The Time I Broke Up With A Series | Recreated | ARC Review

Thursday, August 25, 2016


Paper Bindings | The Time I Broke Up With A Series | Recreated | ARC Review | TITLE: Recreated (Reawakened #2) AUTHOR: Colleen Houck RELEASE DATE: August 2nd 2016 PUBLISHER: Delacorte | DNF (Did Not Finish) @ 17%
TITLE: Recreated (Reawakened #2)
AUTHOR: Colleen Houck
RELEASE DATE: August 2nd 2016
PUBLISHER: Delacorte
add to goodreads

“Lily Young thought traveling across the globe with a reawakened sun prince was a grand adventure. Now she’s about to embark on the journey of a lifetime.

When Amon and Lily part tragically, he transports himself to the Netherworld—what mortals call hell. Tormented by the loss of his one true love, he’d rather suffer in agony during Lily’s mortal years than fulfill his duty to protect humanity.

Heartbroken, Lily seeks refuge on her grandmother’s farm. Yet she can feel Amon’s pain, and she has been having dreams—dreams of Amon continually suffering.

For before he departed, Amon gave Lily something very special, an item that connects them even though they are worlds apart. Now Lily must use this object to free him, and to free their realms from darkness and utter chaos. She will do whatever it takes.”


DNF (Did not finish) @ 17%

RELATED: Tiger’s Promise (Tiger Sage #0.5) | Tiger Destiny (Tiger Saga #4) | Reawakened (Reawakened #1)

I found Recreated by Colleen Houck to be:

  • A Disappointment 

There were a few things I didn’t like about Reawakened, but overall I rather enjoyed book one. I was super excited to be able to get a copy Recreated in my hands.

And then I started reading.

And I hated it.

Recreated was a massive letdown.


The first 17% of this book was 100% telling. I was so bored, I just wanted it to end. The only reason I gave it 7 more percent than my 10% DNF Rule allows was because I loved book one.

It takes about 9% for us to reach the inciting incident for the story. Which means everything prior was bland recap of Recreated and a very slow introduction to this book’s plot. Unfortunately, I didn’t care much about Lily or Amon by time we reached this point.

But I pressed on because this book had to have some of the same qualities I enjoyed in book one, right?

Sadly, it didn’t, at least as far as I read.

The telling was bad enough. But what made me have to put this down was the special snowflake syndrome.


Obviously Lily was epic, obviously she was special, but just how special you ask? She made a powerful god want to kiss her and then act like a moody teenage boy. Nope, sorry not buying it.

And then the big Sphinx reveal plot line? That was the last straw. I can’t believe it, I won’t accept it, she’s not that great of a character to be that special.

Lily was rude and highly disrespectful to a powerful god. He should have struck her down for the way she behaved like a whiny brat towards him. But no, he acted like he was going to kiss her. He was drawn to her special snowflake syndrome. 

After meeting this Lily, I’m not sure why I liked Lily at all in the previous book.

The Recreated series was a carbon copy of the Tiger Saga.


Once the plot and characters forced me to distance myself from the book, I was able to sit there and think about whether I was going to stop reading or be a masochist and push on. Then I realized something, and that something saddened me greatly, all of Colleen Houck’s books follow the same mold.

  • There’s a special girl.
  • There’s brothers.
  • There’s an older guy mentor who knows everything and only shares information as needed by plot long after should have shared.
  • Long chats between heroine and mentor that further the story only a tiny bit and bore the reader.
  • There’s a powerful male bad guy.
  • There’s gods involved.
  • Special snowflake abilities.
  • The books are dragged down by telling. 
  • You either love them or you hate them, there doesn’t seem to be much middle ground.
  • Useless quests to retrieve objects or knowledge.

But it’s more than the overall similarities that bothers me. A few similarities could be explained away as the novel following the hero’s journey. If you take away the cultures (Indian/Egyptian) and the respective mythologies, the plots are pretty interchangeable. Neither really stands out from the other.


Overall

Recreated was unoriginal and very slow. It was further dragged down because it was constantly being told to me. Nothing happened. Even when we got a glimpse of monsters, the were mentioned in passing.

Official Judgement

Skip it.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...