The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It?

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty



If you have been in the book blogging world for about five minutes, chances are you've heard about a subscription box or two.


There are several big named ones out there that I have been reduced to a green with envy, drooling mess from wishing I could receive one. Because I don't have an easy way of buying things online, I never truly thought I would get one.

A situation presented itself that allowed me to buy June's box, so I took the opportunity to do so. And at an undisclosed point in time for an undisclosed reason, I decided it was better to spend my gas money on getting the previous month's box since I am a Steampunk Addict and needed something massive to cheer me up.




Owlcrate has been at the top of my list since I first saw it. 

The boxes are a little iconic. Chances are you have seen them flying around Instagram.

Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

The boxes cost about $30 + shipping a month. If you live in the US like me, then you're going to spend about $40 to get a box.

What it includes:
  • One hardcover book
  • Something about the book from the author
  • A cute postcard size Owlcrate artwork that details what is in the box
  • A handful of book goodies related to that month's theme
  • A cute little postcard size preview for next month' box.
If you look at all the past boxes, then you'll see that there are 5-7 items in every box.




May's Box: Steampunk


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty
I know it's just the card to talk about the goodies in the box, but I kind of want to hang it on my wall.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

I am very into Steampunk styled jewelry, so this pin is perfect for me.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

I am not sure when I am going to get to use the nail art, but perhaps I'll wear it the next time I go to the Ren Faire. 


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

Somehow I deleted the picture of the jewelry opened over top of the box, so I am left with this one. It is a key necklace and I am addicted to skeleton keys. (You can see the item below in the Comparing Boxes section with all the items from the box.)

Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

The Infernal Devices inspired ring.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

Peter Pan inspired print.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

I honestly knew nothing about the book before I bought the box. (Even though what was in the box was already known and I could have easily checked it out.) I read the information with the book and the blurb, and I decided that Everland does sound pretty interesting.



June's Box: Royalty

Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

While not as me as the one for the Steampunk box, the card for the Royalty box is very lovely.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

I am a bit bummed that my mini mystery funko turned out to be Ariel. She's my least favorite Disney Princess out of them all.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

This bracelet more than makes up for getting Ariel. It is Lunar Chronicles inspired and I adore it.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

I will admit, these guys weren't what I was expecting when I saw there was going to be some tiny magnet bookmarks. Maybe because they are purple. But they are still pretty cute.


Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

So, this print is awesome and epic and I love it. I also may have gone out and got the book so I can read it.

For some epic fail reason, I never took a picture of June's book: My Lady Jane. I had a lucky chance to read the ARC of this book for a tour and it was amazing. I laughed, I fretted, I feel in love, I shipped. If you haven't read My Lady Jane yet I highly recommend picking up this book.



Comparing The Two Boxes



Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS RoyaltyPaper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty

If I had to pick a winner between the two boxes, it would be a close race. I love steampunk, so everything about that box is amazing. And I love My Lady Jane, so everything about that box is awesome.

Clear Winners: (My favorite items from each box.)
  • Key Jewelry (Steampunk)
  • Lunar Chronicles bracelet (Royalty)


Will I order another Owlcrate box in the future?

Considering all the things I have ever "wasted" money on in my life, I really feel like I got a good deal with the two Owlcrate boxes.

I'm happy with:
  • The quality of the items
  • The number of the items
  • The items themselves
  • The selection of the books 
  • The speed of delivery from ship date
  • The way the items were packaged and the condition of the box when it arrived.

Yes, I would love to order another Owlcrate box in the future.

Paper Bindings | The Time I Got Two Owlcrate Subscription Boxes In One Month | Comparing The Two And Are They Worth It? | Steampunk VS Royalty


3 comments:

  1. I loved your post! Not into steampunk at all, but if I can receive any book goodies - I'll be into anything. I need to find out if any bookish boxes delivers to South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad to hear you enjoyed the post. Book themed goodies are the greatest. I'm not sure if Owlcrate delivers to South Africa. I know they do deliver international but not to Mexico as they've had problems there. Hope you can find a book subscription box that delivers to you.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I loved your post! Not into steampunk at all, but if I can receive any book goodies - I'll be into anything. I need to find out if any bookish boxes delivers to South Africa.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...