I Gave Them A Shot - DNF Finish Part Four And Recap (The Eh Files)

Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Eh Files - Did Not Finish (DNF) Edition - Paper Bindings

For all those books rated from DNF to, but not including, three stars, I present to you The 'Eh' Files. At the end of each month I'll be listing all those books that make this category. Since I am aware that some books that are not my cup of tea, but may be something other readers enjoy, I'll include a couple of sentences explaining my rating choice.

The DNF Edition

I have decided this past year that I have way to many books I want to read to force myself to finish books I am not into. It has been a year of cleaning out my ereaders and taking an ax to my TBR. (Check out Part OnePart Two / Part Three)


These books, did not make the cut.

* No new books to add! What a great quarter of reading. 


Yearly DNF Recap

Not all of the books I put down were ebooks, but a large number of them were ebooks. Not surprising since I have been working on cleaning out my three ereaders. (nook/kindle/ipod) Some of them I don't even know why I wanted to read anymore, except I got them for free. But I wasn't ready to just delete them without a try as I have found some great indie authors by picking up their free ebooks in the past.

Something about allowing myself to DNF a book was freeing. I had more time to devote to books I enjoyed and I eliminated the anxiety associated with being "forced" to do something I didn't want to do.

In 2015, I did not finish 33 books. 


What about you guys? Are there any books you had to put down recently?

2 comments:

  1. This is so smart of you! Our time is valuable and we need to follow your wisdom and not waste time on books that don't click with us! I'm curious about where in a book do you decide that your going to DNF? Do you know quickly or do you try to keep reading and hope it gets better? That is something I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends. I've finished books I knew I was going to dislike simply because I was curious about one plot thing (tiny or large) and had to know. (It really bothers me when I want an answer but never get it.) Other times I have stopped after only a few pages. Usually I know within the first 50% if I'm going to finish it or not. But there have been times where a book has hit a trigger subject after that mark and I have refused to keep going.

      Mostly, I put books down if the writing bothers me (the slang, diction, view point of the character, mispellings, too much telling, to slow, etc.) or if the characters bother me (boring, dull, annoying, too stupid to live.) So I can generally tell early on if that is the case.

      I used to never put down a book unless it hit one of my won't read triggers. But I found when I forced myself to read, I didn't want to read anything at all. So not only was I forcing myself to read a book that wasn't for me, I then deprived myself of books that are because I pushed myself away from other books.

      I think the "it could get better" line of thinking gets us all. I've done that myself a time or two recently. You always want to say "it can't" but there are plenty of books that do turn into favorites after a rocky start.

      Hope you can find your balance. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...