Have a Happy Halloween! Top Ten Tuesday: Books that May Scare You

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Paper Bindings - Have a Happy Halloween! Top Ten Tuesday: Books that May Scare You
A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme is the Books that May Scare You:




Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs
The pictures and spooky setting really create a great ambiance for the Halloween season.


In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters
I love this book. I know I’ve mentioned this book a million times this year, but it’s just that good. It was even recently the library pick for OverDrive’s the Big Read. The ghost story in here and the general gloomy backdrop make for a good spooky read.


Time for Andrew by Mary Downing Hahn
This book is admittedly more notable for it’s history than the “ghost story” but it’s a wonderful read.


Wait ‘Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn
Scared the crap out of me as a kid.






The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman
A 30 something woman goes back to her old boarding school to face her demons and to discover exactly what happened the night her friends died. The story is a tad predictable but the writing keeps you turning the pages until the end.


Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

This one has a similar style to #5. It’s a mystery set on water that’s an intriguing page turner. I hope to do a full review of it this month.



In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
True crime stuff is what really scares me. Capote’s tale of a seemingly random killing of an entire family is enough to scare even the harshest cynic out there.


I Know my First Name is Steven by Mike Echols
Having someone I love go missing and never finding out what happened to them is another one of my fears.




The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
I love Irving’s stories and this one is a classic. Helps that it’s not far from where I live too!

 

I'm sorry I don't have the full ten for you today. I don't tend to read too many scary books. Do you have any suggestions of books I need to read? Please suggest some in the comments below!

Have a Happy Halloween!


What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Tracy

Tracy is a history/film fan who loves to read YA, historical and contemporary fiction. She’s also a sucker for a sad tale. Harry Potter (“Harry Potter”), Peeta Mellark (“Hunger Games”), Nathaniel Blake (“Little Men”) and Daniel Landon (“Catcher, Caught”) are her literary boyfriends. She’s also the resident Ravenclaw and librarian.

10 comments:

  1. I really really want to read Miss Peregrine's! It looks amazing. I'm not a big fan of scary books, and the blurbs of some of those had me a little worried... Great list though :P
    Here's my TTT on the best magical creatures: https://victoriajaynesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/top-ten-tuesday-28-halloween/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Most of the one's listed here aren't too bad :) Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. I usually am not one for scary books haha, they just don't appeal to me most of the time. However, a few of these have piqued my interest, so thank you for expanding my horizons :)
    Here's my ttt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either lol Yay! I'm glad you liked some of the books on the list.

      Delete
  3. I'm a really big wimp when it comes to horror, so I'd probably avoid these books. The one you've picked seem to be really interesting, for people who enjoy horror, and especially this time of year with Halloween happening at the weekend.

    Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! In the Shadow of Blackbirds and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children are amazing!

    Check out my TTT and my Halloween Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm always glad to hear from more people who like In the Shadow of Blackbirds!!

      Delete
  5. I have yet to read Miss Peregrine's but it made it on several people's list today! Mine is on literary halloween costumes! Samantha http://www.thebookdisciple.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's pretty good. I like the first one in the series much more than second though. Your TTT sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...