Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way

Friday, November 6, 2015

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
It is hard for me to believe that I have been a book blogger for three years.

Confession:

I still don't know what I am doing.
But...I know I've made mistakes.


To err is human, isn't that what they say? You live and learn?

Over the years I've certainly had my fair share of blunders. Some were easily brushed aside and no one ever noticed them. Others, well I'm still suffering the consequences from a few of them.


5 Blogging Mistakes I've Made

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
Blog tours have one purpose, getting the word out about upcoming releases.

When I first started, or rather when I first got real serious about blogging, I thought being a blogger meant that I had to join as many as I could. Like blog tours were the key to insta-success. (Oh boy, I am laughing so hard at my younger self right now.)

Obviously, that not the case or the purpose of them at all.

Yeah, if you happen to be one 1/10 bloggers reviewing the next IT BOOK you would get a lot of traffic coming your way. But signing up for tons of tours for books you aren't sure you'd want to read otherwise? Not going to keep them coming back.

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
Numbers are the bane of blogger existence. Stop counting, stop checking them all the time, stop obsessing with them.

Instead focus on making connections. One fellow blogger turn friend is going to be worth more to you than a thousand people who visit your site once, never interact with you, and then disappear.

Success isn't always measure by numbers, and friendship is priceless.


Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
I'll let you in on a secret. I am 100% an introvert. I don't like butting in to conversations, because one, that's just rude, and two, what if I say something stupid? Have everyone staring at me, or at my avi, wondering just who the hell this chick thinks she is?

No thank you, I'll just see myself right out this conversation, and hover in the corner.

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
Twitter was practically made for you to jump in on conversations. Don't worry about coming up with the next witty thing to say. Autocorrect is going to poke fun at you every now and then, so don't worry about it changing your words and making you seem stupid. No one really believes you are saying "Duck It."

Social interaction is the real key to blogging success.

Sure getting the cool ARCs or having the right giveaways might pull people in. But if you are the biggest b***h in all Bloggerdom, or if you are never around, no one is going to care about you anymore.

Every single blogger friendship and acquaintance I've made is because I started talking to other people without letting my quiet side hold me back.

Is it a coincidence that since I started interacting more, all my numbers went up, AND I've had more fun as a blogger than my first two years combined?


Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
Don't get me wrong, I am organized. I get twitchy when my spreadsheets aren't in order and my blogger calendar has too many posts-its clinging to it.

But as far as planning actual posts? Usually I just end up with a few quick notes that I jotted down when I thought up the idea. I have no long term goals, no buffer of posts, and no real system of blogging.

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
And the billions of times, sadly no joke, that I've told myself that I wish I had a buffer, were probably good indicators I should have taken a brief hiatus to work things out.

Because now that I have a few weeks buffer and some post scheduled in advance, I have more time to read. More books read=more reviews I can write. More books read=more books I can cross off my TBR.


Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
Would you want to/are you able to _______________?

*thinks* No. But I can't tell you no because that would be mean and then you might cry and then you might hate me and if you hate me you might bad mouth me and I'll never make it if people are bad mouthing me....

*says* Of course!

So I end up saying yes to 99% of things I shouldn't.

Then I feel pressured, so I things until the last possible minute and end up in a madrush-meltdown trying to get the task completed on time.

Because that's the thing. If I say I am going to do something, I will.

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way Too much?

Then simply accept that you cannot say yes to everything. If you have your doubts listen to them. If I was an author, I'd rather you tell me that the book is not for you from the start then to force yourself to read a genre that you dislike.


Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way I didn't understand the whole aspect of marketing your blog when I first started. To me it was all about books and fun. I don't even want to tell you how many years was it before I heard of the concept of "brand names."

My whole blog is screwed up. I got different handles on different social media sites, and my blog url doesn't match my blog name. (How I hate that last one.) At least my email is correct.

Paper Bindings - Five Blogging Mistakes I've Made And The Hard Lessons I've Learned Along The Way
Do more research before you start something next time. Come up with a brand name you love and then claim it on all possible platforms. It's yours, own it.

If I ever get a chance to move to my own domain and wordpress, you might see some changes here in that regard.


How many of you are guilty of the same mistakes? Anyone have any blogging sins you'd like to confess?

3 comments:

  1. Love this post. Very informative. My number one mistake is definitely number 4! I know, I know it's horrible. But I always feel like I'm going to say something wrong or butt in where I'm not supposed to. Haha
    Happy reading xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not alone. Sometimes I wonder how many of us are really introverts who just project a social persona online.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Love this post. Very informative. My number one mistake is definitely number 4! I know, I know it's horrible. But I always feel like I'm going to say something wrong or butt in where I'm not supposed to. Haha
    Happy reading xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...