Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Stacee From Adventures Of A Book Junkie

Friday, January 15, 2016

Paper Bindings | Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Stacee From Adventures Of A Book Junkie

I'm not going to lie to you, my favorite social media ever is Pinterest, but Instagram and Twitter are close seconds. I love taking photos and viewing photos, but when it comes to actual talent, I'm a bit hard on myself. I don't think I have any.

So I thought I'd start taking photos for bookstagram tags, even if just for fun, to improve my skills. Slowly I am starting to get better, but I am always on the lookout for tips and tricks from people whose talent I admire.

I went searching for 'how to' posts, only to discover that as popular some of these bookstagramers are, there are shockingly very little blog posts about them. No tips, no behind the scenes advice, and very few "check out these awesome photographers" posts exist out there.

Not one to back down, I sent out a call, and created my own.

Three super sweet ladies answered. Over the next few Fridays, I am going to toss a few questions at them and let them run amok on the blog.

Get ready to be inspired.



Paper Bindings - Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Stacee From Adventures Of A Book Junkie


My first guest is Stacee from Adventures Of A Book JunkieStacee is a bibliophile, Slytherin, fangirl, and blogger. She collects book boyfriends, reads the last page first, & swears way too much. Plus she is just an around wonderful person to talk to.

Instagram | Twitter

* How did you get into bookstagram photography?


I've always been a reader, so it sort of made sense to start taking photos of what I was reading. As I started taking more book photos, I started trying to make them look a bit prettier. Then I participated in a few monthly photo challenges and seeing what other people were doing in their photos make me want to try a little harder. Now my account has become strictly a bookstagram photo account and I'm really enjoying figuring out what I'm doing.

* What do you think makes a good photograph? A great one?


For my photos, I like more of the minimalist look, but I do love the accounts that have a lot of props and lights and goodies. There are a lot of amazing photographers out there. I love that there's an entire group of us who are showcasing our collections, our favorite books, our current reads, our latest book hauls, and our overall love for books. As for what makes a good photo? I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

A photo posted by stacee (@book_junkee) on


* Where do your bookstagram ideas come from?


I've done a few of the monthly book photo challenges and those are a lot of fun. Sometimes it's just me standing in front of my bookshelf looking at the chaos. Sometimes it's what I'm reading or what I just finished or what I got in the mail. There's no rhyme or reason to how I pick what I take a photo of.

* How do you set up a photo shoot to get great lighting?


I live in an apartment and take all of my photos on my balcony. I try to take them around the same time of the day, so the lighting is the same. If you look through my feed, you'll see that some of the photos have a golden hue and some have a blue hue to them and it's all due to where the sun is located. I've recently been working out the kinks on getting them all to match because it drives me crazy. I've seen some people who use professional lighting or light boxes, but I haven't gotten to that point yet. Mostly because I don't have room for it right now. :D

* Aside from a watermark label, how often do you cheat and use the computer to edit your images?


I don't use a computer at all, I take all of my photos with my iPhone. I use Instagram to stage the shot and the Photofy app for the filter. Sometimes I will brighten the background or saturate the color a bit more, but that's it. After I have the photo taken, the entire editing process takes less than 60 seconds.

* What’s your favorite photograph that you’ve taken? Why?


Paper Bindings - Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Stacee From Adventures Of A Book Junkie Paper Bindings - Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Stacee From Adventures Of A Book JunkiePaper Bindings - Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Stacee From Adventures Of A Book Junkie

There are three photos that I really love. I can't give a reason more than the fact that they were all set up sort of on accident and I'm just thrilled with the way they look.

* Any other tips you’d care to share?


I'm a firm believer in doing what you love. If you like taking book photos, do it because you love it. Not for followers, not to get featured, not because you want free books. If you do it for those reasons, you'll take the fun out of it. Find your theme, your unique view, your passion, and share that with the world.

* Any other bookstagramers we should be following?


Definitely Evie Seo {@eviebookish} and Ursula Uriarte {@ursula_uriarte}


Paper Bindings - Instagram - A Q&A Session With Bookstagramers - Crini From All About Books


Don't miss my Q&A session with Brittany from The Book Addicts Guide (Friday, January 22nd, 2016) and Crini from All About Books (Friday, January 29th, 2016.)



Feeling inspired? Feeling better about your own work? I hope so, now get out there and take some bookish photos. If you have an bookish Instagram account, leave your link in the comments below, we'd love to take a look.



RELATED: Instagram: Then and Now


7 comments:

  1. So, I recently started an Instagram account for my blog (I started it several months ago but have been a little more serious about it since Christmas). Legit question though: Do you agree with using a white poster board (or bed sheet) as a background for all pictures? I mean, I get that a blank background makes you focus on the photo subject, but doesn't it seem redundant if dozens (or even hundreds) of accounts set up pictures the same way (white background, white Christmas lights, etc.)? I'm not knocking anyone down who does this; I'm legitimately hoping for a discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should use whatever background you like. Lots of accounts vary their backgrounds. I've seen some accounts where the subject matter is totally different in each photo, but the same filter was used, so it creates the similarity. Some feeds are all over the place.

      I love the wooden floor type of background, but I don't have something like it. I chose a white background because I wanted a clean, uniform look and it was something on hand.

      Do you *you* like and what *you* think looks good.

      :)

      Delete
    2. I agree. Do what you like. I like the idea of having some sort of consistency across all you photos (or at least your staged photos) but I don't think it has to be a pure white background. Some of my favorite have an ever changing view of bookshelves.

      Personally, some of my favorite images I've taken aren't the ones with white background. But I'm still experimenting with my style, so who know what I'll like for me in a few months.

      Hope you find your style. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for having me!! I can't wait to see what I can learn from the other posts!!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and thanks for the tips! I love the Six of Crows picture! I just started an instagram for my blog last week actually so all of this advice is really helpful! :)

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've seen your instagram page. *runs off to look* Hope you have a lot of fun taking pictures.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...