You Say Words On A Paper, I Say Epic Fantasy Heist - Six of Crows (Review)

Friday, January 8, 2016


Paper Bindings - Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - 4.5/5 stars

TITLE: Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1)
AUTHOR: Author
RELEASE DATE: Leigh Bardugo
PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and Company - Macmillan
add to goodreads

“Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first. ”


and 1/2


RELATED : Shadow and Bone // Ruin and Rising // Finishing Series Discussion 



For a while now, I've been wanting to try something new with my reviews. Enter Six of Crows. Six of Crows. Six crew members. Six questions.


After your massive disappointment with Ruin and Rising, why did you pick up another book in this world?

I already owned it? 

Seriously, since it took me about a year and a half to pick up Ruin and Rising (because it was spoiled for me) you cannot be surprised that my inner book hoarder had already picked up this book.

"Better terrible truths than kind lies."


Six of Crows ended up with a 4.5 out of 5 rating, so you must have really enjoyed this book, right?


'Enjoyed it' is understating my love for this book a bit. Six of Crows might be my favorite Leigh Bardugo book of them all. 

No lying. 

Or maybe there is some lying involved as Kaz was a very bad influence on me. After all, I now spend my free time casing joints, side eyeing marks, practicing my sleight of hand, and generally wondering 'what would Kaz do?' 

My life is now very exciting.

I mean, it is not really a sin if I am drawn to the books where the criminals/bad guys run amok, is it? There was just something about characters with moral shades of gray that not only made things really interesting, it made things real. And Leigh Bardugo really outdid herself creating this eclectic crew. 

"When everyone knows you're a monster, you needn't waste time doing every monstrous thing."

So the characters ran this book?

Ran this book. Ran the county. Heck, this crew could run the world if they wanted too. Because these six working in tandem was a very scary thing. And it made for a spectacular story.

Matthias: The moody brooder who aggravated me at times with his constant grumblings but eventually won me over.

Jesper: The comic relief with quite a few serious character flaws I wasn't expecting.

Wylan: The one I don't feel I got to know as well but I thought had hidden potential. 

Inej: The one who became my newest hero. How can you not admire the Wraith? 

Nina: The one who flat out annoyed me when we first me but somehow wormed her way into my good graces. 

Kaz: The one who made me realize my heart is on the dark side and it is not just there for the cookies.

"But the living asked more of you than the dead."

That's great and all, but was there any shipping feels? Did you swoon?

Six characters. Three completely different ships. And somehow I've climbed aboard each one of them. 

So yes, there was swooning. There was also dramatic sighing, stupid ecstatic grin face making, high pitched squealing, and quite a few verbal threats to bash two stubborn pairs of lips together until they got over their sexual tension turned animosity. 

But yeah, there was swooning. Not as much as I would have liked considering I'm a romantic at heart, but just the right blend for the story lines and the character's issues.

"Survival wasn't nearly as hard as he'd thought once he left decency behind."

Was the heist as epic as promised?

Is Kaz the Master of All Things?

I think the moment I decided I wanted to read this book was the moment I learned it was a fantasy book about a set of thieves attempting to pull off the greatest heist ever. 

And boy was it epic. Leigh Bardugo did a fantastic job tossing in clues, and building up the suspense. I had no trouble believing that Kaz was genius criminal mastermind. 

Once it got going, the story was like a runaway train. There was nowhere to go but with the momentum. There were some moments that were expected from a character growth standpoint, but a lot happened that I wasn't anticipating from the beginning. 

I wish the story had more chapters with Kaz's point of view though. I understand why we didn't, since he knew more than the others and we had to be kept in the dark. But that doesn't stop me from hoping book two has more of his points of view.

"We are all someone's monster, Nina."

'Once it got going...' So it took you a bit to get into the plot?

Me, not so much.

I was warned by several people that Six of Crows had a very slow start. And while, compared to the rest of the book, it wasn't as fast moving, it didn't take me long to get invested. 

"There was no part of him that was not broken, that had not healed wrong, and there was no part of him that was not stronger for having been broken."

Overall


You do not have to have read The Grisha series to pick of Six of Crows. Anyone can fall in love with these six misfits.

Six was a bit darker than I was expecting, there was no doubt Kaz would disembowel you if it suited his purposes. But I think that was part of the book's charm. The characters were wonderful and real, the story was epic and badass, and I think the combination was enjoyable for any fantasy fan.

Don't wait any longer to pick up Six of Crows, it was a highly enjoyable book.

4 comments:

  1. I love this conversational review style, and I love the quotes you included. I have never read anything by Leigh Bardugo, but I've seen so many wonderful things about this one that I've been wanting to read it, and your review made me want to read it even more. I'm excited to meet Kaz. I've always been a sucker for the dark side ;) Awesome review!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *internally* Someone likes the style! Flailing about now.
      *externally* Is all calm and composed. XD

      Thank you. I've been wanting to try something new for a while, I'm getting burnt out on just paragraph reviews. If you haven't read anything by her and are a sucker for the dark side too, then this is definitely the series to try. Kaz is wonderfully bad and creepy and scary and lovable all at the same time. Hope you enjoy the book if/when you get to read it.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great review and fun format! I loved this book, as well. I think I was drawn to it because the characters are not strictly good or bad. I really liked Kaz, but some of what he did was horrific! I am really looking forward to the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, someone else likes the format. I definitely think I am going to use this one again. I really love that the characters are not good nor evil, because I think very few people in real life are one thing or the other. I love the morally gray characters the most because in that regard they are real. Kaz was wonderfully bad, but in the good writing sort of way. I'm very curious as to what levels he will sink to in book two.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...