40 Instant Reactions To My Lady Jane

Saturday, May 7, 2016


Paper Bindings - 40 Instant Reactions To My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows - 5/5 stars - Young Adult (YA) - Historical - Retelling

TITLE: My Lady Jane
AUTHOR: Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows
RELEASE DATE: June 7th 2016
PUBLISHER: HarperTeen
add to goodreads

“For fans of The Princess Bride comes the comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey.

Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger—and caught up in an insidious plot to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that’s the least of Jane’s problems. She’s about to become Queen of England. Like that could go wrong.”




RELATED: [Cynthia Hand: Boundless[Jodi Meadows: The Hidden Prince (The Orphan Queen #0.1) | The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen #0.2) | The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen #0.3) | The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen #0.4) | The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1) | The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen #2) | The Orphan Queen Launch Party | Mirror King Blog Tour - Top 10 Vigilantes]

Reactions While Reading My Lady Jane:

  • The dedication in the beginning sets the perfect tone for this book.
  • Um, these ladies scare me already. No one is safe in their hands! --->
"We are merely narrators, and would hate to make assumptions as to what readers would find tragic."
  • The humor in this book is 1000% my kind of humor. (page 3)
"Poor King Edward, now under the ground.

Hacked his lungs out. They've yet to be found." (Thought of by Edward himself.)
  • This is all really just grand. XD (page 19)
  • I really like Jane. She's got her nose stuck in a book, except for when action is needed, then she charges on ahead.
  • This is 100% how I feel about books and reading.
"And most of all, she loved the way that books could transport her from her otherwise mundane and stifling life and offer experiences of a hundred other lives. Through books she could see the world."
  • Jane's history with suitors should (a) scare Lord Gifford, and (b) indicate a highly entertaining story lies ahead. (page 30)
  • G, this is the start of a beautiful something. (page 40)
  • Scandalous!! (page 41)
  • Oh my, G. That was totally unexpected and an entirely perfect turn of events. (page 49)
  • (In regards to a certain quotation on page 74) *Snickers* This is way funnier than it should be.
  • The humor in this book is completely what I needed in my life right now.
  • Why do I get the feeling my heart might get bruised before the end?
  • Yup, definitely worried about what these authors have planned.
  • And the plot thickens ---> my favorite kind of plots.
  • I am going to use this logic the next time someone says I have too many books. (page 131)
"He wanted to tell her she'd have more room if she'd just get rid of her books, but he supposed that in her case, it would be like telling a mother she'd have more room if she threw out her children."
  • Underneath all the humor is actually some pretty serious topics.
  • This book reminds me a lot of the movie A Knight's Tale in that it is a historical story that doesn't completely respect the boundaries of time. (page 145)
"The king was in trouble, or, as they would have phrased it at the time, up ye olde creek sans ye paddle."
  • G, for your comic, yet entirely well meaning "get her a book" thought, I have decided I now love you.
  • I like that the Edians are influenced by their animal instincts. 
  • This book is all I ever wanted it to be. (page 200)
  • Who indeed?
"Who on Earth could feel comfortable enough to sleep in a room with no books?"
  • Thank you dearest Jane for possessing a brain.
  • The titles of all the books Jane has read ("real" and what G theorizes she has read) are some of my favorite parts of My Lady Jane.
  • All I can think of now is Gaston AND I'm singing the song. (She was he one, the lucky girl he was going to marry.)
"She was the one, he decided. The lucky girl he was going to kiss."
  • Oh, how very true this is and yet, is it?
"The despair in books was a distant, safe thing."
  • Jane is now describing the very first book hangover in recorded history.
  • AHA!
  • I KNEW IT! Somehow, I am not at all surprised. XD (And when you get there, I bet you aren't either.)
  • *sings* Romantic tension...
  • This might be my favorite line, but I cannot repeat it because, as River Song would say: "Spoilers." (page 329)
  •  You knock on some wood right now characters, we do not talk of "Happy Ever Afters" before the climax of the story.
  • Gran is scary. Gran is boss. Gran wins all.
  • "The GWBR" : And now I'm channeling The Princess Bride.
  • G, I love you.
  • No more time for writing comments down. Must read faster.
  • Dear Narrators, don't tell me to worry for my friends. Sincerely, Already Panicked. (page 438)
  • Oh? That's his notable gift? XD *snickers* (page 455)
  • Jane has read all these great books. I'm starting to notice a lack of "practical" books in my repertoire.  
  • It is a good line, G. (page 463)

Overall

A big thank you to everyone involved in the ARC tour for letting me participate. My Lady Jane was a great read. Despite it's approximately 500 pages, it flew by so fast.

The characters were well written and lovable. The plot was a fantastic reimaging of Lady Jane Gray's life. It's hard to imaging falling in love with a story like this when you know what really happened to the characters involved but the authors did a wonderful job with it all.

If you are looking for a historical YA novel to read, I highly recommend My Lady Jane.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...