The King Slayer : I Am Saddened I Did Not Love This Book As Much As I Wanted

Thursday, May 12, 2016


Paper Bindings - The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker - 3/5 stars - Young Adult (YA) - Fantasy - "I found The King Slayer to be:  A little bit confusing. / A little bit disappointing."

TITLE: The King Slayer (The Witch Hunter #2)
AUTHOR: Virginia Boecker
RELEASE DATE: June 14th 2016
PUBLISHER: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
add to goodreads

“Former witch hunter Elizabeth Grey is hiding within the magically protected village of Harrow, evading the price put on her head by Lord Blackwell, the usurper king of Anglia. Their last encounter left Blackwell ruined, but his thirst for power grows stronger every day. He's readying for a war against those who would resist his rule--namely Elizabeth and the witches and wizards she now calls her allies.

Having lost her stigma, a magical source of protection and healing, Elizabeth's strength is tested both physically and emotionally. War always means sacrifice, and as the lines between good and evil blur once more, Elizabeth must decide just how far she'll go to save those she loves.”




RELATED: The Witch Hunter


I found The King Slayer to be:

  • A little bit confusing.
  • A little bit disappointing.
I read The Witch Hunter last year, and I loved it. So I was super excited to be able to read an eARC of The King Slayer

Sadly, I lost some of that excitement while reading the book.

I have a confession, I don't reread books before I read the next one in a series. So I often rely on story recaps in the beginning of books to fill in the gaps of my memory.

And while some major points were refreshed, there was a lot that wasn't. Especially when it came to the characters. Quite a few times people would be mentioned in the story and I would have no idea who they were or why they were there. Because I had left book one at home, I'd have no way of researching the details while I was reading. 

Things happened during The King Slayer that kind of bothered me. The Witch Hunter contained numerous moments and story lines that felt real. And by that I mean things weren't sugar coated, cookie cutter perfect. 

In book one, the Malcolm plot line was dirty and gritty, and completely realistic, horrible as it may be. But in book two, it almost felt like *boom* you're forgiven and I supposed to feel sorry for you now. Except, no. I don't forgive you, and I wasn't even your victim.  

The King Slayer lost a few points with me in the romance department. I loved those two in book one, but for some reason I didn't ship them at all in the second book. I know plot things happened that added tension to their relationship, and I expected some sort of conflict to occur, so I wasn't surprised that something did. But as I read along, it became increasingly harder to remember when I shipped them in the first place. 

Overall

Overall, The King Slayer was a good book, it just wasn't an excellent book. I was entertained while reading the story, but I wasn't wow'd. If you liked The Witch Hunter, then definitely pick up The King Slayer, as it wraps up the plot in a mostly satisfactory way.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...