I'm Drowning In Feels | The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer | Review

Wednesday, August 3, 2016


Paper Bindings | I'm Drowning In Feels | The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer | Review | TITLE: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1) AUTHOR: Michelle Hodkin RELEASE DATE: September 27th 2011 PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing ★★★★
TITLE: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
AUTHOR: Michelle Hodkin
RELEASE DATE: September 27th 2011
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
add to goodreads

“Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.”




I found The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin to be:

  • Not What I Anticipated
  • Delightfully Demented
  • Unexpectedly Addicting

I am not quite sure when I purchased The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, only that I’ve owned the book for the last few years.

I was scared to give this book a try. There was a lot of hype surrounding this series when I first picked it up, and every time I mentioned it as a possible book to read, people jumped to support that decision. Their reactions, I’ll admit, made me super nervous to read it.

Looking back, I cannot say for sure what I expected from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but what I got wasn’t that. The book was darker than I imagined, a bit more twisted, and a whole lot more emotionally complex than I thought it was going to be.

As Mara experienced certain events in the book, I really felt them with her. So much so, that there was really no dividing line between her experiences and her perceived experiences. I could easily be swayed to believe it was all real, just as I could be led to think it was all imagined in her mind and she was locked up in a padded room somewhere.

The writing was that well done.

I both liked and hated Mara.


She was a fantastical narrator. She had PTSD and was slipping down the crazy slide, no question. Everything she experienced had to be questioned and was unreliable, which added a layer to the story because the reader was never sure what was truth and what was illusion.

But Mara kind of annoyed me as well.

She was very quick to jump on the Noah train, even when his actions towards her angered her. But he was super sexy and troubled so it was okay to hound her, I guess. Towards the end, she decides to do something that I believe was supposed to be emotional driven, but really just kind of tainted her character a bit. Sorry girl, but I’m with Noah on this one.

Noah was Noah.


Don’t get me wrong, I love me a tortured bad boy in books, but I have mixed feelings about Noah and their romance. (I feel I should stress the IN BOOKS part as I have never met a redeemable/likable “bad boy” in real life.)

It actually kind of bother me that he was yet again another bad boy man whore who was rumored to have slept with a ridiculous number of girls. His dalliances and talk of his conquests kept coming up in the book, and I just didn’t care.

Noah was a bit pushy at times, and there was no question Mara had sucker written on her forehead, but overall I did like them together. They were great opposite characters, but they had enough in common under the surface that it wasn’t a strict “opposites attract” sort of thing.

I felt a bit let down once Noah revealed what he knew and some of his secrets. I wanted more. I expected more. His superior attitude, thinking he knew more about what was going on, made him wade just a bit too close to the asshole waters for my liking.

Despite my love-hate relationship with the two main characters, there was something about this book that clawed at me. 


I needed to keep reading. I needed to understand. I needed answers. And after that ending left me a little shocked, I needed the second book.



Overall

Overall, I highly enjoyed reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. This book is romance focused, and while that didn’t bother me, I can see it being a problem if you do not ship the couple. If you are looking for a book to push you on an emotional ride, then I recommend reading the first book in the Mara Dyer series.


Quotations


"And just like that, I made a friend. I mentally patted myself on the back, Daniel would be proud. Mom would be prouder. I planned to offer this news to her like a cat presenting a dead mouse to it's owner." (Page 43)

"My God, you're like the plague." (Mara)
"A masterfully crafted, powerfully understated, and epic parable of timeless moral resonance? Why, thank you. That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me." (Noah) (Page 89)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...