Goodbye My Friends, Until We Meet Again | The Raven King | Review

Tuesday, July 19, 2016


Paper Bindings | Goodbye My Friends, Until We Meet Again | The Raven King | Review | TITLE: The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) AUTHOR: Maggie Stiefvater RELEASE DATE: April 26th 2016 PUBLISHER: Scholastic Press ★★★★★

TITLE: The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4)
AUTHOR: Maggie Stiefvater
RELEASE DATE: April 26th 2016
PUBLISHER: Scholastic Press
add to goodreads

“Nothing living is safe. Nothing dead is to be trusted.

For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he’s drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey… and is certain she is destined to kill him.

Now the endgame has begun. Dreams and nightmares are converging. Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.”




RELATED: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) | The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) (Book Club Review) | The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) | Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) | Pip Bartlett's Guide To Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett #1) | The Raven King Tour Event Recap



I found The Raven King to be:

  • Amazing
  • Beautifully Written
  • Heart Wrenching

I'm big girl enough to admit that I was never planning to read The Raven King. If I never read it, then the series never had to end. I'm deathly allergic to series ending it seems. But then Maggie Stiefvater's tour date for The Raven King came around and I felt pressured to read it. 

It has now been a few weeks after I finished this book and I'm still suffering from a Raven Boys hangover.


Words really cannot express how much I loved this book. It was everything I wanted, everything I needed it to be.

Amazingly, I had successfully manage to avoid all spoilers for this book. Which meant only my theories and fears accompanied me as I read this book. While most of my theories proved to be correct, Maggie Stiefvater managed to twist things just enough to add in new details that I didn't feel bummed that I guessed what was going to happen.

The Raven King was the culmination of everything that happened in The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, and Blue Lily, Lily Blue so I expected a lot out of it. 


The book lived up to its hype, and then surpassed it. 

Blue, Gansey, Ronan, Adam, and Noah have come a long way since page one of The Raven Boys. Their journeys were hard and emotional, but they were real and believable. I loved watching these guys spiral out of control and rebuild themselves into something strong and steady.

Everything gets revealed during this book. There were so many "aha" moments during this pages. As all the clues come together and seemingly unimportant details from earlier books are suddenly revealed to have much deeper roots than imagined, the final book in The Raven Cycle proved how talented Maggie Stiefvater is. 

There were several major reveals that I never saw coming.

I was emotionally invested in The Raven King.


My ships, my glorious ships, how I loved watching them unfold. 

The romance aspects of this novel were added in a way that made them core to the plot in those moments but kept the story from falling into the "the world has gone to shit, let's have some make out scenes now" trap. Even the whole "Blue will kiss and kill here true love" tension that we've felt since book one managed to keep from getting stale.


Overall

The Raven King is without a doubt going to be one of my favorite books of 2016. I have a very hard time parting with series (and I hate risking the disappointment of the final book not wrapping up the plot in a way I can be happy with, which is all too common) but this book proves how authors can and do end series in interesting, entertaining, and believable ways.

If you haven't read The Raven Boys, I highly recommend you pick this series up. I have found that the writing style is not for everyone, but if you fall for the first book, then I firmly believe you'll be happy with how it ends.


Quotations


"They were all growing up and into each other like trees striving together for the sun." (Page 48)

"You can't compare one person's coping capacity to another's, hun." (Page 77)

"It's not always running away. To leave." (Page 79)


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am so glad you felt this was a satisfying conclusion to the series. It's always a great feeling when a book lives up to your expectations. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately I have been more and more disappointed with the way series have been wrapping up so I haven't been finishing any. I was so surprised I loved this book as much as I did. Have you read this series yet?

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...