Actions Speak Louder Than Words | Hunter | Review

Tuesday, August 23, 2016


Paper Bindings | Actions Speak Louder Than Words | Hunter | Review | TITLE: Hunter (Hunter #1) AUTHOR: Mercedes Lackey RELEASE DATE: September 1st 2015 PUBLISHER: Disney-Hyperion |  DNF (Did not finsih)
TITLE: Hunter (Hunter #1)
AUTHOR: Mercedes Lackey
RELEASE DATE: September 1st 2015
PUBLISHER: Disney-Hyperion
add to goodreads

“They came after the Diseray. Some were terrors ripped from our collective imaginations, remnants of every mythology across the world. And some were like nothing anyone had ever dreamed up, even in their worst nightmares.

Monsters.

Long ago, the barriers between our world and the Otherworld were ripped open, and it’s taken centuries to bring back civilization in the wake of the catastrophe. Now, the luckiest Cits live in enclosed communities, behind walls that keep them safe from the hideous creatures fighting to break through. Others are not so lucky.

To Joyeaux Charmand, who has been a Hunter in her tight-knit mountain community since she was a child, every Cit without magic deserves her protection from dangerous Othersiders. Then she is called to Apex City, where the best Hunters are kept to protect the most important people.

Joy soon realizes that the city’s powerful leaders care more about luring Cits into a false sense of security than protecting them. More and more monsters are getting through the barriers, and the close calls are becoming too frequent to ignore. Yet the Cits have no sense of how much danger they’re in—to them, Joy and her corps of fellow Hunters are just action stars they watch on TV.

When an act of sabotage against Joy takes an unbearable toll, she uncovers a terrifying conspiracy in the city. There is something much worse than the usual monsters infiltrating Apex. And it may be too late to stop them…”


DNF (Did not finish at 15%)

I found Hunter by Mercedes Lackey to be:


  • Massive Infodumping
  • Interesting Concept But Failed To Hook Me

To be completely honest, I was never going to read Hunter.


Blogger after blogger told me the book was bad, for various reasons. Those were people whose reviews I trusted and readers who have similar tastes as me. I figured I would feel similar, so I pushed it off my TBR pile.

But DRAGONS!

Long story short, I ignored that initial decision and stared reading Hunter.

The book was very boring.


It had an interesting concept, I’ll give it that. I mean a dystopian world built upon the fall of civilization that was caused by otherworldly invaders. All those monsters and creatures of myth were actually true and were feared by all. Only a select few had the abilities to fight them and ended up being glorified celebrities because of it. And the powers that be were keeping secrets from the common folk.

Of course I wanted to read Hunter.

Unfortunately, what I read was nothing but info dumping session after info dumping session. I think the world could have been great if I wasn’t all tossed at me at a time when I clearly needed something interesting to happen to pull me into the story.

But even when we finally get some action, the scene was filled with more and more information about this world. You shouldn’t have to explain to the reader the background information for them to get the scene at that moment in time, especially when there was supposed to be grave danger. There isn't time for that if lives are all on the lines.

Don’t ask me about my thoughts about the main character because I no idea what to say about her. 


She was very good at parroting information at me and talking about the good old days at the monastery but that’s really all I got from her. There was a moment at the aforementioned action scene where it looked like she was going to be a strong character and take action, unfortunately that was over shadowed by the fact I was too bored to keep reading anymore.


Overall

I really should have listened to the advice of others and passed over this book. The concept for Hunter was interesting but the book failed to execute its promise of a good story.

Official Judgement

Skip it.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...