The Latest Batch Of Mini Reviews

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Paper Bindings- Mini Reviews


There have been quite a few books that I've liked, or disliked, lately that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review. But I wanted to say something about the books.

So here is the latest batch of mini reviews:

* The Collins Case (Heartfelt Cases #1) by Julie C. Gilbert - 1/5 stars
* Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout - 5/5 stars
* The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen #0.3) by Jodi Meadows - 5/5






Author: Julie C. Gilbert
Release Date: October 31st, 2012
Publisher: Indie


I wanted to like this book, but I just could not get into it. I found it rather boring. The first several chapters are all the same thing, only happening to different people. And I don't think it ever really picked up from there. If the slow start wasn't enough to deter my interest, the book lost it completely with all the telling. It almost felt like someone was telling me about their day, and tried to make it interesting, but never showed me all the action that made see how interesting it really was. The combination just kept me from caring about the story or the characters.

RELATED: Ashlynn's Dreams






★★★★★
Author: Jennifer l. Armentrout
Release Date: July 28th 2015
Publisher: Harlequin Teen


I was very happy with how this series wrapped up, in fact it might be my favorite last book of a series that I read in 2015.

I was excited when the author announced that fans were going to get to decide who Layla ended up with. But also very worried. Was it going to be one of those we learn at the last page sort of things? But no, we got that part out of the way fairly early on which allowed for even more swoonworthy moments. And I was so please with this ship, I may have squealed out loud when I cheated and read the last page first.

I really like Layla, she was kick ass in this book. Layla learned a lot in the last two books and she didn't hesitate to do what needed to be done in this one.

RELATED : White Hot Kiss (The Darkest Elements #1) // Stone Cold Touch (The Darkest Elements #2) // Onyx (Lux #2) // Half Blood (Covenant #1)// Damion (Covenant #0.5) // Wait for You (Wait for You #1)




The Burning Hand by Jodi Meadows
★★★★★
Author: Jodi Meadows
Release Date: December 1st, 2015
Publisher: Harper Teen Impulse


This might just be my favorite novella ever, it is certainly my favorite of the Orphan Queen prequel novellas. Things happen, oh boy do they happen. I'm not entirely surprised by the turn of events this novella took. After all, there is only one more left before the story reaches where the first book took place. But there really wasn't a dull moment. I could easily imagine Tobiah on his character journey behaving the way he does. He's not quite who he is in book one, but for the first time, he's really close. Plus I had a "Nameless Girl" OTP ship/fangirl moment while ready. This story definitely put me in the mood to reread book one.

RELATED : The Hidden Prince (The Orphan Queen #0.1) | The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen #0.2) | The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen #0.4) | The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1) | The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen #2) | The Orphan Queen Launch Party | Mirror King Blog Tour - Top 10 Vigilantes | [With Brodi Ashton and Cynthia Hand: My Lady Jane]

2 comments:

  1. The Burning Hand looks amazing! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I have to read Orphan Queen first though... #bookstruggles Any chance that you could read it without reading Orphan Queen first?
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are billed as "prequel novellas." World setting wise, you could absolutely read them first. Plot wise, there is only one tiny, tiny thing that you might spoil yourself on but it is pretty much spelled out in the novella summaries and guess pretty early on in The Orphan Queen. So I think you'd be fine.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...