I Really Tried With This One | Rebel Genius (ARC Review)

Wednesday, September 14, 2016


Paper Bindings | I Really Tried With This One | Rebel Genius (ARC Review) | TITLE: Rebel Genius AUTHOR: Michael Dante DiMartino RELEASE DATE: October 4th 2016 PUBLISHER: Roaring Brook Press | DNF (Did Not Finish) @ 10%
TITLE: Rebel Genius
AUTHOR: Michael Dante DiMartino
RELEASE DATE: October 4th 2016
PUBLISHER: Roaring Brook Press
add to goodreads

“In twelve-year-old Giacomo's Renaissance-inspired world, art is powerful, dangerous, and outlawed. Every artist possesses a Genius, a birdlike creature that is the living embodiment of an artist's creative spirit. Those caught with one face a punished akin to death, so when Giacomo discovers he has a Genius, he knows he's in serious trouble.

Luckily, he finds safety in a secret studio where young artists and their Geniuses train in sacred geometry to channel their creative energies as weapons. But when a murderous artist goes after the three Sacred Tools--objects that would allow him to destroy the world and everyone in his path--Giacomo and his friends must risk their lives to stop him.”


Did Not Finish (DNF) @ 10%


I found Rebel Genius by Dante Michael DiMartino to be:

  • Confusing
  • Not interesting enough

I really, really wanted to love Rebel Genius.


I mean, how awesome does that cover look? 

And it was written by a co-creator of Avatar? How exciting!

Unfortunately, this book and I did not get along, and it failed My 10% Rule.


Rebel Genius started out with a massive history lesson and information dumping about the world as Giacomo, who I swear was acting older than a 12 year old, wandered the streets and dodged threats.

The whole time, he kept thinking of all the pertinent information that reader needs to know about the world. It was too much at once. The Supreme Creator this. The Supreme Creator that. It was all very straight forward and very boring to read.

Plus, for a middle grade book geared towards younger children, I found it very confusing. 


Geniuses are essentially muses given physical form in this world. 

But the book doesn't explain that for a long while. It kept talking about them as if the reader should understand already, and maybe they if they've read the blurb they would, but I expect all pertinent information to be relayed to me in a book at the appropriate time.

Yet, we had to meet one before I really started to get it. And then it was like a magical muse, and I got all confused again.

There were two point of view characters, that I know of, in the book.


Unfortunately, I didn't care for either of them. Giacomo was very bland, and my attention wandered as I read about the world through his eyes. The other guy was at least interesting. I was curious as to what he really was, but that small level of curiosity wasn't enough to keep me reading.

The concept was interesting at least.


The whole premise of this book was interesting, just not interesting enough to get me over that initial hurdle. 

If you have heard me talk about my Muse, then I'm sure you've realized that I always end up talking about her like she's a separate entity. So a book with someone's muse as an actual creature, sounded very promising to me. 

The writing wasn't bad, just a bit slow, and the directing the book was moving when I stopped could be entertaining to the right person. So I think if you are able to make it through the first few chapters of this book, and find them enjoyable, I think you'd probably end up liking Rebel Genius.


Overall


Overall, Rebel Genius failed to sink its talons into me. I tried to like this book, but sadly it wasn't fail to either of us to force myself to enjoy something. Ultimately, Rebel Genius ended up in my DNF pile.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...