All the good men are fictional (Top Ten Tuesday)

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Paper Bindings | All the good men are fictional (Top Ten Tuesday)
A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's theme is the Top Ten : Fictional Crushes

In honor of the upcoming holiday, this weeks Top Ten Tuesday was a Valentine's day freebie. As I remain tragically single, I chose to treat this more like a Single Person Awareness Day themed freebie. So, without further ado, I give you: My Fictional Crushes (in no particular order).


01. Peeta Mellark - Do I need to explain this one? The boy with the bread. I (just like Katniss) could live a thousand lifetimes and never deserve him. I'd be happy to have him for myself, PTSD and all. I'm not a fan of Josh Hutchinson though, so I go with my mental book version and not the film Peeta. Book boyfriend Peeta FTW! I'd start listing all of  his good attributes, but this list is going to be long enough as it is. Suffice it so say that he is the nice guy, and I love a nice guy.

02. The Tenth Doctor - Is this, at least in part, because David Tennant is wonderful? Yes. Obviously. Also, the Doctor is awesome (brilliant! exciting!) regardless of regeneration. But I particularly like this, quirky, geeky, vaguely manic version of the Doctor. He's really the only crush-worthy version of the Doctor in my opinion. Except maybe Eight, who is such an adorable idiot savant in his novelizations. And a gentleman. And played by Paul McGann that one time. So, actually the 8th and 10th Doctors.

03. Captain Wentworth- One of Austen's less talked about books, Persuasion, has one of it's most lovable lead men. He's quiet, gentle, and sensitive. He never gives up on Anne and puts himself out there not just once, but twice, risking his heart. He doesn't care about what other people think, only about the opinions of the people he cares about. Plus, his friends are awesome.  Like many of the other characters on this list he is loyal and loving. I guess it's the Hufflepuff in me, but I dig that in a guy. I kind of have a type.

04. Mr. Darcy - This is another character who I probably don't need to explain to much. It's a truth universally acknowledged that Mr. Darcy is a dreamboat. I will say that I don't usually go for the broody type, so Darcy is a bit of an outlier in my case. He does however tick my dorky, socially awkward, and loyal boxes, so it works. He feels things very deeply, which is extremely appealing to me. Not to mention that I love the 1994 P&P so much that I will always imagine Darcy as Colin Firth. I have lost track of how many times I have watched that mini-series, but it's a big number. I've read the book multiple times too. I can't get enough P&P.

05. Peter Parker - One of my earliest fictional crushes (a.k.a. comic-book boyfriend) was Peter Parker. A.k.a. Spider-man. He's smart, he's funny, he's cute, he's artistic, he's kind, he's a hero... What's not to like? Other than the super-villains trying to kill him (and by extension his girlfriend), I mean. Andrew Garfield eventually being cast as Peter didn't hurt either, but this crush was preexisting. I've always liked my men sweet and nerdy. And in my youth, apparently animated...

06. Dr. Daniel Jackson - I love Stargate SG-1 (both the movie and the TV
show). And my favorite character is Daniel Jackson. Again I'm picking the genius with few social skills but a romantic soul and a thirst for adventure. I can't help it, like I said: I have a type. Daniel is such a sweetheart. His main fault is that he is self-sacrificing to a ridiculous degree- hence his tendency to die. Which, admittedly would put quite a damper on any relationship. On the aesthetic side, neither Micheal Shanks nor James Spader are exactly hard on the eyes.

07. Barry Allen - The fastest man alive. Also the sweetest, the most adorakable, and the most precious. I am referring to the CW Barry Allen here, as I've only seen the show and read the tie in comics. The DC comics Barry, according to my brother, is a bit of a different character. CW Barry is apparently a mix of pre-52 Barry Allen and Wally West. However they created him... I love it. Barry Allen is my jam. He's practically perfect in his mixture of sensitivity, humor, and bravado. He follows the mold of the rest of my type: intelligent, kind, loyal, and according to his main love interest "a rare species of adorable nerd". I can ship him with basically anyone, because he is able to connect with basically everyone. He's not afraid to cry or to love. His tragic past and low self-esteem don't stop him from always trying and wanting to believe in people. I can't think of many things more attractive than that. Oh, and he's played by Grant Gustin.

08. Horatio Hornblower -The one crush on the list that I would not actually date if he was real. He's almost everything I love in a guy: smart, a huge dork, socially awkward, brave, and in some cases played by Ioan Gruffudd. He does however lack loyalty. Just a bit. He's loyal to King and Country. But not so much to his first wife. I mean, he married her because she was kind to him when no one else was and she obviously loved him, so he wanted to do right by her. But he only ever pretended to love her, so romantic gestures aside, not the best relationship. To be fair, his pretending to love her (and his guilt about it) had him treating her ten times as well as most husbands treated their wives (much to the jealousy of all the surrounding women) and she never felt anything but cherished. He did cheat though. And heroic sailor or not, I'd have to kill him. So: deal breaker.

09. Levi Stewart  -Fangirl is one of my favorite novels and one of the great things about it is Cath's boyfriend Levi. He's all around pretty awesome. He sets himself apart from the other crushes on this list because he's actually an extrovert and the outdoorsy type.  That just means he can smooth over my own weirdness and coax me into leaving the house, so those should probably count as pluses. He's very supportive too and he takes care of the people who are important to him. I also kind of love that he enjoys being read to, even if it stems from his trouble retaining information from text. He enjoys listening to Cath read him fanfiction, which seems like a recipe for success for any relationship.

10. Dick Grayson -Dick is my ultimate fictional crush. My original fictional boyfriend. Is it weird that my very first crush was on someone who doesn't actually exist? I had a crush on him when I was tiny and he was Robin. And when I was older and he was Nightwing. And still now that he is Agent 37. It's not that surprising really, he's pretty much explicitly written as the most attractive man in the DC universe. Bat-Girl actually calls him "Boy Toy Wonder" in one issue. And Midnighter recognizes him purely based on how his bottom looks in a pair of pants ("You can [hide your face] but I'd know that ass anywhere, Grayson"). There was even an issue where he takes off his mask and says hello to an evil cult member chasing him on her motorcycle, at which point she stares into his eyes... and literally falls off of her motorcycle. Not to mention that he is one of the few characters drawn to appeal to the female gaze.  Recently I've fan-cast him in my head as younger Matt Bomber, if that helps ;) And on top of all that, he's smart, charming, sassy, loyal, kind, and good with children. So, look at Mr. Perfect over here...



Well, I hope you enjoyed my list of handsome, wonderful, swoon-worthy men. Who are unfortunately fictional and beyond our reach.

What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Stephanie

Stephanie is a tutor who loves helping people improve and excel. She loves a good story, so is obsessed with books, films, TV, and comics. A regular geek with a heart of gold ;)

30 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Peeta, but unlike you, I do like Josh :) But, I get what you mean. Either way, Peeta is just wonderful and amazing & I would welcome him into my arms! :P

    Novel Ink's TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeta is so wonderful! I never got people who chose Gale, he was nice and all, but so not my type, lol.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ten ten ten! Or David. Or Ten. Or both. Because if David wasn't in it, I wouldn't have watched Jessica Jones. But Ten is by far the more enjoyable of Doctors or the recent revival. They all have their unique personalities, but The Amy Pond Show ft. The Eleventh Doctor rubbed me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great to run into another 10 fan! I would have watched Jessica Jones anyway, but it turned out that David was the only good thing in it. Someone as badass as Jessica shouldn't have Silly Heroine Syndrome. Especially if she's going to be such an unrelenting a**hole to everyone, lol.

      I liked Eleven well enough, he had some good speeches and he and River were cute. But, yeah, Amy I can totally see disliking. She had her moments, but she was a bit much. It's sort of the same with Clara. So I agree, Ten(nant) all the way!

      Thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  3. haha what a fun post! And ohhh yeah... David Tennant! Have you seen The Decoy Bride? If not, you need to. :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Decoy Bride yet, but it's on my Netflix queue!

      Thanks for taking the time to check out my list this week :)

      Delete
  4. Great topic! I so so so agree re: Darcy, Peeta and Wentworth. SWOON!!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austen has a real knack for writing swoon-worthy heroes *sighs dreamily*

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. all I have to say is: BARRY ALLEN!!!!! especially if grant gustin is playing him :) i adore that man. Also, Wentworth and Darcy of course! my other favorite Austen hero is Mr. Knightley :) love this topic, thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry Allen (as played by Grant Gustin) is ruining my life. Have you seen this week's episode? I thought he couldn't get any cuter; and boom: glasses and bowtie. Those devious bastards at CW are killing me with this show.

      Austen has some of the best leading men of all time. I would be over the moon with any of them :)

      Thanks for commenting! I'm always glad to fangirl over Barry Allen

      Delete
  6. Peeta!!!! OMG yes! He's definitely swoon worthy. Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeta is everything a woman could want: brave, sweet, and able to bake delicious cakes.

      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  7. Hahah, because reasons, I love it! Great list!!

    Thanks for stopping by JUBB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many distracting reasons ;)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. I love Levi too, he's such a cutie! David Tennant is amazing, but for some reason I haven't watched Doctor Who yet. One day...
    Thanks for visiting Addlepates and Book Nerds! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are in for a treat when you get around to it. Doctor Who is amazing, especially with Tennant. I wouldn't recommend skipping the 9th Doctor though, he's great too and sort of lays the groundwork for 10.

      Anyhoo, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Aww, Peeta Mellark, he's my favorite! Great list :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the tenth doctor <3 How I wish he would come back!

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 is the greatest. I loved seeing him again the 50th anniversary special, so maybe he'll do something like that again? Even if not, there are always the audioplays...

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  11. I only know like four of the book guys here - but THEY ARE AMAZING PICKS.
    Especially Peter Parker - I wouldnt have thought of him at first thought, but he is definitely perfect for this <3
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm curious now as to which 4 you know from their books. Most of them originate from books (or comic books), well, all of them, other than 10 and Dr. Jackson. Adaptations for the win!

      Peter is so fun, I love his quips :)

      Delete
  12. I might have to find and watch Horatio Hornblower, it sound so good!
    Thanks for stopping at JUBB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely track down the mini-series! Or read the books! The mini-series is good, but I prefer the books. There are 11 of those though, so it's a bit of an undertaking, lol. The show changes the story-line quite a bit, I don't think he cheats, so he's even more perfect in that. There's also a movie with Gregory Peck, but I haven't seen that, so I can't vouch for it's quality.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  13. The 10th doctor! The 10th doctor! The 10th doctor. AHHHHH. He is my fave and the love of my life, without a doubt. And of course, Mr. Darcy. I personally prefer Mr. Tilney to Mr. Darcy (from Austen's NORTHANGER ABBEY), but of course Mr. Darcy has a piece of my heart as well.

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Tilney is definitely a keeper. Being able to deal with Catherine means he'd probably be really forgiving of any personality quirks. And you'd get an awesome sister-in-law as part of the package!

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  14. I love Peeta too! I also love the tenth doctor, but that may be more to do with my crush on David Tennant, I'm not sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Tennant is fantastic, lol. So I see nothing wrong with that :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...