When Street Teams and Rereads Collide | Ghost of a Chance | Review

Friday, August 5, 2016


Paper Bindings | When Street Teams and Rereads Collide | Ghost of a Chance | Review | TITLE: Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx) AUTHOR: Katie MacAlister RELEASE DATE: June 3rd 2016 (Originally February 5th, 2008) PUBLISHER: Self published (rerelease) ★★★★
TITLE: Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx)
AUTHOR: Katie MacAlister
RELEASE DATE: June 3rd 2016 (Originally February 5th, 2008)
PUBLISHER: Self published (rerelease)
add to goodreads

“From New York Times bestselling author Katie MacAlister comes a quirky paranormal mystery. There are other worlds with mysteries to solve. Worlds where not all of the suspects are technically alive. That's when Karma kicks in. For all those transmortis anomalies that need to be exterminated, there's Karma Marx-a woman who exorcises haunted houses, sending troublesome spirits and entities to the ever after. What she'd really like is to banish Spider, her cheating, sleazy realtor husband, from her life. So, she makes him a deal: she'll clean one last home for him if he grants her a divorce. The only problem is that Adam, the house's former owner, isn't happy with Karma's plan. Using his poltergeist powers, he seals the place, forcing Karma, Spider, and a motley assortment of characters (living and not-so-living) together for a hair-raising twelve hours. But when Spider turns up dead in the basement, it's a locked house mystery, and Karma's determined to reveal the truth, even if it means tackling all of the mansion's inhabitants-mortal and otherwise...”







I found my reread of Ghost of a Chance to be:


  • The book I’ve been trying to place for the last few weeks.
  • Just as charming the second time around.
  • Full of Katie’s signature humor.

You may or may now know this, but I am a member of Katie MacAlister’s official street team.

Our current mission is to write a review of Ghost of a Chance, a recently re-release novel, and share it on retail websites. I originally read this book back in 2013, and on so helpfully left only a starred review. Which meant, reread time!

Originally….


For several weeks, the plot of this book was running through my head. It wasn’t until I started reading Ghost of a Chance that I figured it out. I remembered liking the book. I remembered the big basement scene, I remembered Adam’s job title, and I remembered the scene at the very end.

But that was all.

So I dove into my reread as quickly as I could.


Overall I think this is one of those books that I enjoyed more the second time around. Originally I gave this book three stars, this time around I’m going to say somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Ghost of a Chance was a fast read.

Though the story was relatively simple, it was pretty entertaining. The story moves pretty quickly and doesn’t have any “dragging” moments to hold it back. I finished the book in one sitting, and found myself disappointed that there wasn’t a second book to learn about Karma’s next misadventure.

Ghost of a Chance was full of Katie MacAlister’s signature brand of humor, from the exasperating Spider to the charmingly naïve young Polter with the ever changing name. Which meant I laughed pretty much nonstop while reading. Dragons are what initially drew me to Katie’s books (let’s be real here, I’m a tad obsessed with them) but it was the humor, so much like my own, that really kept me coming back for more.

Katie MacAlister creates wonderful character for her stories.



I loved the main character in Ghost of a Chance.

Karma was a smart woman. She may have made some bad choices in her life (Spider, anyone?) and others have made decisions on her behalf that have led to consequences she had to face, but she wasn’t just going to let the unpleasantness of life walk all over her.

She’s dealt with a several of life’s less than pleasing situations that were forced upon her, but she didn’t give up fighting for herself or for those she was charged with protecting. You couldn’t help but hope she succeeded.

One of my favorite things about any Katie MacAlister book is the secondary characters.


Katie excels at creating them. They’re always fun and fleshed out. They’re never just background noises or plot devices. You always want to know more about them.


Overall


Overall, I highly enjoyed my reread of Ghost of a Chance. I have no idea if Katie MacAlister ever plans to release more books focused on Karma or not, but if she does, I will read them.


Quotations


"I talk. I know I'm talking, because I can hear my voice, but no one listens." (page 66)

"'Things will look better in the morning, right?'
'I've always found they look worse.'" (page 182)

"Just because I haven't lived your life doesn't mean I can't empathize." (page 202)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...