Unfiltered (But Spoiler Free) Status Updates While Reading Blackhearts

Saturday, February 20, 2016


Paper Bindings - Unfiltered (But Spoiler Free) Status Updates While Reading Blackhearts - Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman

TITLE: Blackhearts
AUTHOR: Nicole Castroman
RELEASE DATE: February 9th 2016
PUBLISHER: Simon Pulse
add to goodreads

“Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything.

Edward "Teach" Drummond, son of one of Bristol's richest merchants, has just returned from a year-long journey on the high seas to find his life in shambles. Betrothed to a girl he doesn’t love and sick of the high society he was born into, Teach dreams only of returning to the vast ocean he’d begun to call home. There's just one problem: convincing his father to let him leave and never come back.

Following her parents' deaths, Anne Barrett is left penniless and soon to be homeless. Though she’s barely worked a day in her life, Anne is forced to take a job as a maid in the home of Master Drummond. Lonely days stretch into weeks, and Anne longs for escape. How will she ever realize her dream of sailing to Curaçao—where her mother was born—when she's stuck in England?

From the moment Teach and Anne meet, they set the world ablaze. Drawn to each other, they’re trapped by society and their own circumstances. Faced with an impossible choice, they must decide to chase their dreams and go, or follow their hearts and stay.”




Without a doubt Blackhearts was my most anticipated book of 2016.

Why?

Partly because I'm in a pirate phase. (Clean, fictional swoonworthy pirates, of course.) Mainly though, for whatever reason, I just connected with this book when I first heard about it and have been eagerly awaiting it's arrival since.

Read between the lines: So I could freak out like Gollum with his ring. My Precioussssss..

Status Updates


  • Page 0/369: Squee! *happy dances* My most anticipated book, here I come!
  • Page 4/369: Anne's got spunk. I think I'm going to like her a lot.
  • Page 9/369: Not at all how I expected their first meeting to go. Oh, boy, this is going to be interesting.
  • Page 26/369: Teach/Edward is not at all the man I was anticipating. I have no idea how I feel about this, but it makes things a bit more unpredictable.
  • Page 63/369: Once these two get on the same page, I fully expect some massive fireworks. Or they'll burn the world down. One or the other.
  • Page 76-77/369: I *insert bad word* strongly dislike Miss Patience. Please tell me Karma is at work...
  • Page 99/369: I like this a lot: "My father always told me, the enemy is dangerous who wears the mask of a friend." (Anne)
  • Page 114/369: Oh Anne...
  • Page 124/369: I think I love me a Pre-Pirate Rogue.
  • Page 143/369: I ship! I ship!: "You're mad." (Anne) / "Not yet. But I'm getting there." (Teach)
  • Page 197/369: Now there's a lesson for you: "Life had been hard, but quitting had meant death."
  • Page 216/369: What's that saying about shoes and dropping? Dun...dun...dun...
  • Page 228/369: Yo ho. Yo ho. This ship is out to sea. Yo ho. Yo ho. A pirate's life for me.
  • Page 242/369: *swoons*: "I believe if you truly love someone then the most important thing should be their happiness, not yours." (Teach)
  • Page 245/369: *taking a reading pause because I am unable to contain the expression of glee that's overtaken my face right now.*
  • Page 289/369: Now I know the other shoe is dropping soon...
  • Page 315/369: It's that time in a book....the climatic BAD stuff is coming now, isn't it? Can my poor feelings handle it?
  • Page 326/369: -oh- *nervous now*
  • Page 343/369: My heart....
  • Page 369/369: HOW DARE YOU END, BOOK! Who gave you permission for such a crime?
  • For Next Hour: *Flails about. Spreads her love of Blackhearts all over twitter. Takes photos with her preciousssss for future instagram photos. Is insanely pleased with self. Begs book gods for a sequel.*
  • Hours Later: *Still stuck in post good book hangover. Gives up all plans of further reading and basks in the glow of Blackhearts.*

If you are curious, here is my Goodreads updates

Paper Bindings - Unfiltered (But Spoiler Free) Status Updates While Reading Blackhearts - Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman


Overall


If you like historical YA books with excellent characters and wonderful writing, then read this book. I really cannot recommend it enough. Plus swoonworthy pirates and pre-pirates make wonderful book boyfriends. The romance was slow-burn and definitely worth every second of watching them fall for one another.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't hate or love this book, but I was a tad disappointed that it wasn't more a pirate story :( That's what I thought when I went in.


    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that. I knew it was in his prepirate days so I thought it'd be fun to see what made (even if only fictional) him turn to pirating. But if you were expecting to sail on the ocean, sinking ships, etc. I can understand feeling a bit mislead.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. haha these are great status updates! I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a fun idea. Might have to do this more often in the future.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Five stars?? This book already appeals to me! :P
    But no, honestly, those status updates are amazing, you can really see how much you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to read it and love it as well!

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...