The Guilt Is Immense, But I Did Not Like This One | Nevernight | ARC Review

Thursday, July 21, 2016


Paper Bindinds | The Guilt Is Immense, But I Did Not Like This One | Nevernight | ARC Review | TITLE: Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) AUTHOR: Jay Kristoff RELEASE DATE: August 9th 2016 PUBLISHER: Thomas Dunne Books - DNF (Did Not Finish)

TITLE: Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1)
AUTHOR: Jay Kristoff
RELEASE DATE: August 9th 2016
PUBLISHER: Thomas Dunne Books
add to goodreads

“In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?”


Did Not Finish @ 15%


RELATED: Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1)


*Received a copy for an honest review*

I found Nevernight by Jay Kristoff to be:
  • Confusing
  • Boring
  • Not what I anticipated

When I first heard about Nevernight I was beyond excited for it.

The premise sounded interesting, the cover looked creepy -as an angry assassin coming to get you should- and I'd already read and enjoyed one book (Illuminae) written by Jay Kristoff. Plus, Fantasy is my favorite genre, so I just knew I was going to love this book.

The prologue was so unexpected, with its sass thrown in, that I was very excited as I started to read Nevernight.

Immediately upon diving into the first chapter I had problems.

It was so hard to get into this story. Each chapter, at least as far as I have read, alternated between two different parts of her story. I'm going to call them a "then" and a "now" section since they seem to follow that pattern.

There was so much thrown at us so fast, names and events, that the when you added in the shifting in time I was completely lost. 

Especially when there was time jumping within the now section. 'Here you are...wait a minute, let me go back.' At one point there was blood all over and a named character whom I not met before was lying in it. I had to go back a chapter to make sure I didn't skip anything because I was so lost.

When you read Nevernight in ebook formatting, the foot notes were relegated to nothing more than wasted space. Which is a shame because they were pretty snarky like the prologue I enjoyed so much. But in the ebook they were placed at the end of the chapter with no easy way to jump back to catch the reference. I kept forgetting where they went based solely upon the memory of what I read.

Even with a few action scenes scattered in, the first 15% of Nevernight was pretty slow.

I think the book tried to build up anticipation for what was to come. But with split way it was told, I kept pulling back from the novel. Her past stories, while important to the girl she became, were filled with so much details that they almost felt like they were action filled information dumps.



Goodreads Updates

Paper Bindinds | The Guilt Is Immense, But I Did Not Like This One | Nevernight | ARC Review | TITLE: Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) AUTHOR: Jay Kristoff RELEASE DATE: August 9th 2016 PUBLISHER: Thomas Dunne Books - DNF (Did Not Finish)



Overall


Overall, I hate to say it, but Nevernight was not the book I needed it to be to keep reading. I wanted this fast and dangerous dark fantasy novel but that wasn't what I encountered. 

Because I request this book for review, I gave it longer than my typical '10% to get into a book or I DNF' rule allows. I kept hoping I would fall for it, but Nevernight left me extremely feeling pressured to enjoy it. In the end, it was best for me to set this one aside.

Based upon the reaction I have seen from other bloggers with similar tastes as me, I definitely seem to be in the minority so far. The plot was interest, and I think that if the pacing moves fast enough and you don't mind the split storytelling, then you probably will enjoy this book.


Quotations


"Never flinch. Never fear. And never, ever forget." (ARC 3%)

"Names speak to the namer, as much as the named. Maybe I don't want folks knowing who I am. Maybe I like being underestimated." (ARC 12%)


5 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm so sad to hear you didn't like Nevernight! I've been really excited for its release since I found out it's actually a thing, and most reviews say it's pretty good so far, so I'm really surprised to hear your thoughts about it. Then again, maybe I'll still give this book a try. It's been a while since my last book that had footnotes in it, so why not? :D

    Great review, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I can't believe you didn't like Nevernight! Everyone has been saying such good things about it :/ Oh well - at least you finished it early, and got to another good book right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes (glad to see I am not alone)! I think there were a bunch of quotes that could be pulled from this story. The problem is that the before and after the quote don't flow well. Great breakdown of why this didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There seems to be a mix reaction to this book, but I believe I am in the minority. Most people I talk to have found it starts off slow and then gets really, really good about 100 pages into it. (I quit before that part) So I hope you'll like it. Definitely grab a physical copy so the footnotes are on the same page.

    Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so bummed for not liking it. This is the first time I've ever been on the Black Sheep side of the Hype Train. I did get to move on to another book that I enjoyed, so that's a good sign. I hope you like Nevernight when you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...