A Dual Q&A Style Review | The Star Touched Queen

Monday, June 20, 2016


Paper Bindings | A Dual Q&A Style Review | The Star Touched Queen | TITLE: The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen #1) AUTHOR: Roshani Chokshi RELEASE DATE: April 26th 2016 PUBLISHER: St. Martin's Griffin  ★★★★★/★★★★

TITLE: The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen #1)
AUTHOR: Roshani Chokshi
RELEASE DATE: April 26th 2016
PUBLISHER: St. Martin's Griffin
add to goodreads

“Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire…

But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself. ”


Carrie:
Stephanie:



Horoscopes play a big part in this story, as Maya can attest to. The course of her very future was predicted by the stars and interpreted by man. Do you believe the stars can determine our futures?


Carrie: Sort of, I guess. I think each person decided who they’ll become in their lives. Am I 100% what my astrological sign says I should be? No, but I’m fairly close. I had a detailed birth chart drawn up once, part for fun and part for curiosity. The results were fairly accurate (and specific) as well.

Maybe some things are predetermined and others are the results choices. So I guess you could say I believe in a predetermined fated with the added chaos of free will tossed into the mix.

Stephanie: Hmmm… I’ve always thought star signs, and pretty much any type of personality indicator, are tons of fun. I’ve never had anything detailed or professional done, so I can’t speak to how accurate that would be. Logically speaking, everyone born under the same star sign having very similar personalities seems kind of crazy. That said, I think I fit pretty well into the Virgo box, with a few exceptions. So in practice I have to admit that it seems like they work, at least a little? But how much of that is interpreting facts to suit a certain personality type as opposed to creating my personality type based on unbiased interpretation of facts? Sorry for the awkward paraphrasing of Sherlock Holmes, lol.

I definitely believe in free choice, but I also do think some things are just meant to be. I’ve watched/read enough time travel to go with the idea that while there may be a limited number of destinations, there are an infinite number of roads to get there.

Describe your first thoughts are reading The Star Touched Queen in 6 words.


Carrie: Not what expected but pretty exciting.

Stephanie: Fresh yet epic fantasy adventure story

There were several very quotable lines from this book. What were your favorites?


Carrie:
"Trust is won in years. Not words."


Stephanie:
“In my experience, big words ornament bad news.”

“He loved her. And she loved him. And in such bliss does devastation grow.”

“I will not let us be beings of regret. I know my past. What I want is my future.”


Would you recommend this book to others?


Carrie: Yes. I was lucky enough to have been able to sign up for an ARC tour to read The Star Touched Queen. Immediately after finishing I went out and preordered it. For a girl that is on a strict budget for everything in her life, the fact that I spent my gas money on this book should tell you how much I loved it. If you are a fan of fantasy books, I highly recommend picking this one up.

Stephanie: I definitely would, especially if they are into fantasy novels or fairy tale retellings. I was lucky enough to win a goodreads giveaway to get this book, but it would still have been worth the price of admission.

7 comments:

  1. This is a fun little review! I'm glad y'all both enjoyed this book. I've not read what this is re-telling, but I love re-tellings, so I'm definitely intrigued by this--especially if you were willing to spend gas money on it. That's true love.

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reading! I hadn't read the original tale either, but I can honestly say I enjoyed it even without the frame of reference.

      Delete
    2. Basically it is Hades and Persephone but with a twist.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I do want to read this one! I kind of have been hesitating buying it, though, because I heard someone mention that it was really purple prosey? And that kind of worries me! *hides* BUT YEAH HOPEFULLY I LIKE IT!! It is so pretty and I'm really excited for more Asian fantasies...I've only read two! NEED MORE.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind the wording, but I can definitely see the whole purple prose thing. Maybe the library first? What other Asian fantasy did you read?

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Awesome way of revamping the reviews! Great job guys :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...