The Clean Sweep | Mini Reviews

Monday, March 14, 2016

Paper Bindings - Mini Reviews


There have been quite a few books that I've liked, or disliked, lately that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review. But I wanted to say something about the books.

With my goal of starting fresh on the blog, here are all the books I "owe" some sort of review for.

So here is the latest batch of mini reviews:

  • The Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas - ★★★★
  • Love and Decay Volume One by Rachel Higginson - ★★★
  • How To Seduce A Vampire Without Really Trying by Kerrelyn Sparks - ★★★★★
  • Crouching Tiger Forbidden Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks - ★★★★★
  • Between The  Covers by Assorted Authors - *no rating*
  • Winter Wonders by Assorted Authors - ★★






★★★★
Title: These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks #1)
Author: Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
Release Date: February 9th 2016
Publisher: Swoon Reads


This was a really cute book. I liked the premise and historical setting. But my mind was constantly comparing it to X-Men once the powers started being revealed. I'm not sure how I feel about the love triangle aspect of it. I kind of liked one boy and I kind of wanted to smack the other one. I plan to read the next book to see how the story progresses.







★★★
Title: Love and Decay, Volume One (Love and Decay 1 #1-6)
Author: Rachel Higginson
Release Date: September 28th 2013
Publisher: Indie


This compilation started out pretty good. But then things got a bit repetitive, and not just at the start of each new episode. I got tired of hearing about how the heroines are virgins and the boys are possessive cave men. I kind of skim read the last few episodes as my enjoyment level dropped.

RELATED: Heir of Skies (Starbright #1)





★★★★★
Title: How to Seduce a Vampire (Without Really Trying) (Love at Stake #15)
Author: Kerrelyn Sparks
Release Date: April 29th 2014
Publisher: Avon


I rather enjoyed this book. I don't know why I waited to read it other than the fact that it was one step closer to the end. I <3 Zoltan.








RELATED: The Forbidden Lady (Historical #1) | Wild About You (Love at Stake #13) | The Vampire With The Dragon Tattoo (Love at Stake #14)Crouching Tiger, Forbidden Vampire (Love at Stake #16)






★★★★★
Title: Crouching Tiger, Forbidden Vampire (Love at Stake #16)
Author: Kerrelyn Sparks
Release Date: December 30th 2014
Publisher: Avon


I'll admit I was scared of this book, and not just because it was the last in the series. I wasn't sold on reading a book about Russell. But I fell in love with him pretty quickly and this story won me over with only a few pages. This was a wonderful end to one of the first series I've ever picked up as a reader for fun.





RELATED: The Forbidden Lady (Historical #1) | Wild About You (Love at Stake #13) | The Vampire With The Dragon Tattoo (Love at Stake #14) | How to Seduce a Vampire (Without Really Trying) (Love at Stake #15)






No Rating
Title: Between the Covers (Sampler)
Author: J. Lynn, Cora Carmack, Jay Crownover, Lisa Desrochers, Abigail Gibbs, Sophie Jordan, Molly McAdams, Shannon Stoker
Release Date: April 30th 2013
Publisher: William Morrow


Aside from the one I already read by J. Lynn, none of the others captured my attention and made me want to read them.










★★
Title: Winter Wonders (Anthology)
Author: Alexandra Shostak, Anne Riley, Heather McCorkle, Christine Fonseca, Connie Keller, Elle Strauss, Harley May, Jamey Stegmaier, Jen Stayrook, Jodi Burrus, Judith Graves, Karen Amanda Hooper, Krissi Dallas, Mercedes M. Yardley, Natalie Cone, Regan Leigh, T.S. Tate, Yelena Casale, Tina Moss, Crystal Salmen, Crystal Harris
Release Date: December 2012
Publisher: Compass Press



  • Definition of Insanity: (4/5) Pretty cute. If there was more, I'd read it.
  • Degenerate: (3/5) Interesting concept, but I don't know.
  • Screwing Up Mongolia: (DNF) Part of series and I was completely lost. Also thought the main character was a girl for quite a bit.
  • As You Are: (3/5) Cute but I am highly annoyed by what motivates her at the end.
  • Enigma: (DNF) Another series novella that made me feel like I was missing something major.
  • At Least It's Snow: (2/5) Eh.
  • Steadfast Steam Soldier: (3/5) Eh.
  • The Fat Files: (4.5/5) Best story in the anthology. Was pretty cute.
  • The End of the World: (3/5) Eh.
  • Pink Snow: (4.5/5) Second greatest story in the anthology. Pretty cute. 
  • The Want of Stars: (3/5) Eh. 
  • Blood on the Snow: (3.5/5) Read already. But was still interesting to read a second time.
  • The Sound of Us: (4/5) Interesting story that makes you think.
  • A Piece of Blue String: (DNF) Eh.
  • Angels in the Snow: (3/5) Eh.
  • Blood Sparrows: (I have no idea/5) Why would a child grow up to meet her FATHER and FALL AS DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH HIM AS HER MOTHER? Why? And then maybe he'd MAKE HER A WEDDING BAND? Either I'm missing something here or this story got skewed quickly. 
  • The Library: (3/5) Coward.
  • Til Hunt Be Done: (DNF) Eh.
  • The Opera House: (DNF) Eh.
  • Amarok's Bite: (2.5/5) This girl is pretty dumb.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...