A Scattering of Young Adult and Middle Grade Mini Reviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Paper Bindings | A Scattering of Young Adult and Middle Grade Mini Reviews | The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh ★★★★ Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina #1) by Robert Beatty ★★★★ Serafina and the Twisted Staff (Serafina #2) by Rober Beatty ★★★★ Riverkeep by Martin Stewart DNF


For all the books I have liked or disliked that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review, I present to you the latest batch of mini reviews.

The books I want to talk about:

  • The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh ★★★★
  • Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina #1) by Robert Beatty ★★★★
  • Serafina and the Twisted Staff (Serafina #2) by Rober Beatty ★★★★
  • Riverkeep by Martin Stewart DNF





Paper Bindings | Mini Reviews | ★★★★ Title: The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2) Author: Renee Ahdieh Release Date: April 26th 2016 Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
★★★★
Title: The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2)
Author: Renee Ahdieh
Release Date: April 26th 2016
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers


I enjoyed The Rose and the Dagger a lot more than I enjoyed The Wrath and the Dawn. My issues with the first book were non-existent in this one. The romance flowed better than it did previously, and it wasn't as awkward. The plot was interesting, though really predictable, but it really drew you. Sadly, some of the secondary characters really annoyed me and kept doing things that only seemed to further the plot.

My biggest issue was towards the end. I didn't remember who the heck a certain major bad guy was from the first book, and then all of a sudden he was in the picture. There was no build up aside from one reference that could have been about anyone. It was a bit jarring to not really hear about the character prior to the climax of the story, and supposed to believe the character was powerful and dangerous.




Paper Bindings | Mini Reviews | ★★★★ Title: Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina #1) Author: Robert Beatty Release Date: July 14th 2015 Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
★★★★
Title: Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina #1)
Author: Robert Beatty
Release Date: July 14th 2015
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion


I picked up Serafina and the Black Cloak because it was set in one of the places I've always wanted to visit, the Biltmore house in North Carolina.

I really cannot describe how cute this book was. I don't read a lot of MG books because they make me feel old and I don't appreciate them as much as I would if I was younger. But this book was amazing. I was hooked from the moment I met Serafina and I'm still living in her world.

The plot was amazing. The world building was fantastic. The characters were wonderful. The story took us on a different path that what I imagined but I don't regret a second of it.




Paper Bindings | Mini Reviews | ★★★★ Title: Serafina and the Twisted Staff (Serafina #2) Author: Robert Beatty Release Date: July 12th 2016 Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
★★★★
Title: Serafina and the Twisted Staff (Serafina #2)
Author: Robert Beatty
Release Date: July 12th 2016
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion


I really loved Serafina and the Twisted Staff, it was just as amazing as book one. I flew through this book the same day I finished book one. It was that hard to put it down for even a minute.

I really enjoyed learning more about the world Serafina and co live in. The paranormal elements blended in nicely with the historical world. I don't know much about the Vanderbilts who inhabited the Biltmore Estate, but the author did a nice job blending some facts I did know with his own interpretations of the family, and them mixing it with Serafina's story.

I really hope there is a third book in this series. I cannot wait to see where the author takes us next.




Paper Bindings | Mini Reviews | DNF @ 9% Title: Riverkeep Author: Martin Stewart Release Date: July 26th 2016 Publisher: Viking
DNF @ 9%
Title: Riverkeep
Author: Martin Stewart
Release Date: July 26th 2016
Publisher: Viking


The writing just isn't for me. I'm not saying it was bad or anything, but I felt as if I was forced to read all the words out of order and still try and figure out what the sentences meant.

Plus, it was rather boring. I just didn't care about this boy and the job he doesn't want or why they even had a job of pulling dead bodies out of the river in the first place. The entire second chapter made me care even less.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...