The Time I Read A Book And Immediately Wished I Hadn't Read It So I Could Immediately Read It Again For The First Time | Winter | Review

Saturday, December 26, 2015


Paper Bindings - Winter by Marissa Meyer - 5/5 Stars - Young Adult - Science Fiction - Retelling

TITLE: Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4)
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
RELEASE DATE: November 10th, 2015
PUBLISHER: Feiwel & Friends - Macmillan
add to goodreads

“Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?”




RELATED: The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles #1.5) | Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) | Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) | Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles Novellas)

I have a confession. 

I wasn't planning on reading this book any time in this decade. (That's my fear of series-enders talking.) I was quite content to sit on my book like the nice chicken that I am. Then I read Fairest, and for the first time since I put down Cress, my whole world became centered around The Lunar Chronicles. Which meant there was no way I could pretend Winter didn't exist for a while.

Winter was one of the greatest books I have read all 2015.

I don't know how I thought I could live without it. This book deserves every single pixel on my five-star rating. I read all 800+ pages in less than 24 hours, counting about 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours at work. So I read Winter in about 8 hours. To put this further in perspective: the last nearly 1000-page book I read took me nearly a month to finish it. 

What I adored about this book:

"'I need him as much as he needs me. But that doesn't make it love.' (Scarlet) 'Actually, dear friend, I suspect that is precisely what makes it love.' (Winter)"
  • All my ships. 

Going into book four with two and a half ships already (sorry Kai, I loved you sometimes and wanted to kick you other times- though you were wonderful by the end of Winter) and the potential to gain yet another one, made me a very nervous reader. 

Marissa Meyer is a very talented author. She wrote a wonderful series full of turmoil and heartache. Because the stories were very real, and we were marching off to war, there were no guarantees that all my couples would end up with their happy ever afters. 

And how she tormented her characters. Between external forces, the consequences of previous actions catching up with them, and their own internal struggles, I was fully invested in their continued survival. I laughed, I cried, I screamed and shrieked, and more than once, I imagined myself mashing Cress and Thorne's lips together because neither could communicate their true feelings with the other.
"Pretend you belong here and everyone else will believe it."
  • The Revolution.

I admit it, I was worried. During the three previous books, Cinder was well on her way to becoming a badass, and a promising future queen. I had no doubt she could take on Levana, I only questioned the logistics of all this occurring in one book.

Fairest definitely helped set the stage. We learned a lot about Levana, the moon, and the people and the crown that Cinder was fighting for. By time the ragtag crew reached the moon, I felt better prepared. 

And then I was easily swept away by the plot. 

For three books (four, if you count the novella) we collected characters, each with their different skill sets and connections. The whole crew was there, not because they "had to be" because they were the main characters, but because they each contributed in more than one way to the revolution. It was easy to see how we needed each one of them in this fight, and that if you removed just one of them, Cinder would never have gotten to where she was.

What could have been better:

"Safety first, Scarlet-friend. We are fragile things."
  • The book could have been kinder to my heart. 
I mean, did it really need to rip it out and roll all over it? Okay, not really a complaint about the quality of the book, but it was a bully and made me cry.


"She was freezing from the inside out."
  • Winter

Don't get me wrong, I adored her. Her slipping mental condition with the vicarious position her relationship with Levana put her in, had me just about ready to take on anyone who so much as smirked at her.

But I don't think she was as grand as the other leading ladies. Maybe it was because we didn't know her as long as or maybe it was the childlike innocence she radiated, but something about her kept her from reaching the same level as the other three. Which is completely strange, because I think connected with her more than just about anyone aside from Cress.


Overall

If you haven't read The Lunar Chronicles yet, then you need to immediately fix this problem. I will be forever grateful to the day I saw a five-chapter sampler available about a certain cyborg mechanic while I was searching for free ebooks.

If you haven't read Winter but have read the others in this series, then I really hope you get to this book soon. It was worth the wait.

Marissa Meyer truly saved the best for last. 

"I love him like I love my own platelet-manufacturing plant."



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...