Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog - "When I first started blogging back in October of 2012.....I made some mistakes.   I treated the blog (then called Once Upon A Dream Books) more like a journal or dumb down version of one of my old websites.  I didn't really have a plan or a structure to fall back on. It was kind of whatever I thought to add for that day. I add a few tricks into the posts, tables, but never really went anywhere with them...."

When I first started blogging back in October of 2012.....I made some mistakes.

  • I treated the blog (then called Once Upon A Dream Books) more like a journal or watered down version of one of my old websites. 
I didn't really have a plan or a structure to fall back on. It was kind of whatever I thought to review for that day. I added a few tricks into the posts (like tables) but never really went anywhere with them.

  • I didn't have any images. 
Mainly because I hadn't thought to take my own and wasn't yet introduced to free stock images. My posts were boring and all text. With the several overhauls I've done to the site, they are at least visually more appealing now.


  • There were <table> coding involved.
We will never again speak of these dark days. The tables are all gone now, or at least everyone I saw on my post updating spree. I think I got them all.


  • I reviewed books just for the sake of reviewing books.
I said 'yes' to reviewing books I didn't want to read simply because I was excited and author choose to ask me to read and review their book. I read too many freebie ebooks that really weren't worth my time. It was rare for me to stop reading a book when I really should have.


RELATED : 5 Blogging Mistakes I've Made and The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way // How To Use CSS To Rock Your Posts Even If You Don't Understand Coding Well // HTML All Book Bloggers Should Know In Order To Be Successful


A lot of my successful technical blogging moments were self taught.


I kept working at being a book blogger, slowly moving in the direction I wanted to go. There were set backs, massive disappointments, and I've had my dream blogger bubble burst a time or two in the years I've been doing this. 

But I kept going. And I'm glad I never gave up.

Blogging is a community.

We teach each other, and we learn from each other.

Are there some bad apples on some massively high horses? You betcha. 

If I had time (and the memory necessary) I'd list all the bloggers and all the posts that taught me, inspired me, turned me jealous, or just pushed me into becoming a better blog.

But as I can't remember what I ate for breakfast last Tuesday without checking my Fitbit, you guys get a free pass on that.


Instead, I present to you the top five posts that changed the way I blog.

Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

Post: How I Dropped My 'Book Blogger' Label and Why
Website: Nellie and Co.
URL: http://nellieandco.blogspot.com/2015/10/dropping-blogging-labels.html

Why: For years I believed you were either a book blogger or you weren't. Until I read Amanda's post it never really started to think that you could blog about bookish things and not focus solely on reviewing books. I mean, it is my blog, I know I can do what ever I want with it and all. But for the first time, I didn't feel pressured to have all the latest and greatest reviews up.



Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

Post: Organize Your Blog With An Editorial Calendar
Website: Being Spiffy
URL: http://www.beingspiffy.com/blog/organize-your-blog-with-an-editorial-calendar

Why: "Plan your posts in advance." "Follow a calendar." "Be organized." <---- Those comments don't really help you when you are unsure where to begin. I think my biggest problem in trying to get organized was not seeing the overall picture. This post really helped me to see and focus on that while also breaking it down so I can (hopefully) come up with better post ideas for Paper Bindings.



Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

And the related post.....

Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

Post: How to Make Black and White Photos With Colour Accents On Picmonkey // How I Edit My #Bookstagram Photos Using Picmonkey
Website: Paper Fury
URL: http://paperfury.com/tutorial-how-to-make-black-and-white-photos-with-colour-accent-on-picmonkey // http://paperfury.com/tutorial-how-i-edit-my-bookstagram-photos-using-picmonkey

Why: I never really thought you "could" edit posts for your blog or Instagram. I mean, I have a version of Photoshop, so I know technically you can. But I never really thought it was acceptable, so I never played around with it. I never even used Picmonkey until I saw Cait's post on it. Though I never really started using the knowledge the tutorial taught me for my blog until I came across the following post and started making my own header images.



Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

Post: How I Create My Blog's Graphics | Part Two: Canva
Website: Nellie and Co.
URL: http://nellieandco.blogspot.com/2015/09/blog-graphics-canva.html

Why: This is the post that changed everything for me graphic wise. Canva opened up a whole never level to my blogging that I think has made every post on my blog visually more appealing than they ever were before. I may have started out with stock images but now I'm working on having the only images on my blog be ones I have taken. Not only am I working on removing over used stock images, I'm also adding my own personality to each post.




Paper Bindings - Five Posts By Other People That Changed The Way I Blog

Post: How To Create Content Upgrades and PDFs With Canva
Website: Nellie and Co.
URL: http://nellieandco.blogspot.com/2015/11/create-content-upgrades-pdfs-canva.html

Why: I'd seen those "downloadable checklist" and "free cheat sheet" on various blogs before, but I'd never known a way to go about making one before. This is something I hope to start using in the future.


Now I turn to you

If you hadn't come across these posts on your own yet, or weren't aware of all the little tips and tricks they held inside, I really hope they inspire you too.


Are there are posts or bloggers out there that have inspired or taught you something new? Please share them and tell us why!

4 comments:

  1. AHHH *FLAILS* I'm so glad the Picmonkey tutorials were helpful!! :D And I'm so happy to see Amanda's blog here because omg isn't she the best??? She's taught me SO MUCH and I do love how she's about blogging and books and teaching. <3 It's so helpful.
    These are fabulous things to have learned, Carrie. ;D One of my favourite parts of blogging is that you can keep learning epic stuff no matter how long you've been doing it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for those tutorials! They were a lot of help. Amanda is the greatest. Her site is one of my favorites because she's always so helpful. "One of my favourite parts of blogging is that you can keep learning epic stuff no matter how long you've been doing it." Yes! It's always great to learn new things. It really keeps blogging interesting.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love reading about what's helped you with blogging! As a blogger still finding her way around, it's encouraging to learn others struggled before finding their rhythm! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope these links have helped you! Sometimes you look out there and think that no one else struggles because they seem to have it all together. But we all started out new at one point. I hope you find your blogging feet!

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...