necessary data.

A few methods include using:
  • Spreadsheets
  • Handwritten charts in a notebook
  • A calendar with a reading schedule on it
  • Apps such as Evernote or Google Keep to have your information close at hand (Note: I’ve never tried these, but they were suggested when I asked twitter methods bloggers stay organized.)

Personally I use spreadsheets to stay organized.


Excel and I don’t really speak the same language. I know it can do things, but I’m not sure how to make things happen sometimes.

So to share with you how I have tamed my TBR, I have to share with you my not-so-secret secret: Crini makes epic spreadsheets and I use them all. 

(Seriously, without Crini sharing her spreadsheets with us, I’d still be a disorganized mess. I probably never would have got the courage to clean up my Goodreads shelves or tackle my TBR because it still wouldn't do what I want it to do.)




3 tiny little spreadsheets and my life is so much easier.


Crini's first spreadsheet I use is a yearly book tracker. (Books 2016)


Paper Bindings | Let’s Organize That TBR! | How I Mastered My Wall of Shame Part Two | Yearly Books Spreadsheet


If you’ve ever wondered how I can pull out random numbers (oh, I purged 573 books off my TBR) easily, it’s because this spreadsheet has everything I need. You can keep track of what you read, what you bought, what challenges you are participating, and see you reading statistics.

The second spreadsheet she offers is all about your series. (Book Series)


Paper Bindings | Let’s Organize That TBR! | How I Mastered My Wall of Shame Part Two | Book Series Spreadsheet

This one allows you to keep track of where you are in a series, what books you own and need to read, and what books you need to buy. It offers some statistical information based on when you start a series, and when you finish it.

Note: There is no place to keep track of book titles, just their place in the series.


Paper Bindings | Let’s Organize That TBR! | How I Mastered My Wall of Shame Part Two | Book Series Spreadsheet


The book spreadsheet does not have a place for novellas, so I made it work by adding a second line for ever series with novellas I want to read. I’m not sure if affects your statistics by having the “-“ there, but for my keeping track of where I am purposes, it suits me just fine.

The last spreadsheet Crini has available is for your ARCs. (ARCS)


Paper Bindings | Let’s Organize That TBR! | How I Mastered My Wall of Shame Part Two | Unread Books Spreadsheet


This one is super helpful, it allows you to track the books you need to read, review, and send to publishers. You can easily see what books publish next month, and keep track of your progress as you work through your pile.

I use one copy of this spreadsheet for my ARCs, (not pictured) and one copy for my owned and unread books. (pictured)  I used to use my own custom spreadsheet for my owned books, but the more I used the ARCs one, the more I realized that I liked having the different pages at the bottom. Sometimes I forget if I’ve written a review when I binge read books, so having a tab where I can easily check it makes my life easier.

It’s also nice, and kind of panic inducing, when you can look at how you acquired a book. Pay no attention to that book I preordered last year and still have not read yet.




And that’s it.


That’s how I keep my Wall of Shame organized: Goodreads and spreadsheets.

It might be a lot of work to get everything set up. But once you have your TBR organized, it makes going through it so much easier.

Seeing your Wall of Shame in organized list on the computer is a lot easier to deal with than staring at a literal wall of to read books. Plus, you’ll start to see patterns and get statistics about the books you have to read and have read.


What about you guys? How do you stay organized?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...