In Which I Die A Thousand Deaths And My Soul Is Consumed By Wraiths - The Mirror King (ARC Review)

Friday, March 4, 2016


In Which I Die A Thousand Deaths And My Soul Is Consumed By Wraiths - The Mirror King (ARC Review) - TITLE: The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen #2) AUTHOR: Jodi Meadows RELEASE DATE: April 5th, 2016 PUBLISHER: Katherine Tegen Books - HarperCollins

TITLE: The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen #2)
AUTHOR: Jodi Meadows
RELEASE DATE: April 5th, 2016
PUBLISHER: Katherine Tegen Books - HarperCollins
add to goodreads

“Wilhelmina has a hundred enemies.

HER FRIENDS HAVE TURNED. After her identity is revealed during the Inundation, Princess Wilhelmina is kept prisoner by the Indigo Kingdom, with the Ospreys lost somewhere in the devastated city. When the Ospreys’ leader emerges at the worst possible moment, leaving Wil’s biggest ally on his deathbed, she must become Black Knife to set things right.

HER MAGIC IS UNCONTROLLABLE. Wil’s power is to animate, not to give true life, but in the wraithland she commanded a cloud of wraith mist to save herself, and later ordered it solid. Now there is a living boy made of wraith—destructive and deadly, and willing to do anything for her.

HER HEART IS TORN. Though she’s ready for her crown, declaring herself queen means war. Caught between what she wants and what is right, Wilhelmina realizes the throne might not even matter. Everyone thought the wraith was years off, but already it’s destroying Indigo Kingdom villages. If she can’t protect both kingdoms, soon there won’t be a land to rule.

In this stunning conclusion to THE ORPHAN QUEEN, Jodi Meadows follows Wilhelmina’s breathtaking and brave journey from orphaned criminal on the streets to magic-wielding queen.”





The first bookish event I was lucky enough to attend was for a little book called The Orphan Queen.

I immediately devour the book and fell in love with all the characters. Since that moment, I have been eagerly awaiting The Mirror King.

When fate allowed me to read that book a little early, well I crawled across a bed of broken glass, swam through a sea of sharks, and passed all the other painful cliche obstacles to get there.

The Mirror King picked up right where Jodi Meadows so cruelly left us.

Immediately my heart was pounding and tears were forming; it was like I never left this world.

But actions have consequences, and some major things occurred one right after the other so that the pace never slowed and the stakes never leveled. This book never for one second let up and allowed me to catch my breath. Wil and Co. were fighting each other and politics as much as they were fighting the wraith and time. Just when you thought things might be stable, that maybe our heroes could get ahead, something new and surprising, and yet looking back, inevitable, always happened.

Jodi did a wonderful job with character development.

Wil was absolutely spectacular. Already she had grown so much with what she endured during The Orphan Queen. But now she needed to learn how to wrangle politicians, protect her people, and do everything a good queen needed to do in a world where she found herself clashing against the restrains the job title of queen placed her in.

Oh, and lets not forget the wraith threat closing in on them.

Speaking of wraith, wraith-boy was a phenomenal character. Phenomenal in the sense, that I'd never want to meet him because I'd probably die a horrible death in a misunderstanding accident but his character added so much depth to the story.

Now get to the boys, I hear you saying.

James was James. How could you not love him? He was just as loyal, just as devoted as to Tobiah as he was in The Orphan Queen. But now we got to see a bit more of the true him coming through, and the guy stole a sliver of my heart away from Tobiah.

And Tobiah? Read and find out.

Seriously, I am going to be that cruel. Just don't be like me and have to skim read the last few pages looking for signs of their happy ever after. Don't do it. You run the risk of spoiling yourself, for not only that plot line, but also a major one as well.

Still need something?

Fine. If I wasn't afraid of Wil, I'd have stolen him from the story. Because it has to be true love when you really admire someone for doing what they believe is the right thing for the kingdom, even while your heart is being crushed and your soul is shattering.

The romance was tortuously wonderful, and my heart still has the scars to prove it.

Jodi, I salute you. 

You made me fall in love with these the characters and route for their happy ever after. Yet, while they were conscious of their heart's desires, you kept the book from falling into the pitfall where romance takes over at stupid and unbelievable times.

A thousand stars for that alone.

Quotations I Cannot Forget

"For the sake of my security teams, are they [The Ospreys] like you?" (James)
Able to sneak in and out of guarded buildings, fight opponents twice their size, and pocket valuables without anyone noticing? "I helped train them." (Wil)
"I was afraid of that." (James, pg 39.)

All I can imagine at this point in the book was all the tiny terrors Wil and Black Knife were going to have. ((Because my ship was going to sail forever. I'd patch it up myself if I had to, but I would keep my faith in them.))

My word for word thought: "OMG, the kingdom is doomed. They are going to have the most awesome tiny vigilantes babies ever."

Can you just imagine them all? Because they'd have a horde of them.

"We had masks and secret lives, and it was so easy to forget our obligations while we both wore black and met in the dark."

"Power and responsibility don't wait for us to feel ready; they are thrust upon us, always too soon."

"You see through my masks."


Overall


Out of 190 books (as of mid October when I read The Mirror King) my top three books of 2015 were Truthwitch, The Orphan Queen, and The Mirror King. If that doesn't sum up my feels for this book in one sentence, nothing will. I'm counting down the seconds until I can get a copy of this book for myself. And If I had some high valued ARCS to trade, I'd be scouring the net for these ARCs.

Even though it is only two books long, The Orphan Queen series might be one of my top favorite books series of all time. Because "this was love without masks."

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...