Let's Kick Some Demon Butt | The Flame Never Dies | ARC Review

Saturday, August 27, 2016


Let's Kick Some Demon Butt | The Flame Never Dies | ARC Review | ★★★★ TITLE: The Flame Never Dies (The Stars Never Rise #2) AUTHOR: Rachel Vincent RELEASE DATE: August 16th 2016 PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press / MIRA Ink
TITLE: The Flame Never Dies (The Stars Never Rise #2)
AUTHOR: Rachel Vincent
RELEASE DATE: August 16th 2016
PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press / MIRA Ink
add to goodreads

“ONE SPARK WILL RISE. Nina Kane was born to be an exorcist. And since uncovering the horrifying truth—that the war against demons is far from over—seventeen-year-old Nina and her pregnant younger sister, Mellie, have been on the run, incinerating the remains of the demon horde as they go.

In the badlands, Nina, Mellie, and Finn, the fugitive and rogue exorcist who saved her life, find allies in a group of freedom fighters. They also face a new threat: Pandemonia, a city full of demons. But this fresh new hell is the least of Nina’s worries. The well of souls ran dry more than a century ago, drained by the demons secretly living among humans, and without a donor soul, Mellie’s child will die within hours of its birth.

Nina isn’t about to let that happen . . . even if it means she has to make the ultimate sacrifice.”




RELATED: The Stars Never Rise | Before I Die (Soul Screamers #6)


I found The Flame Never Dies to be:

  • Entertaining but predictable
  • A good conclusion to a duology


Upon finishing The Stars Never Rise, I immediately picked up The Flame Never Dies.

Unlike with The Stars Never Rise, I didn’t have that fraction of time where I was thrown off by how the book started. Book two began several months after the events of the first book. The world established in The Stars Never Rise was expanded as our heroes traveled through the badlands, and just maybe the Church wasn’t the biggest baddie out there.

I won’t sugar coat it, there was very little about this book that I didn’t predict while reading the first book or while I read The Flame Never Dies. Really the only notable twist I encountered was more of “how” something happened rather than the fact it was going to be done at all.

Some of the plot was very simplistic in its execution, but it all still worked enough for me to keep reading and enjoy the novel. I really did enjoy the progression of choices our heroes made that ultimately led to the conclusion of the duology. At times I thought I wanted something more, but looking back, the choices and consequences felt not only real, but also true for each character and scenario.

The only thing I’m less than happy with is the romance. Supposedly, they’d been flirting and kissing in the time gap between the books. We also see evidence they care for one another in The Flame Never Dies, but once again I feel like we skipped a step because I’m not always sure why they love each other except for the fact the book tells me they do.

Overall

Overall, The Flame Never Dies was a good conclusion to this duology. The overall story line arc was the right length to both entertain and keep the plot from dragging. I loved how the book ended. Though I’ll never seen my friends again, I feel as if I could go back on check on them at any time. I'm not sad at our parting, but rather hopeful.

Official Judgement

Read this series.

Quotations

"'One way or another, it’ll all work out.' But I knew better. Nothing in my life had ever just worked out. Good things never happened unless I made them happen.” (Page 21)"

"We too observe the ‘finder’s keepers’ principle – the universally acknowledged law of the badlands and kindergartners everywhere. (Page 94)

"…because hope is a disease festering inside you, compromising your aim and crippling your logic." (Page 178)

"The only surprising part of this is that you two are surprised." (Page 299)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...