Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories (ARC review)

Monday, May 9, 2016


Paper Bindings - TITLE: Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo, Francesca Lia Block, Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, Brandy Colbert, Tim Federle, Lev Grossman, Nina LaCour, Stephanie Perkins, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, and Jennifer E. Smith - 3/5 Stars

TITLE: Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories
AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo, Francesca Lia Block, Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, Brandy Colbert, Tim Federle, Lev Grossman, Nina LaCour, Stephanie Perkins, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, and Jennifer E. Smith
RELEASE DATE: May 17th 2016
PUBLISHER: St. Martin's Griffin
add to goodreads

Maybe it's the long, lazy days, or maybe it's the heat making everyone a little bit crazy. Whatever the reason, summer is the perfect time for love to bloom. Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories, written by twelve bestselling young adult writers and edited by the international bestselling author Stephanie Perkins, will have you dreaming of sunset strolls by the lake. So set out your beach chair and grab your sunglasses. You have twelve reasons this summer to soak up the sun and fall in love. Featuring stories by Leigh Bardugo, Francesca Lia Block, Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, Brandy Colbert, Tim Federle, Lev Grossman, Nina LaCour, Stephanie Perkins, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, and Jennifer E. Smith.





Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail" by Leigh Bardugo - Not a fan of the fantasy element and the story went in a few different directions before finding its footing. ★★

"It felt like Little Spindle was closing in on her, like she was standing on a shore that got narrower and narrower as the tide came in. People were talking about SATs and college applications and summer internships. Everything seemed to be speeding up, and everyone seemed to be gathering momentum, ready to go shooting off into the future on carefully plotted trajectories, while Gracie was still struggling to get her bearings." - Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail

"But sometime around the end of July, Gracie heard the drone of the insects turn sorrowful. Despite the heat and the sunburned backs of her thighs and the neon still lit on the main road, she felt summer begin to go." - Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail


"The End of Love" by Nina LaCour - I felt bad for Flora, but I felt that LaCour did a great job of suggesting and illustrating how sometimes we have to make a family for ourselves. ★★★

"Last Stand at the Cinegor" by Libba Bray - I could relate to the movie theatre setting as I have worked in one for years and I liked the main character. Also, though the story was a times funny the ending was a bit predictable.  ★★★
 
"Ah, you people. You never tire of staring up at that screen, imagining yourselves there--better, beautiful, immortal. Everywhere, it's always the same: people sitting in the dark, hungry for the light, for validation, for the idea that good defeats evil, for the smug safety of thinking that they will win in the end." - Last Stand at the Cinegor

"Yeah, but what about the ritual of getting your ticket and your snacks, finding the perfect seat," I countered. "All those strangers watching the movie with you, they change how you see it, you know? You should hear their gasps and laughter and sniffling. It's a communal experience. You can't get that on your laptop or phone. That sharing, its the very foundation of storytelling. It reminds us that we're... Human. Humans who need other humans." - Last Stand at the Cinegor

"Sick Pleasure" by Francesca Lia Block - A bit rushed at the end. ★★★

"In Ninety Minutes, Turn North" by Stephanie Perkins - It was nice to read about North and Marigold again (a pair from the winter edition). ★★★

"Souvenirs" by Tim Federle - I thought Matt was a great character. ★★★★

 "I should shut up and trust my introvert instincts to never get involved, ever." - Souvenirs

 "It is maybe the best thing about being in a relationship: that you can share the heavy load of being alive." - Souvenirs

 "A multitude of people and yet solitude." - Souvenirs


"Inertia" by Veronica Roth - Never thought I could say this to a Roth story again (I still hate you Allegiant), but this one gave me all the feels. ★★★★★

  "I've always had trouble connecting to the happy stuff... It just doesn't make me feel as much." - Inertia

  "... you can be perfectly content instead of... perpetually unsettled." - Inertia

 "... I'm used to being this way. Volatile. Like a walking ball of nerves. I'm worried that if I get rid of the highs, and even the lows--especially the lows--there won't be anything about me that's interesting anymore." - Inertia

 "Some people might leave you," he said, for once ignoring a joke in favor of something real. "But it doesn't mean you're worth leaving. It doesn't mean that at all." - Inertia

 "My mind had a refrain for moments like these. Feel nothing, it said. Feel nothing and it will be easier that way. Burrow down, it said, and cover yourself in earth. Curl into yourself to stay warm, it said, and pretend the rest of the world is not moving. Pretend you are alone, underground, where pain can't reach you. Sightless eyes staring into the dark. Heartbeat slowing. A living corpse is better than a dying heart." - Inertia


"Love is the Last Resort" by Jon Skovron - I skimmed most of this one: did not like any of the characters. ★

"Good Luck and Farewell" by Brandy Colbert - The characters were interesting. ★★★

"Brand New Attraction" by Cassandra Clare - Skimmed this one too - lost me after love potion... ★

"A Thousand Ways this Could All Go Wrong" by Jennifer E. Smith  - A bit different than Smith's usual work, I enjoyed the connection between the main character and her love interest. ★★★★

 "Okay," I said brightly, because that's what I do. I smile, and I nod, and I give it my best shot. That's just always how it's been if my friends are fighting, I'm the one who tries to smooth it over. If someone is mad, at me, I walk around with a pit in my stomach until we've managed to sort things out. If somebody asks me a favor, or gives me a challenge, or needs something from me, the answer is always yes." - A Thousand Ways this Could All Go Wrong

 "See?" I turn to Griffin, who I can tell has been listening. "Everything's fine."
"Well, he says with a shrug, "there were only ever two options. Either it was going to be fine or it wasn't." - A Thousand Ways this Could All Go Wrong


"The Map of Tiny Perfect Things" by Lev Grossman - The concept was unique. ★★★

Overall


The book as a whole did not use its summer setting nearly enough. Most of the stories could have taken place at any time - unlike the winter/holiday installment My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories (2014). Also, a little strangely, most of the stories included the recent death of a loved one, which seemed a little out of place for what was suppose to be a light and fun summer read.


author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...