The Books I Had To Put Down This Quarter (Mini Reviews)

Friday, April 29, 2016

Paper Bindings - Mini Reviews


There have been quite a few books that I've liked, or disliked, lately that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review. But I wanted to say something about the books.

So here is the latest batch of mini reviews:


Tell The Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan - DNF
* Half Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout - DNF
* Melt (Rough Romance #1) by Selene Castrovilla - DNF




Tell The Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan - DNF
DNF @ 20%
Title: Tell the Wind and Fire
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Release Date: April 5th 2016
Publisher: Clarion Books - Houghton Mifflin Books


I really wanted to like this book. I have heard a lot about this author's other works, so I had high hopes. But right from the start I knew this wasn't going to be a book for me. The intro chapter was very confusing. We were tossed into this world and it was hard to orient myself. Terms were used almost with the understanding you knew more about the world than you did.

Chapter three started off with our narrator saying, "I didn't begin this story right." (13% into the book) And all I could think of was, "Yeah, Lucie, you didn't." The chapter then proceeds to overwhelm us with the highlights of the Dark/Light division and why the people of her world might care if Lucie was killed within the first 13% of the book.

I might have been able to overlook the initial confusion except what I read of the book was pretty boring. While chapter three wasn't really "telling," it was still a massive info dump. I had a hard time forcing myself to pay attention to what I was reading. After much debating and guilt, I decided it was best for me to put this one aside for now.

*Received a copy via NetGalley for an honest review.*





Half Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout - DNF
DNF @ 42%
Title: Half-Blood (Covenant #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: October 18th 2011
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press


I think I might be the only one of my friends to not like this book. It's certainly the only book I've read by this author that I did not enjoy.

I had a hard time dealing with all the Vampire Academy vibes this book radiates. Honestly I have no idea which series came first, and I don't care to know.

Something about the world-building/mythology behind the series wasn't as good as it was in Vampire Academy which made this book fell like a cheap knock off version. Which stinks because I loved the prequel novella quite a lot and had high hopes for this series. (Not that I'm saying it is a copy or anything, since the worlds were different enough to be their own thing.)

My other problem with this book, and ultimately why I put it down, was the Special Snowflake AKA Alexandria. Her whining annoyed me greatly.

And why in the hell would she completely slack off in the physical strength department when danger could strike at any time? They do have gyms in the real world you know. Maybe she wouldn't be as good as she should have been since she had no one to spar with or offer her instruction on new daimon fighting techniques, but come on.

Slacks off for three years, and I get to hear about a billions times that any 10 year old in their world is a better fighter than her. *bangs head* I think the only reason she sucked was so we could get sexual tension scenes between her and the boy.

RELATED : White Hot Kiss // Stone Cold Touch // Every Last Breath // Onyx // Damion // Wait for You




Melt (Rough Romance #1) by Selene Castrovilla - DNF
DNF @ pg23/261
Title: Melt (Rough Romance #1)
Author: Selene Castrovilla
Release Date: November 6th 2014 by Last Syllable Books
Publisher: Last Syllable Books


Right away
I
didn't like Joey's
POV style
It got
annoying
fast.

I skimmed the book and that's how all his chapters were like that. I get it supposed to mean he was messed up in the head, but it was annoying. In other books writing like that usually signified a sociopath/serial killer, so it made it hard to accept this was going the be the romance hero.

Dorothy's POV was more traditionally written but I couldn't connect with her either. It was very apparent from page one that this wasn't my book. I tried, but I couldn't force myself to finish it.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...