Assorted ARC Previews And Mini Reviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Paper Bindings | Assorted ARC Previews And Mini Reviews | Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1) by Laini Taylor / Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks (Buffy: The High School Years #1) by Faith Erin Hicks, Yishan Li (Artist), Joss Whedon (Executive Producer) / Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs / The Storybook Knight by Helen Docherty, Thomas Docherty


There have been quite a few books that I've liked, or disliked, lately that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review. But I wanted to say something about the books.

So here is the latest batch of mini reviews:

  • Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1) by Laini Taylor
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks (Buffy: The High School Years #1) by Faith Erin Hicks, Yishan Li (Artist), Joss Whedon (Executive Producer)
  • Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs
  • The Storybook Knight by Helen Docherty, Thomas Docherty





Paper Bindings | DNF @ page 34 Title: Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1) Author: Laini Taylor Release Date: September 27th 2016 Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
DNF @ page 34
Title: Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1)
Author: Laini Taylor
Release Date: September 27th 2016
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers


My review is based upon the ARC sampler I received.

The prologue started out interest, but something about the way it was written (word choice? sentence structure? I don't know) made it hard to get into. Chapter one pulled me into the story some and I was curious, but chapters were slow as the boy grew up and filled with so much information. I just couldn't stay focus. I wasn't invested in the story and I wasn't captured by any of the characters.

The concept was interesting. A girl falling from the sky. A city whose name disappears and is cut off from the rest of the world. An orphan boy raised by monks. A part of me wanted to read more.

But an even larger part of me was extremely bored with this story. I couldn't stay focused. Maybe it was because there wasn't a lot of talking at first and there was so much descriptive paragraphs. Or maybe it was because we jumped in time watching the boy grow that I couldn't tell when his story was going to start and where his background ended.
"Forbid a man something and he craves it like his soul's salvation, all the more so when that something is the source of incomparable riches." (Page 9)

"Life won't just happen to you, boy. You have to happen to it. Remember: the spirit grows sluggish when you neglect the passions." (Page 21)





Paper Bindings | ★ Title: Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks (Buffy: The High School Years #1) Author: Faith Erin Hicks, Yishan Li (Artist), Joss Whedon (Executive Producer) Release Date: June 14th 2016 Publisher: Dark Horse

Title: Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks (Buffy: The High School Years #1)
Author: Faith Erin Hicks, Yishan Li (Artist), Joss Whedon (Executive Producer)
Release Date: June 14th 2016
Publisher: Dark Horse


I only read the preview of the comic so my review is solely based upon that.

It was hard to accept that the characters were who they were supposed to be. After all the years I spent watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer (and later Angel) those actors are how I envision the characters. But they weren't really visually that similar in the comic so I had a hard time mentally accepting them. The story was kind of interesting but my attention wasn't captured and I don't feel the need to go out and buy the comic at all to continue the story.




Paper Bindings | ★★★ Title: Tales of the Peculiar Author: Ransom Riggs Release Date: September 3rd 2016 Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
★★★
Title: Tales of the Peculiar
Author: Ransom Riggs
Release Date: September 3rd 2016
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers


My review is solely based upon the ARC preview which contained the story The Splendid Cannibals.

I wasn't expecting to like this as much as some other people may. But it was a pretty cute, fairy tale with a lesson kind of story. In fact, I think it was more enjoyable than the Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children books that I have read. I would be interested in reading the full book of peculiar stories when it comes out.




Paper Bindings | ★★★★★ Title: The Storybook Knight Author: Helen Docherty, Thomas Docherty Release Date: October 16th 2016 Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
★★★★★
Title: The Storybook Knight
Author: Helen Docherty, Thomas Docherty
Release Date: October 16th 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky


Bookish heroes for the win!

This was an extremely cute story. I really wish I had a young child so I could immediately go read it to them. Because there is no question that I would buy a copy of this for my family library. The artwork was super lovely. There were plenty of expressive details thrown in that made me smile and laugh.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...