A Tale In Which Epic Levels Of Swoon Are Reached And I Have Found My OTP- Double Down (ARC Review)

Saturday, April 2, 2016


Lois Lane: Double Down by Gwenda Bond

TITLE: Double Down (Lois Lane #2)
AUTHOR: Gwenda Bond
RELEASE DATE: May 1st, 2016
PUBLISHER: SwitchPress
add to goodreads

“Lois Lane has settled in to her new school. She has friends, for maybe the first time in her life. She has a job that challenges her. And her friendship is growing with SmallvilleGuy, her online maybe-more-than-a-friend. But when her friend Maddy’s twin collapses in a part of town she never should’ve been in, Lois finds herself embroiled in a dangerous mystery that brings her closer to the dirty underbelly of Metropolis.”




RELATED: Lois Lane: A Real Work of Art // Lois Lane: Cloudy With A Chance of Destruction // Fallout



I'm not going to lie, being approved for an ARC of Double Down is the current highlight of my blogging life. I'm not a Superman fan, or at least I was not before, but it was like Fallout was written for me. It had everything I wanted in a story: swoon, great characters, a fantastic plot, and more. So I had a dance of joy moment at the mailbox when my review copy of Double Down arrived.

Double Down did not disappoint. 

Lois was secure in her role as a journalist. She may not know all the answers, but she knew how to track them down. This time around, however, the big story she stumbled upon pushed straight up against the one area where she lacked confidence: her new friendships. I loved watching her struggle to get the facts while balancing it out the emotional side of dealing with how her friends felt as the details started emerging.

I think Gwenda Bond captured the struggle of having friends and being in relationships of any sort while following your own goals and wants beautifully. Anyone could easily identify with Lois in this book. 

The romance was just as swoon-worthy in Double Down as it was in Fallout

Even my phone agrees, since all I have to do is type "s" and the new love of my life "SmallevilleGuy" is auto-suggested. 

Lois and SmallevilleGuy's maybe-something-more friendship was put under strain when a mysterious poster started claiming to have insider information about the flying man. As a reader with Superman knowledge and the ability to read between the lines, it's not hard to figure out why he was freaked out. 

But as Lois said,
"I was sympathetically rattled- which, I realized, is what it means to care about someone."
Every single one of their interactions was full of moments like that where you just knew they understood each other. Lois may have no idea who SmallevilleGuy was but there is no doubt in my mind she could pick him out of a line up like one of those old dating shows where they pick a date based only upon answers to questions.

One of the things I love most about this book was that it was more of a Superman story, and yet it wasn't one bit. Focusing on Lois instead of Superman/Clark was a wonderful decision for a series. It gave the author more room to play with than simply following a more traditional path of a story we all know parts of while creating one of my all-time favorite YA heroines. Lois was a fantastic. She was strong and loyal, and more than a little willing to do what needed to be done because it was the right thing to do even if it put her at odds with others. 

If I didn't know who SmallvilleGuy really was, I could just as easily be reading any unique story as I could a re-imagining of a classic. But it was really cool to have that "I'm totally a geek but who cares" moment of realization when something in the story referenced someone or something from the Superman world.


"Having people you cared about and who cared about you in return wasn't easier than being lonely. It was a different kind of hard. A kind of hard that could hurt someone besides yourself, if you weren't careful."

"Like ships passing in the hall. You guys are so freaking cute."

"Sometimes you had to put yourself out there, no matter how hard it felt to do so. When the people in your life were worth it, so was the risk."

Overall


Gwenda Bond is a master at having plots within plots. Everything in this world was wonderfully connected with everything else. Actions had consequences, and every decision made was real and believable. All of the characters were fully fleshed out and I got to watch them continue to grow as the story progressed.

Reading Double Down was like stopping in to see how an old friend was doing. It may be just a book, but it was not just a story. Double Down was a living creature that continued to grow and learn as the pages turned, and it forced you to think and evaluate many lessons broached in the novel. Lessons you did not even realize were being presented unless you were like me and had to jot down almost fifty quotations to save in your memorable journal.

Double Down is easily one of my favorite reads of 2015 and I am looking forward getting a final copy. I really hope we get to have more adventures with Lois Lane and SmallevilleGuy in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh I'm glad you liked it! I know that I'm not a Superman fan either...but this sounds so awesome!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois is amazing! Seriously, she is my new hero. Since the story focuses on her it is more contemporary, but it does have that "out there" not typical bad guy situations she stumbles onto. I highly recommend this series.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. This book was so great! I love the Lois/Clark dynamic so much. I was never a big Superman fan growing up, as far as DC went I was a Batfamily/Wonder Woman sort of girl when it came to comics, but I watched 'Lois and Clark' and 'Smallville'. All I kept thinking during the first few seasons of Smallville was: Why are we still taking about Lana Lang? Who cares if she and Clark get together? Lois is the future and better in every way. These books totally support that opinion, it's the highschool!AU Clois that I've been waiting for... even if they still haven't technically met, lol. Gwenda Bond needs to keep writing these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope we get more. I kind of want to make everyone preorder them so we can secure their future.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...