The Time I Let My Muse Off Her Leash And Gave Her A Pen - Girl Plus Pen (ARC Review)

Tuesday, January 26, 2016


Paper Bindigns - ARC Review - Girl Plus Pen: Doodle, Draw, Color, and Express Your Individual Style by Stephanie Corfee

TITLE: Girl Plus Pen: Doodle, Draw, Color, and Express Your Individual Style
AUTHOR: Stephanie Corfee
RELEASE DATE: February 1st, 2016
PUBLISHER: Capstone Young Readers
add to goodreads

“In this addition to the Craft It Yourself set, designer and artist Stephanie Corfee will inspire you to create one-of-a-kind doodle drawings that are fresh, fun, and express your unique sense of style. Doodle everything from simple swirls, swooshes, and scallops to intricate and detailed designs that you can give as gifts or hang on your wall. Work on lettering and word art, plus decorative doodles perfect for prettifying just about anything. Be inspired to use your doodling skills on everything from paper and pebbles to scarves and snapshots. Packed with step-by-step instructions, artistic prompts, and helpful tips, this book will help any artist's pen move and creativity flow important steps on the way to discovering your own unique, artistic voice. All you need to start is your creativity . . . plus a pen.”




I'm not as artistically inclined as I'd like to believe I am. 

I try, but there are millions of people out there that are better at drawing than I am. Still, when I received Girl Plus Pen in the mail, I was beyond excited to play with the book.

I really liked that the book's focus was all about doodling. Sure, some of the author/artist's doodles were better than some of my finished works are, but the over emphasis being on these quick, for fun drawings really kept the whole vibe of the book low pressure. 

Paper Bindings - ARC Review - Girl Plus Pen: Doodle, Draw, Color, and Express Your Individual Style by Stephanie Corfee
I'm really proud of this guy who started off as a small circle.


I could open a page, get in the zone, and let life's pressures pass me by while I was having fun. 

During my high school career, I was a professional doodler. (Seriously, you should have seen my notebooks. I kept my favorite designs and saved them in a sketchbook which I still have.) I was in a lot less challenging classes than I should have been in, so I got bored a lot.  And I doodled my classes away. 

Working on the exercises in Girl Plus Pen was a bit like coming home in that regard. It was all about what random designs and fun patterns I could come up with rather than what proportions and lifelike details I messed up on.


Paper Bindings - ARC Review - Girl Plus Pen: Doodle, Draw, Color, and Express Your Individual Style by Stephanie Corfee
I have no idea what I was doing! And the last edge bits aren't balanced at all either.

If I had a young child who was interested in for fun drawing, I'd certainly pick up a copy of this book for him/her.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like it would be fun for all ages, for anyone who loves drawing! It looks really cool, makes me think of those Wreck This Journal books, you know?
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely in the same vein as the Wreck This journals but I had an easier time drawing in the book than I did jumping on or ripping pages out of my Wreck This journal. There are just some bookish lines I cannot cross. lol.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. This is so cool!!! I can't draw worth a damn, but this looks really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a very good drawer either, but since it was more focused on quick sketches and random designs, there was less pressure to be perfect. Which helped keep that insecurity demon at bay.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could draw, it is one of the things I have wanted to do more than anything! This book might be a fun way to practice!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
    Enter my Ultimate Scavenger Hunt Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is. I mean it's not about the technical stuff more about the fun and design, which I think helps inspire you to tackle the technical stuff.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so fun and like it would make a really great gift. I honestly can't draw if my life depended on it. I wish I could though. I know some people who would have a lot of fun with something like this though.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely the kind of book that would make a great gift. I wish I could draw better but can't devote enough time to repetition so I know it's hard for me to improve a lot.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...