The Time I Went Demon Hunting With Some Friends | The Stars Never Rise | Review

Thursday, August 18, 2016


Paper Bindings | The Time I Went Demon Hunting With Some Friends | The Stars Never Rise | Review | TITLE: The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise #1) AUTHOR: Rachel Vincent RELEASE DATE: June 9th 2015 PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press ★★★★
TITLE: The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise #1)
AUTHOR: Rachel Vincent
RELEASE DATE: June 9th 2015
PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press
add to goodreads

“Sixteen-year-old Nina Kane should be worrying about her immortal soul, but she's too busy trying to actually survive. Her town's population has been decimated by soul-consuming demons, and souls are in short supply. Watching over her younger sister, Mellie, and scraping together food and money are all that matters. The two of them are a family. They gave up on their deadbeat mom a long time ago.

When Nina discovers that Mellie is keeping a secret that threatens their very existence, she'll do anything to protect her. Because in New Temperance, sins are prosecuted as crimes by the brutal Church and its army of black-robed exorcists. And Mellie's sin has put her in serious trouble.

To keep them both alive, Nina will need to trust Finn, a fugitive with deep green eyes who has already saved her life once and who might just be an exorcist. But what kind of exorcist wears a hoodie?

Wanted by the Church and hunted by dark forces, Nina knows she can't survive on her own. She needs Finn and his group of rogue friends just as much as they need her.”




RELATED: The Flame Never Dies | Before I Die (Soul Screamers #6)


I found The Stars Never Rise to be:


  • Not What I Expected
  • Better Than Anticipated

To be frank, I had a few reservations about The Stars Never Rise prior to reading.


I really loved Rachel Vincent’s Soul Screamer series. So much happened in those books that made me appreciate her as a writer because she told a great story, and tossed in a few surprises along the way.

But at the same time, I had a really hard time reading the first book in her Shifters series. In fact, if I would have read that book first, I never would have picked up her Soul Screamer series or The Stars Never Rise series.

So I was very scared of how this book was going to turn out.


I wasn’t hooked on The Stars Never Rise when it first started.

I didn’t initially connect with the main character, her world, or the plot thus far. I was just there along for the ride for the first bit.

Then the first Degenerate attacked and everything changed for me. I quickly fell for this world and for the exorcists. I developed too many theories to list, and became invested in the rebel exorcist's success.

Nina was a wonderful heroine.


She was resourceful and determined. She just wanted to protect her sister and to survive. Nina could have easily given up at any point in time and focused on herself, but she never did. Even when her world changed on her and she learned terrible truths, she kept on fighting for others.

My love for Finn is complex.


I completely adored him from the moment we met. He made me want to learn more about this worth, he made me want to learn more about exorcists, and he made me want to root for him as a love interest.

But I was also very scared of him. I developed several theories early on about his backstory and possible future. And they worried me. Finn was a mystery. Between what he did not know but should, and what he knew but wouldn’t share, I wasn’t sure I was going to like the results.

The plot of The Stars Never Rise was not what I anticipated at all.


Strangely, I am very happy to say that. I expected something more glorified and rigid, but I got something more along the lines of Supernatural. The characters were always on the move, the stakes were getting sharper, and there didn’t seem to be a way for this duology to end happily.


Overall

Overall, I’d say that The Stars Never Rise was one of my favorite books I have read lately. The world building was pretty good and the characters were pretty fun. Once I got over the initial bump, I couldn’t put the book down.

Official Judgement

I definitely recommend The Stars Never Rise, especially if you are a paranormal YA fan. 


Quotations

"Everything worth doing is a sin." (page 27)

"And honestly, it was kind of hard for me to worry about my immortal soul when my mortal body’s need for food and shelter was so much more urgent." (page 27)

"They can’t tell the truth. I think they’re allergic." (page 218)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...