Five Thoughts About Nightfall I Have To Share With You (Review)

Thursday, January 14, 2016


Paper Bindings - Review of Nightfall by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski - 3/5 stars

TITLE: Nightfall
AUTHOR: Jake Halpern, Peter Kujawinski
RELEASE DATE: September 22nd, 2015
PUBLISHER: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers - Penguin
add to goodreads

“On Marin’s island, sunrise doesn’t come every twenty-four hours—it comes every twenty-eight years. Now the sun is just a sliver of light on the horizon. The weather is turning cold and the shadows are growing long.

Because sunset triggers the tide to roll out hundreds of miles, the islanders are frantically preparing to sail south, where they will wait out the long Night.

Marin and her twin brother, Kana, help their anxious parents ready the house for departure. Locks must be taken off doors. Furniture must be arranged. Tables must be set. The rituals are puzzling—bizarre, even—but none of the adults in town will discuss why it has to be done this way.

Just as the ships are about to sail, a teenage boy goes missing—the twins’ friend Line. Marin and Kana are the only ones who know the truth about where Line’s gone, and the only way to rescue him is by doing it themselves. But Night is falling. Their island is changing.

And it may already be too late.”





I have a confession: I don't know how to rate or review this book.

On one hand, it was interesting.

But on the other, it was hard to keep my attention focused on it.

Paper Bindings - Review of Nightfall by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski - 3/5 stars

Two things I liked:

  • The Concept

While I do think the story fell flat, the idea behind a world with 14 years of day and 14 years of night was intriguing. I wanted to know the logistics. I wanted to see the results. 

  • The Night Creatures

I can't say much about them because of spoiler reasons, but they were creepy in a cool sort of way. Totally deadly. 

I really loved that we didn't met them for a bit a first. Add in minimal light and heroes who cannot see in the darkness, and it made things very suspenseful.


Paper Bindings - Review of Nightfall by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski - 3/5 stars

Three things that bugged me: 

  • Rotating Point Of View

I don't mind books with multiple point of views, especially in books like this one. But in Nightfall, we rotate point of views randomly throughout the chapter. Even including other characters, whom we met for like two seconds.

I really think this style hurt the book. One, it was annoying not always knowing whose head you are supposed to be in, and two, they all sounded alike. There was so little difference between the main trio, that I struggled to separate the three of them in my mind for the first part of this story.

  • The Characters

Kana was the only one of the three that I liked. His arc was at least interesting. It also helped that I didn't want to kick him like I did his sister or Line.

Marin annoyed me so much. Why did she have to do all the stupid things that made no sense (things even the boys argued against) just because it furthered the plot?

And Line? I didn't understand his purpose other than being a love interest and someone for Kana to fight with in this sort of awkward (but not a love) triangle.

  • Is This Book A Fantasy Or Dystopian?

I don't really know what I read.

I'm calling it a fantasy since we don't have 14 years of day/night, even if our world goes to hell for some reason. But the book didn't feel like a fantasy novel, it read like a dystopian one.

This disconnect bothered me so much that I found myself wondering useless things (how? why? where?) instead of getting into the plot.

Paper Bindings - Review of Nightfall by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski - 3/5 stars

Overall


Nightfall failed to wow me. After hearing that some people I know loved the book, even my own mother found it enjoyable, I was expecting a lot more out of it than what I got.

After much debate, it ended up with 3/5 stars, so I didn't hate the story. But at the same time, if there was anymore added to this world in the future, I wouldn't read it.


6 comments:

  1. The premise sounds so interesting! I can totally see why you had high hopes for it. It's a pity it didn't live up to your expectations though :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read it, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great review! This one sounds creepy, but that's too bad about the point of views. It's frustrating when it alternates too much and you can't differentiate between the characters.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the characters were a little more differentiated, then I think the POVs would have been that much stronger. In turn, that would have made the book more enjoyable. It did have the creepy element to it.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Hm...I'd never heard of this one before. I guess it sounds interesting enough but the premise itself doesn't have me knocking down doors to read it. And poorly done POV switches are one of my biggest pet peeves, so I'm not sure this is the book for me. Thanks for the review, though!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can put up with a lot, but POVs where I lose track of who is doing the talking/thinking, that's too much for me. Hope you find a book for you soon!

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...