Why Yes I'll Take A Side Of Swoon With My Danger - Dark Heart Of Magic (ARC Review)

Saturday, October 24, 2015


Dark Heart of Magic by Jennifer Estep

TITLE: Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade #2)
AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
RELEASE DATE: October 27th 2015
PUBLISHER: Kensington
add to goodreads

“Something Wicked This Way Comes...

As a thief, I stick to the shadows as much as possible. But when the head of the Sinclair Family picks me to compete in the Tournament of Blades, there's no escaping the spotlight—or the danger.

Even though he's my competition, Devon Sinclair thinks I have the best shot at winning what's supposed to be a friendly contest. But when the competitors start having mysterious "accidents," it looks like someone will do anything to win—no matter who they hurt.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about, mobster Victor Draconi is plotting against Devon and the rest of my friends, and someone's going around Cloudburst Falls murdering monsters. One thing's for sure. Sometimes, humans can be more monstrous than anything else...”



RELATED: Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) | Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4) | Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy #5) | Killer Frost (Mythos Academy #6)

I rather love Jennifer Estep's books.

So when I saw Dark Heart of Magic was available on NetGalley, I immediately stopped what I was doing to drag out my laptop and request it.

Picked up right where the last one ended.

Lila was working as Devon's bodyguard while waiting for her chance to take Victor Draconi down and get on the next bus to anywhere but Cloudburst Falls. The whole time she kept been denying her attraction to Devon, because she feared she would ultimately lose another person she cared for. But her heart was the least of her worries when she was drafted to participate in the Families' annual Tournament of the Blades, and the dangers of competing become a bit too serious to ignore.

I'll admit, I wasn't sure what to expect from a tournament. I've read plot lines like that before, so it wasn't entirely something new for me to read. And yet, while reading the book, it never felt like this competition was the heart of the novel as it ends up being for so many other stories. Instead it was all the other dangers and plot threads that really drove the story. That she was forced to participate in the Tournament just added one more complex layer to the fragile ground she was sneaking across.

I admired Lila in book one.
And that admiration did not dim.

She was just as strong and determined as she was in Cold Burn of Magic. Slowly she changed from the girl who thought she needed no one into someone who was more willing to let other in and accept help when they offered it. I am really excited to find out how she'll continue to evolve in the next book of the series. 

I will sail this ship forever.

Just as in Cold Burn of Magic, there were plenty of swoonworthy moments that made me want to fly little banners supporting Devon and Lila. They are just the absolute most adorable couple. Even though they are stuck in this "cannot make a move yet I need to act" zone, my heart just cannot resist shipping them together. They have some of the greatest interactions throughout these pages. 

So much happened in this book.

Not just about the Lila-Devon dynamics, because those were great scenes. Not just about the rising threat the Draconis were becoming, because Victor was one terrifying baddie. Not just about this "friendly" competition, between the Familes, because friendly was a laughable word. 

There were story lines I never saw coming. And those were absolutely great.


"Whether it was a parking lot, a pit, or a palace, there were three rules when it came to a place being too quiet. Too quiet meant you weren't as alone as you thought you were.
Too quiet meant someone was up to something.
Too quiet all too often meant death." (ARC 11%)

"Sometimes humans were more monstrous than anything else." (ARC 13%)

"Never thank someone for something you've earned by being smarter than everyone else." (ARC 35%)

"I stared at her, wondering why she was spilling her guts to me, since I was more or less a complete stranger. Then again, maybe it was easier to reveal your secrets to a stranger, someone who didn't know you and had no expectations about you and your feelings." (ARC 59%)

Overall

If you haven't read Cold Burn of Magic, you really should pick up this book. And if you have, I hope Dark Heart of Magic has landed on you to read list because this was a well written, highly enjoyable sequel. Someone forgot to tell this book it was a second book because it strayed from the traps book twos often fall into.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the helpful review! I like that you set up the link directly to GR so I could add it to by TBR quickly! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. XD I hope you like the book too.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...