When Your "Go To" Genre Fails You | Paranormal DNFs

Monday, September 26, 2016



For all the books I have liked or disliked that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review, I present to you the latest batch of mini reviews.

The books I want to talk about:

  • Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells - DNF
  • Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur - DNF
  • Dark Protector by Morgan Alexis - DNF
  • I Dream of Dragons by Ashlyn Chase - DNF





DNF
Title: Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane #1)
Author: Jaye Wells
Release Date: April 1st 2009
Publisher: Orbit


I'm sorry, but what is the plot of this book? I made it 20 pages and I still don't know. I know there is a girl who killed a scumbag human to feed, had an incident with a friend, and had boring conversations at a vampire club. Okay, sure the power struggle will come into play soon I bet, but what about right now? What is her motivation? This book was so dry and slow, that I'm not even sure if care if it was spelled straight out for me.







DNF
Title: Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1)
Author: Keri Arthur
Release Date: December 26th 2006
Publisher: Dell


This book is all about her overwhelming need to have sex and what hot, rich guys she wants to have sex with next. (or have already had- her usuals- because that needs to be repeated every time she thinks about her sex life.)

Romance books tend to have sex in it, I get that, but this was sex heavy and the plot was slow moving on top of that. Don't worry if your brother is missing and you're in the middle of following leads, you still have time for a couple hour sex break with an over the top alpha male asshole.





DNF
Title: Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness #1)
Author: Alexis Morgan
Release Date: July 1st 2006
Publisher: Pocket Books


This writing is just not for me. It felt almost like a cross between childish writing and a indie first draft. It was very simple, didn't stand out, and really needed to be edited a round or two. The writing made it hard to focus on the plot. But the worst part was the POVs. There were two that I read, male and female, but they both felt the same, and very feminine. I'm sorry, but I can't take a masculine warrior seriously if he sounds like the woman he's going to pursue. As if that wasn't bad enough, we started hitting all the paranormal stereotypes/trophes very early on. It left me feeling as if I had the book predicted when I was only on the first chapter.





DNF
Title: I Dream of Dragons (Boston Dragons #1)
Author: Ashlyn Chase
Release Date: April 5th 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca


DNF early on - what I read felt very rushed, like someone was summing up the events that change the main character's lives as quickly and as boring as possible. Both POVs felt the same, and were on the bland side. This book was just not for me.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...