This Shattered World? More Like This Shattered Heart

Wednesday, June 8, 2016


Paper Bindings | TITLE: This Shattered World (Starbound #2) - AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - RELEASE DATE: December 23rd 2014 - PUBLISHER: Disney-Hyperion - ★★★★

TITLE: This Shattered World (Starbound #2)
AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
RELEASE DATE: December 23rd 2014
PUBLISHER: Disney-Hyperion
add to goodreads

“Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.”




RELATED : These Broken Stars (These Broken Stars #1) | Their Fractured Light (These Broken Stars #3) | [Amie Kaufman: Illuminae (Illuminae Files #1)]


I found This Shattered World to be:

  • Heart Racing
  • Shipable, But Not Swoonable
  • A Dangerously Epic Read.

I’ll admit it, I was super nervous to read This Shattered World. I adored These Broken Stars and would gladly read more with Tarver and Lilac. Except book two (and later on, book three) focused on a different duo. What if I didn’t like them?

The characters weren’t what I was expecting but I’m okay with that.

Lee was a badass. Not only was she a capable fighter, she had this inner strength that was admirable. Her past was tangled and traumatic, but it turned her into such a wonderful heroine. This was one girl I’d like to have in my corner in a fight.

I’ll say it straight out: Flynn is not the typical male lead I love in books. Yes, he was a freedom fighter, but he was more a reserved, “let’s talk it out” kind of guy. He was a wonderful character, and perfect for this book, he’s just not what I was expecting when I read the words “leading the rebellion.”

There wasn’t a whole lot of swooning going on in this book. Don’t get me wrong, I love these two together, and I highly supported their much needed make out moments.

Lee and Flynn are enemies by default, who end up working together to try and save their respective groups. I love the whole forbidden lovers, unwilling allies angle we are presented. To me, that is a lot more interesting to read than any kind of love/lust at first sight romance.

Unlike These Broken Stars, which was basically one big “swoonable” moment of devastatingly heartbreaking feels, the romance in This Shattered World was a bit more tame. It makes sense though, as the characters had to find common ground to work with each other before they could fall into something more with each other. I just expected fireworks from the start and got a slow burning candle instead.

Plot-wise, this book was amazing. We learned so much about the whispers we encountered in the first book, and we uncovered more dirty details about the experiments a certain bad guy was performing.

When you look at the page count of the book, it is a little bit daunting, but it flows pretty well. So much happens that the characters never seem to get a moment to themselves, all of which combines to make This Shattered World a new favorite story of mine.

My only issue with the book was with the in between snippets. I liked them. They were entertaining and interesting, but it took me quite a bit to figure out for sure how they fit into the story aside from simply telling us Lee’s background in a different way. As compared with the ones in These Broken Stars, where I knew immediately how they fit into the story.


Paper Bindings | TITLE: This Shattered World (Starbound #2) - AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - RELEASE DATE: December 23rd 2014 - PUBLISHER: Disney-Hyperion - ★★★★

Overall


Overall, This Shattered World was a fantastic book. I highly recommend this series. I cannot wait to dive into the last book, even if it means parting with some beloved friends.


Quotations


"There are too many ghosts down there to let go."

"Look, they're aren't just two sides to this thing."
"There are never just two sides to anything."

"We all got pasts. But here you get to choose what you hold onto."


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...