Maggie Stiefvater | The Raven King Tour | Event Recap

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Paper Bindings | Maggie Stiefvater | The Raven King Tour | Event Recap - "A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a stop on Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven King book tour."

The Before


A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a stop on Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven King book tour. Since I had to travel there early enough to get a copy of the book to participate in the signing, I decided to make it a whole day event.

Frustrated because I couldn’t get two people at the store to tell me the same story, I left my house so I would arrive prior to the store’s opening just in case there was any sort of line. I stopped at the shadiest gas station around me, to get a drink for the car ride and then I was off.

I arrived at the store at 9:20am and had 40 minutes to waste on social media before the doors opened. After allowing the other people who had gathered outside enter first and taking a covert trip around the YA section, because I just couldn’t be that person who harassed the associate first thing, I finally made my way up to the counter.

One required copy of The Raven King in my hands, I once again asked if there was any tickets or wristbands for the event. The nice lady who was being briefed on the event told me there was none.

Remember that, so you can roll your eyes with me later.

As I didn’t believe them, since the previous The Raven King tour spots were so popular, I decided to hang out in the two strip malls near the store. After treating myself to a haircut, manicure, and pedicure, I returned to the store. On my way to the cafĂ© to get food and to begin my event stalking mode, I asked once again about tickets and was told that no tickets were being given out.

Ten minutes later, as I was eating, one employee was talking to another one who was attending the event about reserved seating tickets for those people who were here early. I flew up to the counter as fast as I could and politely inserted myself into that conversation. Until I had that ticket in my hand I was nervous shaking. Then I was giddy smiling and excited shaking.

I ended up checking social media and discovered Gee and Lillie were at the store as well, so I made my way over to the YA section to meet them. I must have looked like a crazy book lady to them as I was balancing a rather large stack of books. (BYE-BYE BAN! But in my defense, most of my purchases were bargain books.)

As we were talking, I mentioned the tickets and they were each able to snag one. The three of us hung out, window shopping and talking, until it was time to make our way over to where the signing was happening. And we were immediately glad we’d gotten there early and gotten the reserved seating tickets as it was packed.


The Signing


Maggie Stiefvater stormed the stage and the next thing you know she was on top of the table. I remember sitting there thinking, 'this show is going to rock.'


Paper Bindings | Maggie Stiefvater | The Raven King Tour | Event Recap - "A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a stop on Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven King book tour."

If you have seen Maggie Stiefvater’s twitter account, then I imagine you’ve laughed a time or two. In person, she is twenty times as hysterical as she is online. Her expressions, her mannerisms, her jokes, it was like I was at a comedy show. I kept thinking she reminded me of Eddie Izzard.

I enjoyed every minute of her performance. The audience laughed nearly the whole time she was up there, some of us were in tears.



The Highlights

  • Maggie used to do portrait commissions until a certain ugly baby incident made her realize that she needed to do something else. 
  • Some babies are ugly, but most eventually grow out of it. “Look at Neville Longbottom.”’
Paper Bindings | Maggie Stiefvater | The Raven King Tour | Event Recap - "A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a stop on Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven King book tour."

  • Maggie pronounces her last name Stiefvater like ‘Steve otter.’
  • She likes visiting new places and meeting new people while preparing for a new book. She “lives (can’t recall number) lives to write (same number) characters.”
Long story short: John Green sat himself on fire, via setting his race car on fire.

  • She did not set John Green on fire. 
Slightly longer story: Maggie tried to convince John Green on twitter to buy a Subaru just because. He did not. Later he posted a challenge on twitter “wanna race?” Of course, she accepted. John showed up in a blue fire suit and Maggie said “John you look like a dork.” 

They started racing, something “9 out of 10 Midlife Crisis Stars recommend.” She passed him a few times before realizing he is on fire. “Way to escalate John.” They pull him out “like a calf from a burning cow,” get the fire under control, and race again. 

His car once again catches fire. John Green got send off with a trophy and Maggie Stiefvater raced the guys she normally races. “12 out of 10 Midlife Crisis Stars recommend.”

  • Maggie is not a person to live with regrets.
  • Question: If she didn’t become an author, what would she want to do. When younger, she wanted to become a fighter pilot until learned her vision was too bad. She was sad then, but now she gets to drive fast cars wearing her aviator glasses. She doesn’t think of herself as an author because she does so many other things too. 
  • Question: Hardest part of writing/publication process? When she wrote her first two books, no one knew who she was. When she sold Shiver to Scholastic, they told her to write book two before being published. But book three was written after fans already started reading the series. She wrote book three as if she was writing a book the fans would be happy with instead of writing the story in her head that needed to be written. “…trapped in torment.” Publisher sent her to meet a guy, Zoltan the Wolf Man, who trains wolves for movies. The experience of listening to the wolves howl around her helped her find her focus again. “…sound human but that prickly fear they’re going to eat you….”
  • Question: What Hogwarts houses would The Raven Cycle characters be in? Already answered that on social media, but she likes saying that “Kavinsky would be in Mordor.”
  • Maggie wanted Will Patton to be the narrator for the audiobooks. She asked him, his agent said no. Turns out he read the book, loved it, and said yes.



The Signing


As Maggie was signing my books, she asked if I read The Raven King yet. At the time, I was only up to page 14 as the fear of the emotional trauma this book will put me through, kept me moving slowly.

Maggie: “So, everything is still happy?”

Me: AND THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHY I AM TRAUMATISED AND SCARED! “Yeah, I was afraid if I read more here (at the store) I’d cry.”

I swear there was a sly cackling sound that echoed drifted across the room at that moment. 

Paper Bindings | Maggie Stiefvater | The Raven King Tour | Event Recap - "A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a stop on Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven King book tour."


She asked me what my favorite book of the series was, and I told her Blue Lily, Lily Blue.

Me: “They just keep getting better and better.”

Maggie: “I like that answer.”

As she was signing my Raven Cycle Tarot Study book:

Maggie: *gestures to the page flags* “What’s this? A little studying?”

I responded by saying something stupid like “makes it easier to find the suits.” Because I am articulate like that.

As she handed me my last book:

Maggie: “Nice meeting you.”

I replied with “You too.” Then I proceeded to tell her she was hysterical and that I loved the event.

Paper Bindings | Maggie Stiefvater | The Raven King Tour | Event Recap - "A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a stop on Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven King book tour."



The After


Meeting Maggie Stiefvater may be one of my greatest bookish moments. 

She was so awesome, knew how to entertain a crowd, and was very down to Earth. When you talked to her, whether you asked a question during the chat or talked with her during the signing, she made it seem like you were the only one in the room and gave you her full attention. 

There was no point at which I thought she was doing this because it was a necessary thing when you publish a book, but rather she appeared to be having as much fun as the rest of this.

If you ever get the chance to see Maggie Stiefvater in person, go.


RELATED: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) | The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) (Book Club Review) | The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) | Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) | The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) | Pip Bartlett's Guide To Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett #1) 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...