I Finished A Book Club Book Ahead Of The Curb But Did I Waste My Time - Sister's Fate (review)

Monday, November 9, 2015


Sister's Fate by Jessica Spotswood

TITLE: Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #3)
AUTHOR: Jessica Spotswood
RELEASE DATE: August 14th 2014
PUBLISHER: Putnam Juvenile - Penguin
add to goodreads

“A fever ravages New London, but with the Brotherhood sending suspected witches straight to the gallows, the Sisters are powerless against the disease. They can’t help without revealing their powers—as Cate learns when a potent display of magic turns her into the most wanted witch in all of New England.

To make matters worse, Cate has been erased from the memory of her beloved Finn. While she’s torn between protecting him from further attacks and encouraging him to fall for her all over again, she’s certain she can never forgive Maura’s betrayal. And now that Tess’s visions have taken a deadly turn, the prophecy that one Cahill sister will murder another looms ever closer to its fulfillment.”





If you haven't read the first two books.....


end of book two

s
p
o
i
l
e
r


b
e
l
o
w


I was only half sold on the first two books, and only continued the series because my book club read these books. 

I really didn't like this book at all. 

The entire book can be summed up in just three things:

  1. Maura's a bitch. Cate hates Maura. Maura's jealous of Cate. Cate's a bitch.
  2. Cate's poor, poor beloved Finn...blah blah blah....he doesn't remember their love.
  3. Who are all these people? Seriously, did we meet them in the first two books or are they practically all members of the escaped asylum posse?

I wanted to love this book, or at least enjoy it. With the way the previous book ended, I thought I would get that.

But I spent the entire novel annoyed with Cate.


She was a horrible sister and treated both of them poorly. I can understand her being mad at Maura, I wanted to slap the girl myself, but she was just harsh. She made a mental comment about how her exchanges with Maura left her feeling guilty. 

Well, they left me feeling pissed.

The two were hissing cats. Instead of talking to Maura, it was like she did everything she could possibly do to punish her for taking Finn's love for her. Then she would fight with Tess. Which only led to more problems. Frankly, I thought Cate made her bed and they should have buried her in it.

As if that wasn't bad enough, it felt like Cate spent the enitre novel feeling entitled because she thought she was the prophesied one.

This book was all about the lost love.


The only thing I will believe Cate cared about, aside from thinking she was "the chosen one," was she that wanted Finn.

Because that's all she thought about, and at a few inappropriate times too. I understand the pain of losing a loved one, and I could sympathize with her because he was there but not there with her. But there were more important things than him kissing her at stake. Lives were in danger and the future of the witches in question.

I thought Finn was better off without her, because he was a better and more interesting character without his love for her. He still managed to be likable and do the right thing without needing his love for her to be the reason he assisted her.

I had a hard time keeping all the side characters straight.


Maybe it was just me having issues with names and keeping track of everyone, but I thought we had a lot more side characters becoming the focus at times. Like everyone had to make their comments, and hassle/help Cate along the way.

Which sounds like it should have made the story more interesting by adding layers, except I really didn't get to know all of them so I really didn't care much about them or their plights.

Overall



Everyone else seems to love this book. Goodreads has it at 4.16 stars with over 2k ratings. So maybe it's just me.

The book wasn't bad, it still managed to entertain me, but I think it kill what little love I had for the characters. Except for one, and only one, I think the struggles and fights made me sympathized with one sister more than I thought I might have before I read this book. That was very well done.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes... I wasn't in love with the other books either, so this does not bode well, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. If you skip it, I will look the other way.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...