#Shelfie Time! A Shameless Look At The Evolution of my Bookshelves.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Paper Bindings- #Shelfie Time! A Shameless Look At The Evolution of My Bookshelves



Over The Years My Shelves Have Changed A Lot


I don't really have many photos from the olden days for you guys to see how much they have grown and multiplied, but I'll share what I do have.



The Early Years

Prior to approximately 2005-2006, I didn't even own a bookshelf.

Shocker, I know. But it is the truth. I never really got into reading for fun until about that time frame. While I didn't completely hate required reading school (I only mostly hated it) it never occurred to me that I might find a book outside of the school setting that I would enjoy.

Even once I started reading for fun, I only had one pathetically-not-even-close-to-full bookcase to call my own. I stored just about everything but books on it to keep it from tipping over.


The Year 2014



At this point in my bookish life, I basically only owned four authors:
  • Robert Jordan (I confiscated the Wheel of Time books from my mother.)
  • Sherrilyn Kenyon (Her Dark Hunter and The League series.)
  • Katie MacAlister (Both her Dark Ones and multiple dragon series books.)
  • Kerrelyn Sparks (Her Love At Stake series.)

Somewhere at the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 was where I really got hooked on reading and started buying a lot of books. But at this point in time, I stayed caught up on my owned TBR.

The Year 2015

(OMG this photo is aweful! But it is the only one with my bookshelves in it, so please, forget you saw it right after you look at it.)

By early 2015, I made it into two bookshelf territory. But, as you can see, I mainly used them to store my knicknacks (I told you guys I have a lot of dragon figurines.) I still had plenty of open space. I'd forgotten what that looked like.

I still mainly owned those four authors mentioned above, but I'm starting to branch out a bit. I can see a few books I still haven't read yet. This is the origin of my uncontrollable unread TBR monster. I blame discovering my library had book sales.

By the end of 2015 I owned three full sized bookshelves (one was wider than normal,) two smaller bookshelves, and two 3X3 cubes that I stored books in.


The Beginning of 2016


Remember this?


And this?

What about these guys?

By 2016 my collection is out of control and unorgainzed.

Since I moved and my bookcases (minus the one that I thought was too damaged to survive a move) were in storage, I needed to do something. So I bought two regular sized book cases and two that are only three shelves.

Now


As of the end of May 2016, I now have:
  • 3 tall bookshelves
  • 2 three shelf bookshelves
  • 1 mini three shelf bookshelf

Bookwise:
  • (Per Goodreads) I have 275 owned and unread books. ((OMG, that is 14 more than when I posted the details about my owned TBR on May 20th, 2016.)
  • (From counting) I have 838 books on all my shelves. 
That's roughly 33% of the books I own are unread.

What are your numbers like?


Let's meet the shelves


I will apologize for the quality of some of the photographs. There are places in my room this room that don't get as well lit as others by natural lighting.


There is my lone brown furniture in a room of black. I tried to buy another bookshelf to match the rest but after 4 failed attempts, I was too angry with a certain store and their product to try again. I can live with it not matching. 



The tops of my bookshelves are also known as "miscellaneous junk storage area." The left one has all my glass bottles and oil burners. The right has my minions, the pipe fox I made (from the anime XXXholic,) my African Wild Dog from the Bronx Zoo (because I swear my dog is related to them,) and my random jewelry tree.



This bookshelf's organization wasn't really planned and it was the last one I filled in. It ended up being primarily YA books with double stacked adult paperbacks. You can start to see my dragon obsession showing through. I have not read most of the books pictured. 



This picture is subtitled: The Floor Overflow Pile. These are the books I cannot fit on my shelves. Most of them (minus a few such as The Lord of The Rings, the two Cynthia Hand books, the Douglas Houck books, and the Shakespeare book) are all relatively new.  

There are a few ARCs in the pile on the right that were given to me, a few books in the middle from my local used book store, and more than I should admit that were purchased new.

The hidden shelf behind the overflow pile is full of my Stephen King and Dean Koontz books. (Minus what had to go one shelf higher.)


This bookshelf is basically my new book shelf. With the exception of ACOTAR, Coldest (hidden in back of row two,) my ARCs in the top shelf, Reawakened, and Powerless, everything here was purchased or given to me since this year started. 

Honestly, most of them were acquired within the last 3 weeks. Yeah, I nearly bought J.D. Robb's entire In Death series within the matter of a few weeks. (All but 3 of them were from the used book store too. Had to buy a few early ones new so I can binge read them for my upcoming June TBR Goal.)

Tucked in the space between the two bookshelves are a few books I had no room elsewhere for.




This bookshelf is mainly Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kerrelyn Sparks, and Katie MacAlister. But you can see some YA books tucked in there at the top.

By now you are really starting to see my dragon collection, and the start of my shot glass and Funko Pop collections. 



Part two of my Sherrilyn Kenyon and Katie MacAlister bookshelf. Hey, is that empty space? Kudos if you guessed the book on the right is my Fallout 4 guide.



I present to you my fantasy shelf. Or at least one dedicated to two authors. On the left we have the first series I ever read. On the right, my budding Brandon Sanderson collection.



There is no real order to this bookshelf. And honestly, I didn't have the energy to change it up since I last redid it. I've only read about half of these books. On the bottom is my Novelly Yours book themed candle collection. (Love them!) Scattered around the shelves are my Funko Pops. (Obsessed with them!)



This might be my favorite shelves to photograph. Eventually I'm going to redo all of my shelves and follow some sort of pattern instead of just filling one up, getting another, filling it up, and repeat. More of my Funko Pops are here, plus my swag preorder goodies from A Gathering of Magic, and my book dragon statue.



Up top: more miscellaneous authors. 
Below: my Richelle Mead, Nora Roberts, and Lara Adrian books.

Plus there is my bookish pen and bookmark collections tucked in my dragon cup. 



All the manga I own. I used to have a lot more but I ended up getting rid of the series I will never read again or never spend the money on to own the rest of.


And there you have it, those are all my bookshelves and all the books I own.



What do your shelves look like? How do you organize them?

6 comments:

  1. Holey smokes! Thanks for the tour. I love these kinds of posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I really hope they do the Shelfie Hop again. I can't wait to rearrange my shelves the way I really want them one day and show them off again. These posts are some of my favorite too. I love searching through the shelfie and bookshelves tags on Instagram.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I feel your struggle. I won't mention the number of mine that I haven't read yet. It's a little insane. And I have a few custom built shelves as well as book cases that I bought. I'm out of room. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am extremely curious. You're making me think your numbers are higher than mine. (And I thought mine was on the high side) Where did you get your custom shelves from? (A store or someone you know? I've been thinking about getting a set up made.)

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. THE EARS YOU BOUGHT AT DISNEY ARE ON YOUR SHELVES <3 I love your shelves! And that JLA spot is perfection

    I miss you! Hopefully we can meet up again when I go down later this year

    Have a lovely day!

    Xx Sincerely,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THOSE EARS! THEY ARE SO ME! Thank you. I kind of want to put all of JLA's books together, but I think she'll take up the whole shelf herself.

      That's so exciting to hear you're coming back down. Definitely let me know if you want to hang out or something.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...