Next Caller, You Are Live | We Own The Night | ARC Review

Monday, June 27, 2016


Paper Bindings | Next Caller, You Are Live | We Own The Night | ARC Review | TITLE: We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2) AUTHOR: Ashley Poston RELEASE DATE: June 28th 2016 PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury Spark  ★★★1/2

TITLE: We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2)
AUTHOR: Ashley Poston
RELEASE DATE: June 28th 2016
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury Spark
add to goodreads

“"Happy midnight, my fellow Niteowls..."

As a candy store employee by day, and mysterious deejay "Niteowl" by night, eighteen-year-old Ingrid North is stuck between rock 'n roll and a hard place. She can't wait to get out of her tiny hometown of Steadfast, Nebraska (population three hundred and forty-seven) to chase her dreams, but small-town troubles keep getting in the way. She can't abandon her grandmother with Alzheimer's, or her best friend Micah--who she may or may not be in love with.

But for one hour each Saturday, she escapes all of that. On air, she isn't timid, ugly-sweater-wearing Ingrid North. She's the funny and daring Niteowl. Every boy's manic pixie dream girl. Fearless. And there is one caller in particular-- Dark and Brooding--whose raspy laugh and snarky humor is just sexy enough to take her mind off Micah. Not that she's in love with Micah or anything. Cause she's not.

As her grandmother slips further away and Micah begins dating a Mean-Girls-worthy nightmare, Ingrid runs to the mysterious Dark and Brooding as a disembodied voice to lean on, only to fall down a rabbit hole of punk rockstars, tabloid headlines, and kisses that taste like bubble tea. But the man behind the voice could be surprising in all the right, and wrong, ways.

And she just might find that her real life begins when Niteowl goes off the air.”


& 1/2


I found We Own The Night by Ashley Poston to be:
  • A Surprise Companion Novel
  • Slow Start
  • Fascinating Radio Scenes 
  • Some Great Moments
When I first saw We Own The Night up on NetGalley, I was intrigued. The cover drew me in and the premise sounded interesting so I immediately requested it.

Upon adding it to my Goodreads currently reading shelf I noticed that it was book two in the Radio Hearts series.

I do not know if that was why I had a hard time getting into the story or if it was the book itself. There were illusions to a big event that I am assuming happened in the first book, and it was easy enough to pick out those pieces form the rest. But, despite the books focusing on different characters, the beginning of We Own The Night made me feel like I should already know these characters.

It took me about 21% to really get into the book.

Minus the radio bits, the first few chapters were filled with your typical contemporary YA plot points. Pretty on the inside but fatter on the outside heroine crushes on her sexy best friend who follows the mean girl around like she’s in heat. Girl gets heart broken. Girl is depressed and find a way to escape, in this case, through her radio show.

The story wasn’t bad. I was just so disconnected from it that it was really hard to become absorbed in this world.

She says she’s in love with Micah, but we never got to see him do anything that might allow the reader to understand her attraction. He’s kind of a jerk in the beginning. Who drags their friend to a party knowing she’ll probably end up being harassed for once wearing a sweater that made her look like a fat cow and then abandons her to chase after a girl? And the way he treated his supposed best friends once he landed the girl? Highly insulting.

My favorite parts of We Own The Night were the radio show snippets. I loved watching Ingrid be herself and interact with the world without the sort of restraints and boundaries real life places on people. She was a very real character. She struggled to balance her dreams with reality, all while trying to avoid the people who bullied her.

Dark and Brooding was wonderful. I loved their interactions and watching them push each other. It was completely obvious who he was, which did lead to some moments where I just wanted to force their hands because they acted somewhat stupid. But overall, knowing his identity didn’t detract much from the story line.

Goodreads Updates

Paper Bindings | Next Caller, You Are Live | We Own The Night | ARC Review | TITLE: We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2) AUTHOR: Ashley Poston RELEASE DATE: June 28th 2016 PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury Spark  ★★★1/2


Overall


We Own The Night isn’t just a story about a girl who gets her heart broken. There are some fairly big topics within these pages: bullying, tolerance, health issues leading to children forced to become the adult in relationship. Those elements make it more real and relatable. Because of that, I am pretty curious about book one and want to check it out soon.


Quotations


"Isn't that the rule? We fall in love with the people we can never have." (ARC 2%)

"Maybe the trick to life is just filing yourself down, layer by layer, until you fit the mold." (ARC 15%)

"I thought forever was actually forever, but it never is." (ARC 81%)


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had a hard time connecting to this novel :( I didn't read the first book, but I still really loved this one. However, I said in my review of this book that it's one of those stories that was SO GOOD while I was reading, but also kinda forgettable. I loved that it dealt with some heavy topics though. Great review!

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand what you mean when you say it is kind of forgettable. It was entertaining but I don't think it'll stick with me the way Sarah Dessen books do.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...