This is Where it Ends (ARC review)

Monday, December 28, 2015


this is where it ends by marieke nijkamp

TITLE: This is Where it Ends
AUTHOR: Marieke Nijkamp
RELEASE DATE: January 5, 2016
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks
10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.




Where to start. This is Where it Ends dives deep into the hot button, horrendous subject of school shootings. It's hard to say that I enjoyed the book - given the subject matter - but it was very well written and did not try and sugarcoat the events which I appreciated. The book covers the 54 minutes - just 54 minutes - of a school shooting.


I think I would have given it more stars if not for the various point of views. Nijkamp chose to not break up POVs by chapters but by cramming in four POVs (Claire, Tomάs, Autumn, and Sylv) - often changing views every paragraph. As a result, I had a hard time connecting fully to any character and since most of the characters were related to each other in some way I also had a hard time keeping connections straight. I almost wished there was a character tree in the beginning or something of that nature. The POVs also became a little repetitive, hearing only a slightly different version at times. I will say that changing the POVs did create a fair amount of suspense. I also didn't like the tweets and the blog posts weaved throughout the book. I kept trying to figure out who these people were and where they were in the story which I thought was distracting. There were enough characters to try and figure out, I didn't need any more. That being said, I usually hate tweets, AIMs, texts, etc in books, I find them unnecessary.


I did enjoy that the characters in the book were diverse. And I did think it was a good choice to add the characters of Autumn and Claire in relation to the shooter's storyline. I can't say anymore, so I don't give it away. I also liked that ultimately what the book was about, at least to me, was choice. What would you do in this situation?


"We're more than our mistakes. We're more than what people expect of us. I have to believe that... You can do far more than you ever imagined."

"At least history suits me. You already know if those stories'll end happily."


Overall


Overall, This is Where it Ends is a good debut novel. It's a very fast read and worth checking out.
author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you reviewed this because it's on my TBR list even though I heard really mixed reactions. Thank you for being honest too when it came to the alternating POVs, especially in one chapter. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks, yes this book has been very divisive - let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I felt just about the same way. It was a really well written and diverse book that definitely didn't sugarcoat anything. I wasn't a fan of so many alternating povs though. Like you said, it felt like too much was crammed into a chapter and I felt like I couldn't connect with any of the characters all that well either.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Agreed, I wanted to care more about what happened to the characters because of the characters and just because of the situation. Also, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...