What Would Dot Do? - State Of Grace (Review)

Sunday, October 18, 2015


State of Grace by Hilary Badger

TITLE: State of Grace
AUTHOR: Hilary Badger
RELEASE DATE: September 1st 2015
PUBLISHER: Switch Press
add to goodreads

“Ever since she was created, Wren has lived in an idyllic garden with her friends. Wren's deity Dot ensures the trees are laden with fruit and the water in the lagoon is crystal clear. Wren and her friends have everything they could possibly need right there, in Dot's Paradise.

If only Wren could stop the strange, disturbing visions she's started having. Do these visions make her less worthy of Dot's love? And what does Blaze, the most beautiful and mysterious of Dot's creations, know about what's going on in Wren's head?

Wren is desperate to feel Dot's love, just like everyone else. But that's harder than ever when a creation she's never met before arrives in the garden. He claims to be from outside and brings with him words and ideas that make Wren's brain hurt.

Gradually Wren and Blaze uncover the truth: they're part of a clinical trial of an ominous drug called Grace.

And as she deals with this disturbing knowledge, Wren confronts a horrific secret from her past. Now she must decide whether to return to the comforting delusion of faith or fight for the right to face the very ugly truth.”



*Received a copy for an honest review*


When State of Grace started, I was immediately thrown off.

I felt old. Like how Drew Barrymore's character must have felt in Never Been Kissed when she walked into that school and had to somehow fit in.

Wren and co were all very touchy-feely, let's all go skinny dipping in the lake and talk about who we are going to have sex with next. Everybody's tatas and willies were hanging out all over the place. All I could think of was, what the heck did I sign up for.

There was no way I was going to enjoy this book. 

But then something changed for Wren and she could no longer continue on like normal, and I started getting more into the story.

I liked this turn of events and the changes it brought to the story. Watching her life unravel was really fascinating because the more she learned about what was really going on, the more it made me think. 

By the end I can see the pluses to both groups. I understand why someone would choose to take that path, and why someone would rebel against it. But is either one the right path for all? Who are any of them to judge that? I think this is an interesting book to debate about morals and feelings in a book club setting. 

Part of what kept me from getting into the story for so long was the characters.


Everyone was all brainwashed cult happy that they kind of annoyed me. (Which I 100% think they were meant too because of the whole vibe the book was setting up.) But as Wren started changing, nearly everyone else stayed the same. Some of the secondary characters blended together and I wasn't sure who was who at times.

As the story progressed, it got more and more interesting.

By the time I reached the end, I was pretty absorbed in this world. I wanted all the answers, even I call all the twists and turns early on. 



"Dreams are never as interesting to other people as they are to the person who has them."

"Everything is easier when someone is telling you what to do."

"That's the thing about the pretruth. Once enough people believe it, it's almost impossible to change their minds."

"All I can say is, it's hard reshaping everything you believe. Even when you think you've done it, your old ideas have this habit of popping up to make sure you doubt yourself."


Overall

I think this book might have benefited from a different blurb, as this one gives a lot way. If you don't read it, then the world is more questionable in the sense that you might not predict where everything is going to end up at the start. That said, State of Grace was an interesting read that got better and better as we moved through this world.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...