Back in the Reading Saddle: The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1)

Monday, March 21, 2016




TITLE: The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1)
AUTHOR: Jennifer A. Nielsen
RELEASE DATE: April 1, 2012
PUBLISHER: Scholastic

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king’s long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner’s motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword’s point—he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage’s rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner’s sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed reading The False Prince. I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk for the better part of a year but I think this book may have finally brought me out if it. One, because I can’t think of the last time I spend the whole day reading a book and two, I liked the book so much it inspired me to write a review for it. Another thing that sadly I haven’t been in the mood for in a long while.

I didn’t know this book existed until a patron at work – albeit a 12 year old boy (I read YA books. I have no shame, nor do I make any apologies :p.)- came up to me begging for me to find it so he could read it. I looked through the summary of The False Prince on Amazon it while debating if I should buy the book and its sequels for this kid and for work. I decided that the summary looked interesting.  Sure it was in the intermediate section and not even the YA I usually go for but I figured what the heck. I reserved a copy of it for him and myself at another library and made a promise to buy the series for the children’s room.

It sat in my office for a while and I almost gave it back to the library when I thought, you’ve been wanting to get into reading again, a intermediate book should be a quick read even if it’s terrible.  I started to read it one Saturday morning – coincidentally after finishing This is Why You’re Single by Laura Lane & Angela Spera, another good book for entirely more adult reasons – and I couldn’t put it down. It was the very opposite of terrible.


If you’ve read a few blog posts from Tisha or myself you’ve probably noticed that we’re very into the CW’s Reign (RIP Francis!).  The False Prince has much what I love about Reign in it: intrigue, royalty, stubborn men to root for and strong female characters.  The plot moves along quickly and you’ll begin to root for Sage as the story progresses. I also liked how the author was able to add a few mysteries between the lines all while keeping the text in first person.  I don’t want to give too much away but the twist and turns are interesting, well thought out, and I won’t say is completely difficult to figure out but still is fun as you go along for the ride. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

Overall


A quick, fun read especially for fans of adventure series or royal intrigue.

"A person can be educated and still be stupid, and a wise man can have no education at all." "There's an old saying in Avenia that goes, 'Just because it's calmer than a hailstorm doesn't mean it's calm.'"
author image

Tracy

Tracy is a history/film fan who loves to read YA, historical and contemporary fiction. She’s also a sucker for a sad tale. Harry Potter (“Harry Potter”), Peeta Mellark (“Hunger Games”), Nathaniel Blake (“Little Men”) and Daniel Landon (“Catcher, Caught”) are her literary boyfriends. She’s also the resident Ravenclaw and librarian.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...